• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehoming Rabbits

Where Would You Place Details of a Rabbit (Rabbits) in Need of a New Home ?

• Only on Rabbit Rehome

Votes: 38 46.3%
  • Classified Ads online and in local newspapers

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Ad in Vet Surgery, Petshop

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • There are no circumstances whereby I would EVER rehome a Rabbit

Votes: 33 40.2%

• Total voters
I would never rehome one of my own pets unless I was in extreme circumstances such as hospitalised and no relatives could or would take them on
Having said that..I have friends who would have my pets if I, and my hubby, were to die..so I would hope they would help out in other unforseen circumstances

I think there are situations where rehoming is the best possible thing to do for a pet, and can mean you are being completely selfless by putting the animals needs first, if you realise you are no longer in a position to provide everything your pet needs.

There are definately people out their who love their pets but through no fault of their own realise they can no longer give the care, time or have the finaces needed to look after their pet adequate. Surely it is better in this situation to realise rehoming will be the best option than to keep hold of the animal at all costs and let them suffer. :?

I'd like to think I'll never rehome my babies but if I had to through a very serious illness, I couldn't let my family have them their situations are not suitable. I voted Rabbit rehome or vets.

I think there are situations where rehoming is the best possible thing to do for a pet, and can mean you are being completely selfless by putting the animals needs first, if you realise you are no longer in a position to provide everything your pet needs.

There are definately people out their who love their pets but through no fault of their own realise they can no longer give the care, time or have the finaces needed to look after their pet adequate. Surely it is better in this situation to realise rehoming will be the best option than to keep hold of the animal at all costs and let them suffer. :?

i think i said i never would, but in my head i meant i never would if i had the choice. you are completly right, because i am sure as a rescue you see people who love their pets, but are in a situation where love is not enough.

If i ever found myself to be in a situation like that, i would look into every alternative...but if it came down to it, i would rehome them if i felt they would have a much better life than what my new circumstances could give them.

I totally agree Liz. I don't think you can say you would NEVER rehome an animal under any circumstances as surely if you were homeless no family or friends for example and certainly no money you would have to rehome them. I know that is an extreme example but it's just to make the point that in such cases it would be best for the animal to be rehomed.

I agree Liz, if the animal has turned out to behave in an extreme way that cannot be handled or coped with..it can be best for the animal to find a more suitable home.
Makes it more important to consider all outcomes carefully before aquireing a new pet :?

I voted RR/RU, because that is where I would advertise a rabbit for rehoming I think, if I found a stray or a bunny in need.

However for my own bunnies, they are shared with the O/H so the decision would be half his, but if something happened to me he would take them. If something happened to both of us, my parents/sister would look after them both, or either of my 2 good friends, or Tiggy would go back to Kris, but she'd have to take Bloo with her!

I am lucky I have animal mad family/friends, they would always be there to take care for the zoo for a while if things got really bad.

Hit the nail on the head really well said Liz

I'd never willingly give up any of my bunnies. I'd have to be physically unwell and know I wasn't going to recover to even consider it. It would absolutely tear me apart to part with them - they are life itself, to be without them is unthinkable. If it came to it I would hope to rehome them via the forum as people "know" them and might want to give them a home.

If no one came forward wanting them then RR would be my chosen way of finding a good home plus maybe a notice at the vets ... even see if one of the vet nurses has taken a shine to them. When I booked Roo in for his Myxi jab yesterday the nurse on phone was enquiring how he was going on, having cared for him last weekend, so you never know if someone such has taken a huge shine to your bunnies and that would be a fantastic home for them:love::love:

Edit to add: It wouldn't actually be my choice where Roo and Tinks end up as I've agreed to send them back to rescue :cry::cry: But if it were agreeable to the rescues concerned, I would want to find a suitable person and then have the rescues approve of their new home, it would be nice to find the right person myself, if at all possible.

Last edited:
I think id want them to go to family before i put them up for rehoming :( It would absolutely break my heart to have to rehome any of my kids, and that is what they are to us, kids.

Ive rehomed a bunny before, Tinkerbell. I took Tinkerbell and Scamp in as 'private' rescues, the only place i advertised Tinks was on RR, this forum, and another forum i use :) xXx

steve already knows if we become homeless the buns and chippies and dog will stay at my moms and we will sleep in the van :lol::lol::lol:

if we have to go to scotland that will also be on the understanding they come with us.. we are lucky we have two moms who would do anything for us and our pets..:love:

i also only have pets i could financially cope with as a single woman, i dont rely on a bloke for anything.

made redundant then theres charities available to help with vet care. and im used to eating **** to ensure my bunnies and chippies get thier fruit and veg and Ralph gets his dog treats... Pearl i would have no choice to give back to her real mom should anything go wrong there, not rehoming honouring a signed contract between myself and a rescue. thankfully none of my other animals have that tie.

i can honestly say ill be dead before my pets get new families and i dont think theres anyone in this world that would go hungry for them like i would so i dont think they would recieve better care :D

eta - i just asked ste if he thinks we would need to lose the animals should it all go **** up moneywise.. he said no... as long as we have the diesel to get to Scotland we will all be fine :love::love::love:

Last edited:
I will put up my hand and admit i have rehomed rabbits on both free ads and through vets.... BAD MISTAKE i will always advice and tell of where my rabbits ended up to those who plan to do this.

now if ever i was to rehome any animal which to be honest i dont feel i could ever do again to past experience would be through forum, or rescue where i will do home check before rehoming.

In the past I have rehomed through RR and a leaflet in a feed merchants. :oops: However given hindsight and if I knew then what i knew now etc if I could have that time over again I wouldnt of rehomed any i dont think.
Ummm now in an ideal world I would never rehome any, though if it did come to it I would only do through RR, RU and my vets surgery as we are on v good terms with them and I would trust their help with potential homes too.
Having said that I really woudn't rehome unless it was an absolute last resort. Things haven't been easy the last few months having my 3rd daughter who sleeps very poorly and then my FIL passing away. This has really put a strain on how much time we spend with them and I fee very guilty about that :oops: However they are always clean and well fed and exercised and always get veterinary treatment should they need it.
I am trying to bear in mind that this stage of baby being so young etc will pass and I will soon be able to spend the 'quality' time with them I want to again soon. Does that make sense? Perhaps some people would rehome as they have less time and maybe I'm being selfish but this period in the whole scheme of everything is a short one and I love my bunnies so much :love::love: and I do feel a very strong responsibilty that they are mine forever.

I'd like to say NEVER (And that's definitely how I feel) but sometimes things happen that are out of your control. If the worst was to happen then I wouldn't freely advertise them. They'd either go to a friend or on RR (obviously I'd try and rehome them before going directly to a rescue.)

TBH I think If I posted on here that I had to rehome Ted then I'd have people bashing down my door to have him! :lol::lol::lol: .....It's never going to happen, I'm afraid! ;) He's all mine!! :p

I'd like to say NEVER (And that's definitely how I feel) but sometimes things happen that are out of your control. If the worst was to happen then I wouldn't freely advertise them. They'd either go to a friend or on RR (obviously I'd try and rehome them before going directly to a rescue.)

TBH I think If I posted on here that I had to rehome Ted then I'd have people bashing down my door to have him! :lol::lol::lol: .....It's never going to happen, I'm afraid! ;) He's all mine!! :p

Damn!

What would you do Jane? :)

I was waiting for someone to ask ................

Well as some of you know I have a degenerative condition meaning that I am very likely to become seriously disabled. I had not anticipated that the degeneration would occur so soon or so fast. At the moment I am able to maintain the standard of care I feel my Rabbits deserve even though I am in alot of pain most of the time and on some days that pain makes me faint.

My Rabbits are my life. I have no family and only a handful of friends. Arrangements are in place for the care of my Rabbits should I die. ARC will inherit my house and they will also take on the responsibility of my Rabbits. The ARC Trustees have a copy of my Will.

However, to not be dead but profoundly disabled is another thing. I have arrangements in place for some Rabbits and obviously those from ARC (and their now bonded friends) would go back to ARC.
There are a few Rabbits whom I would hope to be able to home via RR/RU.

Obviously I am just trying to have a plan in hand for 'worst case scenario'.
I have no life without my Rabbits but if I am too disabled to care for all of them how could I keep them and allow them to suffer ?

In an ideal world no, I would NEVER rehome. But over the last 12 months it has become apparent to me that no-one can ever say 'never'............

I hope that should the worst happen I could ask for help on here without being judged. But I accept that may not be the case as in the past I have 'judged' and what goes around comes around...............

I dont think you would be judged Jane and I really feel for you. It must be very scary and worrying for you :( I hope they can help you with medication etc so that you can keep all your little precious ones forever.:love:

I hope that you never have to make the decision Jane and the meds can help you.

I think that should the situation arise you would do the best thing for your bunnies and I for one would not judge you as I know that many other people on here would not either. You are very well respected and I know that many people would support you and help you as much as they can.

Back