• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Recovery after anaesthesia

Sonja05

New Kit
Hello 😊

My rabbit Belle an Angora X had a dental procedure 2 days ago on Friday. She had some spurs on her molars that had caused her to stop eating for 24 hours before. She has had the procedure before & bounced back after 24 hours. She’s still not back to herself, she looks very tired, she’s eating a little bit, drinking and doing some poos. She’s having medication twice a day. I was hoping she would be back to her old self today but sadly not. Her partner can be very attention seeking with her & has been known to make her so tired with his pestering before. I’m going to separate them tonight (they’ll still be able to see each other) & see if it’s just rest she needs.

Has anyone had similar experiences with anesthetiser?

Any advice would greatly welcomed.

Best wishes,

Worried Bunny Mum

Hello 😊

My rabbit Belle an Angora X had a dental procedure 2 days ago on Friday. She had some spurs on her molars that had caused her to stop eating for 24 hours before. She has had the procedure before & bounced back after 24 hours. She’s still not back to herself, she looks very tired, she’s eating a little bit, drinking and doing some poos. She’s having medication twice a day. I was hoping she would be back to her old self today but sadly not. Her partner can be very attention seeking with her & has been known to make her so tired with his pestering before. I’m going to separate them tonight (they’ll still be able to see each other) & see if it’s just rest she needs.

Has anyone had similar experiences with anesthetiser?

Any advice would greatly welcomed.

Best wishes,

Worried Bunny Mum

Has she got pain relief? If she is still not eating very much, maybe she needs pain relief plus some gut stimulant. Are her poos normal-looking ie normal size etc

What medication is she on ?

If the spurs caused soft tissue damage in her mouth this will take a few days to heal now the spurs have been removed. So her mouth could still be sore.

How much is she eating ?

Is she drinking ?

Did the Vet take any skull radiographs to assess the tooth roots ? If the tooth roots are elongated then recovery from dental procedures can take a lot longer as tooth root elongation can be very painful.

A follow up call to your vet is recommended. Not eating can slow the gi system. If she has/gets g.i stasis it is a serious condition. Pain relief, syringe feeding recovery food and possibly gut stimulants and fluids may be required. Is her poo normal size?Quantity? Is it firmer than usual? Is she drinking enough to remain hydrated?
Can you tempt her with her favorite greens? My Raven needs frequent dentals and often eats greens and just eats a little hay for a few days after the procedure. Vet previously changed sedation which had Raven very lethargic.

Sending positive vibes for Bella.

Last edited:
Agree with all of above. Pain relief (may need increased dose - ring vet to ask), gut meds and syringe feed. Get her seen by the vet again tomorrow if no significant improvement. At least she's eating a bit and pooing - but needs more food input. If you haven't got any powdered recovery food, you can soak some pellets in hot water until you get a syringeable mush. A bit of eg apple puree baby food may help it to flow better.

Thank you for all of your replies.

Belle is currently on one daily dose of Loxicom and twice daily dose of Emeprid. She’s eating herbs, hay cookies and dried apple leaves, not her usual appetite though. I’ve seen her drinking too. She is pooing but they are small. She’s didn’t have any radiographs taken.

As she’s getting older she’s not coping so well with vet visits or travel to her bunny hotel for holidays. I’m wondering if the procedure takes more of a toll on her. Added with her friend tends to hump her when she’s feeling under the weather hence giving her a break from him tonight.

I really appreciate everyone’s advice. Thank you

Thank you for all of your replies.

Belle is currently on one daily dose of Loxicom and twice daily dose of Emeprid. She’s eating herbs, hay cookies and dried apple leaves, not her usual appetite though. I’ve seen her drinking too. She is pooing but they are small. She’s didn’t have any radiographs taken.

As she’s getting older she’s not coping so well with vet visits or travel to her bunny hotel for holidays. I’m wondering if the procedure takes more of a toll on her. Added with her friend tends to hump her when she’s feeling under the weather hence giving her a break from him tonight.

I really appreciate everyone’s advice. Thank you

I would advise that you supplement her feeds with some syringe feeding. She obviously has some gut motility but lack of input means output will be small. Also, emeprid can cause gripey tummy pain if there isn’t much food in the stomach. Whilst Rabbits are less likely to suffer with GA ulceration as a result of oral Meloxicam than are dogs if the Rabbit isn’t eating much gastric ulceration is a possibility.

Also, it would be a good idea to get a full blood profile run before her next dental. Increasing age and repeated GAs can take a toll on kidney function. Compromised kidney function will make a slow recovery from a GA likely and the Vet would need to consider using a different GA protocol next time.

Thank you for your kind advice. It’s very helpful. I’ll certainly have a chat with the vet. Belle has eaten a good portion of herbs this afternoon so I hope she’s turning a corner. I am looking to remove pellets from her diet to further encourage gay eating although she likes her hay. Hopefully a few changes will extend the time in between treatments.

I am glad Belle is doing better. My dental bunny, Raven, has molars that are not properly aligned, so his teeth do not wear properly even when he eats more hay. A change in his dental protocol has him more alert after his dentals.

Thank you. She’s eating and running around today. Her poos are still a little small but she’s improving. I kept her separate from her mate last night (they could still see each other & kiss through the bars) as he gets a bit humpy and I think it’s the break she needed. I will definitely have a chat with the vet next time about the dental protocol. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you. She’s eating and running around today. Her poos are still a little small but she’s improving. I kept her separate from her mate last night (they could still see each other & kiss through the bars) as he gets a bit humpy and I think it’s the break she needed. I will definitely have a chat with the vet next time about the dental protocol. Thanks for the advice.

Glad to hear that she’s improving now x

Back