• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Regrets - poor Basil piggy

I'm so sorry Elve. :cry: :cry: :cry: I know how you're feeling after losing my own Basil last year. I've had a few boys over the years get impacted and it's not nice having to deal with it - can you imagine having to deal with it with a person - no way!!! :shock:

Even after 15 years of having piggies I'm amazed at how much there is still to learn. I have started weaning mine off the amount of food they're getting and was expecting lots of protests in the night, but it didn't happen. Mind you I did fill the bed areas so full of hay that they couldn't get in so it may be that that kept them quiet! :roll:

Thinking of you and Basil.

thank you kind people :) I've just had a look at another pair of piggies, while I was getting them in the run - only 2yrs old (brothers) and one of them had a massive impaction :shock: I have no idea how he was managing with it - he's heavier than his brother, looks fine and doesn't seem bothered by it at all :shock: I should think he feels better now though - I can see I will be busy now they're all getting older - hopefully the 7 remaining boys will live to a ripe age, now I've made my mistakes on the 3 that have died recently :( Rudolf and Irwin didn't seem to be impacted at all, but who knows?

I'm so sorry Elve, but thank you for sharing this as it's certainly made me aware of something I didn't know about, or the severity of it, and whilst I dont have pigs at the moment you never know what might happen in the future.

no I didn't realise it was so serious - I'd read about it and just thought old boys needed a hand with toileting. Trouble is their appetite must gradually decrease, as they're uncomfortably full if they eat too much, and so their teeth then overgrow, even in just a matter of days. Derek knocked his incisors out and a new set grew back in just a fortnight :shock: so their teeth grow at an incredible rate. I noticed Basil was eating his veg slower on Tues, and I'm thinking those few days eating less hay must have made his molars too long as well - couple that with vitamin deficiency from not being able to eat their caecal poops - they are so finely balanced just one little thing wrong and there's a whole load of complications to their health :( Trouble is once their condition's going down, they are too weak for a GA for a dental too - best to check bums rigourously from now on :?

Awww Elve I'm so sorry about Basil :cry:

Don't be too hard on yourself though, Basil knows you tried and he's in a better place now.

I think he will be proud that you may be able to save future piggies because of what happened with him.

Sending hugs xx

thanks everyone :wave: have checked another little fella - all clear, so it's just Henry I will have to do battle with so far - amazing how he looks such a picture of health with it :?

I'm so sorry Elve, but thank you for sharing this as it's certainly made me aware of something I didn't know about, or the severity of it, and whilst I dont have pigs at the moment you never know what might happen in the future.

I agree with Chloe, thanks for sharing, i too had no idea that this could happen with piggies.

Really sorry you lost Basil :cry: x

Thanks Elve, i have learnt from your experience...i will be checking Ozzys bum regularily.

Atleast Basil didn't die in vain-i am sure we are more aware of our piggies bums now :)

Back