• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really upset - horrible petting farm u/d great news!

you went in without paying, knowing it was wrong? I don't understand that.

you needed some kind of evidence of your side of the event. do they have cctv?

if you do it again, take some one with you to film it.

you went in without paying, knowing it was wrong? I don't understand that.

Yes I did. I seriously doubt he would have let me in if I had gone up and paid my £2 entry, so I had to either leave it or take the risk of going in quickly and getting some pictures. I chose to take the risk.

There is just no protection for animals it's very frustrating and I really hope that one day the government will step up and make some proper laws on the way animals are kept. For now like Gus-ta-fury has said it's up to people like you to try and spread your knowledge of rabbit care and to make a stand for them because to be honest there is very little other help. Where abouts is the place I'm wondering if there are other people in your area and it's not too far they can visit and try and re iterate what you have said. It's likely if enough people complain about the conditions they will make changes.

Yes I did. I seriously doubt he would have let me in if I had gone up and paid my £2 entry, so I had to either leave it or take the risk of going in quickly and getting some pictures. I chose to take the risk.

storming the enemy, eh? ok.

I did ring the RSPCA again after I had spoke to the licensing woman, they said they would not be able to help as the council had deemed everything to be okay. I explained the council woman didn't know any of the basic need of rabbits/piggies, and told the RSPCA lady everything that I thought was wrong. She actually said: you're right, it is not appropriate to keep animals in those conditions, but as the council think it's acceptable we can't do anything. I'm really surprised at this :?

That is ridiculous, so their hands are tied if someone from the council, who probably, as you say, have no knowledge of the needs of rabbits and piggies, says their living conditions are fine!

I really have no idea what else you can do :(

storming the enemy, eh? ok.

I might send £2 to them with a note saying this is my entry fee, I didn't think you would let me pay to come in, along with some rabbit care leaflets. I don't know if that would calm him down or annoy him even more though :?

Just urgh :( stupid red tape!

Could you maybe go to your local paper, not libelling this place, but instead with Action for Rabbits or RWAF behind you to do a piece or two on the proper care of rabbits, (and guineas and ferrets). This could be a roundabout way for other members of the public visiting there having seen that and realising it's wrong what they're doing and complaining themselves.

Educate his customers.

I might send £2 to them with a note saying this is my entry fee, I didn't think you would let me pay to come in, along with some rabbit care leaflets. I don't know if that would calm him down or annoy him even more though :?

well, you could claim you were doing the right thing and it would annoy him. I think I'd do it, but I can be very annoying!

You should never feel like that. Defenseless captive animals like rabbits depend on selfless people like you. You are inspirational, keep trying the Facebook group with your story and you may find some locals willing to help you out by keeping complaining. Eventually the manager will probably make the changes, just to keep what he deems 'nuisances' off his back.

The world we live in and the freedoms we enjoy are thanks to selfless people like you making a stand and risking getting into trouble because they knew doing the right thing (even if it did 'get you in trouble') was still the right thing to do

for now i wouldnt visit the petting zoo in person again, but would see if you can inspire anyone else to carry your fight on on your behalf
This :0)

My friend went up to the farm for a kids party yesterday and I asked her to have a look around for me. She's just got back to me and said the small animals now have loads of hay and more tunnels & boxes to hide in, so things have improved! When I spoke to the council they did say even though they couldn't enforce anything, they would send some information on proper diet, access to hay etc. so they must have done that.

It's far from perfect but I'm just glad that they've made some improvements :D The lack of hay and hiding places were the two things that bothered me the most so I'm glad they're sorted, hopefully they will keep it up! I will keep asking anyone who goes up there to check the conditions for me, and the RSPCA have them on file now, so I hope that when things quieten down for them they will be able to visit if there's any problems :thumb:

Back