• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguard 'Flystrike' its that time again!!!

OMG that is shocking but so nice to see the end results . What causes the flies to lay on healthy parts of the body ? I have an old 9yr old who has a dirty bum sometimes i will be worried sick this year

Tina from waggytails told of this a month ago after one of her customers rang her in a panic, Tina rushed off and the two bunnies survived thanks to Tina and the vets concerned.
I have my outdoor runs fly screaned now thanks again to Tina.

Yeah the bun your looking at on that thread is the bun who is on the first thread (we asked permission from the guy who done this assignment to use it on our webpage) The pics are bad but my bun bless her had her whole back shaved off they take top layer of skin also to make sure no maggots ahve burrowed in.

As stated rearguard is a prevention so that when a fly lands on bunny and lays eggs the eggs are killed by the rearguard. So no eggs no maggots!
As stated any rabbit can get flystrike, you wear moisterisor stroke bun flies are going to be attracted, small child sticky hands stroke bun so on...
But the most common cause is overweight buns who cant clean themselves, arthritic buns/elderly, buns who are incontinant or just smell. Buns with scabs or sores, buns thats just been bathed or sprayed with bun deodrant. The dirty housing buns have pee flies will be attracted to that smell.
This is just an additional extra to prevent flystrike as once maggots have hatched which can be as little as 8 hours (we went to bed got up and ours had it)
No matter what time of year everyone should be doing health checks each day if you want some tips of how to health check go to http://www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com/health_checks.html

Remeber if you do spot maggots then ring vet asap! DO NOT wet fur at all or try and wash them off (clippers wont go through when you get to vets) if you have your own shears then you can just shave it all off or try and pick the blighters off but try and get to vets asap...
wash all bun areas hutch etc incase more eggs.
Now adays the prognosis is good as vets will find out what caused it in first place perhaps bad diet etc but you must get there asap.

Back