• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rascal behaving a little odd

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hi all, I wonder if you could help.

Rascal lost his wifey bun 3 weeks ago, they had lived together since being babies and they live in outdoor 15 x 10ft (with 8ft double decker hutch) aviary style accommodation.

When Dizzi first passed on we brought Rascal indoors but it was clear that he wasn't happy (he's never liked being inside, he's a proper outdoors rabbity rabbit) so we put him back outside. At first he was happy and binkying all over the place but the last few days I've noticed he sits in one place for long periods of time and only moves about more when I go and sit in the run with him.

When I'm there he goes about his usual jobs ....eating hay, using his litter tray, having a drink, just noseying around in general. He's also let out into the garden twice a day but isn't keen on coming out unless one of us sits out there with him (usually we're in and out but keep a close eye on him through the open patio doors).

I'm wondering if, as he was the bossman out of the two bunnies, he is actually being 'on watch' and feels like he can't move around or do his rabbity stuff until one of us is 'on watch' in his place (ie sat in the garden/run with him)? Or is he just lonely?

I got him a soft toy but he isn't interested in it.

We have reserved him a little friend from the local rescue but she's only just been spayed so we have to wait a couple of weeks before her arrival. I just hate to think of him as scared or lonely or sad.

Any advice would be great x

Sorry Rascal isn't his usual self, I think you are doing the right things providing him with company, soft toy etc, hopefully if you can give him some toys to try to stimulate him he might feel more like coming out more

It sounds like he is grieving. My bun did the same when he lost his wife. Just sat on my windowsill all day and only perked up when I spent time with him. It was very sad to see. :(

Getting him a friend is definitely the best option. :)

Thanks for your replies

It's awful to see him like this ..........Poor little poppet's world has been turned upside down, he must feel so sad.

I'll make sure I spend even more time with him.

VB did your bunny go back to his usual self once he had a new friend?

x

Her perked up immediately. In the time he was alone (a few months) he ended up needing two dentals and had several bouts of stasis. Since being bonded he has only had the odd episode of not eating and generally goes about 8 months between dentals. He also started scoffing his hay again and being much more active. x

Back