• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Reggie - the Black Labrador puppy

Ahhh, these pics are bringing back puppy memories, he's a handsome chap :love:

Mine has never really lost her clumsiness - that tail is a nightmare :lol:

And I'm glad it's not just mine that had a short concentration span/greedy tum for training - I put it down to her being a chocolate lab, as they are generally not that bright! She is very good in the house, but sometimes there's just so much going on outside that she gets excited - when it's quieter outside she's much more attentive.

Ahhh, these pics are bringing back puppy memories, he's a handsome chap :love:

Mine has never really lost her clumsiness - that tail is a nightmare :lol:

And I'm glad it's not just mine that had a short concentration span/greedy tum for training - I put it down to her being a chocolate lab, as they are generally not that bright! She is very good in the house, but sometimes there's just so much going on outside that she gets excited - when it's quieter outside she's much more attentive.

He's got a lot better with that in the house, the sniffing around for food etc. Outside, because there is no food smells anywhere except me he is very very attentive. Don't get me wrong, he does lose it a little if we are around a lot of other dogs but he gets there eventually.

Another thing he has got better at, is when we were out on a walk and I shouted his name he used to go to the nearest person for a biscuit. Now when I call him he will look around and seek me out, even if he knows others have biscuits on the for their dogs.

I've heard that a lot - chocolate labs not being very "trainable", why is that?

I've heard that a lot - chocolate labs not being very "trainable", why is that?

No idea! If Roxy is anything to go by it would be how easily distracted they are lol.

But they don't seem to ever make it as working dogs like the yellow and black labs do.

She's really good most of the time, and every now and then will have a moment of pure brilliance, but then she'll do something equally as special to balance out, bless her. She's really good with rules and routine - for instance she knows she has to have a bath after she goes for a walk in the woods, and will shoot upstairs and straight in the bath, no questions asked... My dog walker used to find it funny that she would have to go and collect her from the bathroom every time!

I had a Google on labs and it says blacks are the most hyper but most attentive to what their owners are saying, yellows are the most laid back which is why they make the best guide dogs and chocolates are the most distracted and most playful of all 3 so I guess that explains it.

I've never seen a working chocolate lab either. Most guide dogs tend to be yellow labs or golden retrievers, occasionally black labs.

Of course they are all lovely in their own way and all trainable in their own way :D

Amazing pictures :love: can't believe how quick he has grown - is it me or did Zena look puppy like for much longer- she is still gorgeous and happy birthday to her on Wednesday and Mr Reggie is such a handsome boy too - how big is he likely to get? :love:

Amazing pictures :love: can't believe how quick he has grown - is it me or did Zena look puppy like for much longer- she is still gorgeous and happy birthday to her on Wednesday and Mr Reggie is such a handsome boy too - how big is he likely to get? :love:

Zena grew taller a lot quicker but he weighs more than she did at the same age. I'm not really sure how big he will grow to be honest, mum wasn't over big but the lady said dad was a big black boy so could go either way. At the minute I feel he won't be much taller than Zena (although she is very small for an adult BC) but judging by how he looks at the min he will look like a proper stocky English Black Lab.

Could all change though! The rate that Zena shot up I thought she would have been much bigger than she is, but I have read that some labs can be quite slow to mature but shoot up between 4-7 months.

We shall see! :D

He's proper losing his puppy look :( and dog problems - when you lose your front teeth and there is nothing to keep your tongue at bay :lol:

Awww. He certainly is growing up. Love the tongue.

I seem to remember that Zena does this as well (like my Tass) but not cos of lack of teeth.

Awww. He certainly is growing up. Love the tongue.

I seem to remember that Zena does this as well (like my Tass) but not cos of lack of teeth.

She did but not so much now she is all grown up :( it must have been a pup thing for her too! x

when did he get so enormous?! :love:

I don't know! Sometimes he looks so small and then I try to pick him up.. And remember he is much heavier than he looks. He is catching Zena up day by day!

Awww what a stunning boy :love:
Cant believe hes grown so much... theyre not puppies long enough are they.

They definitely aren't :( Zena really shot up fast though, she was much much taller than Reggie at the same age but a lot lighter, I thought she was going to be much bigger as her feet were enormous but she turned out very small for a Border. Now she is looking even smaller as she has fur loss everywhere from her spay! I will be glad when she is looking fluffier again. Reggie seems to be growing taller, slower but he is really piling on the pounds! Putting on about a kilo per week now :(

Aww what a beauty :love: maybe he was sticking his tongue out on purpose as he knew you were snapping away [emoji38]

A few pics of Reggie and Zena :)

They won't fit in here together for much longer..

I'm convinced they both had dorky faces on purpose, this would have been a nice photo!

The outdoor pics aren't from today, it is far too warm for them to play out in this :( They are both fed up and don't know where to lay for the coolest!

Anyway, Reggie is only a couple inches off being the same height as Zena and he isn't far off weighing the same either!!

Back