• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RANT - Getting Rid of Bunny Waste

The council doesn't even collect the waste at all from the apartments round here, we all have to pay ground rent and a private company empties the big bins in the bin yards and we just throw everything in. They've recently put a couple of huge recycling bins in so once I know what to put in them I'll start doing it.

And we pay council tax- why!? (Well I don't at the moment because I'm a student but my o/h does)

Actually a very small percentage of your council tax goes towards waste collections, think it is around 50p a month on average, most goes on police, fire etc

i am going to get a wormery - they eat rabbit waste and newspaper and organic stuff like wood based litter as well as kitchen/garden waste. You get out liquid fertiliser for your plants/garden.

we tip ours out onto the garden. It is fabulous and makes the soil really nice. So much so my mum wanted some so we saved her a large binful of poo and wee. Nice!!!

The bin men take most of mine. If I start getting over run I take it down the tip and it is so slackly run I could tip it anywhere there! :roll:

We don't have a problem with bin men taking it away [although between me and my dad, we produce so little household waste that isn't recycled I guess they don't care].

I guess it's a problem for the composting schemes as it would attract vermin. All that hay and straw is great for bedding, plus any leftover bits of food.. and yes.. some animals probably would have a nibble of bunny poo! :lol:

I only have 2 smallish buns, so I put my waste in my brown compost bin with no hassle, although we do have a wormery, so I might start giving some to them. In the summer all the poo goes to the tomatoes, raspberries and broccoli though!:lol:

I only have 2 smallish buns, so I put my waste in my brown compost bin with no hassle, although we do have a wormery, so I might start giving some to them. In the summer all the poo goes to the tomatoes, raspberries and broccoli though!:lol:

I am actually just chatting online to original organics about wormeries and rabbit waste. Shredded newspaper is fine. Wood based litter and wood shavings and a bit tough in large quantities. Rabbit poos are ok BUT not recommended coz they might pass on a virus ot the worms or have pesticides in the poos - infact here is the conversation:

Liam Martin: Good Afternoon, How can I help you?
Rachel Davies: Hi - I wondered if you can put rabbit waste in a wormery ie rabbit droppings, wood based litter, newspaper, wood shavings etc?
Liam Martin: Hi, unfortunately not on the droppings or wood
Liam Martin: But yes on the newspaper.
Rachel Davies: oh - there seems to be quite a difference between companies on what you can put in a wormery - why is that? ie some say yes to rabbit poos coz they are veggie based some say no etc and the same with the litter - is confusing coz i don't want to get one and then feed the worms the wrong things
Liam Martin: It should all be the same, to be honest. The difference is in what the companies say, not what is actually correct :)
Liam Martin: You can put rabbit droppings into a wormery
Liam Martin: but we don't recommend it
Liam Martin: because of pesticides etc....
Liam Martin: other companies choose to ignore that because they want to maximise their sales and would rather not tell the risks!
Rachel Davies: oh so from medicines you give your rabbits?
Liam Martin: Yep... and any infection, illnesses or virii that the rabbits may have
Liam Martin: it's similar to cats and dogs
Liam Martin: some people sell wormeries as pet poo convertors
Liam Martin: but it can be rather unsafe
Liam Martin: So, the full answer is , yes - it may technically work. But do so at your own risk as the worms may not survive.
Rachel Davies: so is wood based litter a no go coz it is too much for the worms or because they contain other harmful ingredients?
Liam Martin: It depends on whether or not it's natural wood. But usually, it's because it will overwhelm the worms.
Liam Martin: and the worms can only stomach soft things
Liam Martin: hence why food waste goes a bit mouldy before they eat it.
Liam Martin: you may find if you put wood shavings into the wormery, that you get compost with wood shavings in it
Liam Martin: they're better in a compost bin.
Rachel Davies: thanks - one last question- i also read they eat kitchen towel?
Liam Martin: Yep... that's good for the wormery, but it's most important factor is that it soaks up excess moisture.
Rachel Davies: ok - thank you - and one other thing - sawdust? that gets soggy easilt so easy to eat as a worm in small quantities?
Liam Martin: sawdust is fine, but again, it may not rot down enough in time for the worms to process it. If it's rotted already, then fine.

Well I don't ever use woodshavings, only carefresh which is cardboard, and newspaper in my litter trays. The newspaper is a hassle as it can't go into the brown bin, only the black bin, so they'd only have gotten that. But then I guess as its peed over it can be more risky as my 2 are vaccinated so I'd assume the paper is contaminated....

Well its not like the worms have a food shortage anyway, so thanks for that, I think I'll just leave it!:D

We've been doing a mixture of putting waste in with the normal rubbish and taking it to the tip, where it just goes in the household rubbish.

I don't think we can put it in our green bins and our garden is 'landscaped' with gravel, so there's no need for compost. :rolleyes:

We fill our black bin then we've got two elderly neighbours that live on their own that say we can use their bins too :D
My Dad has most of the leftover hay/straw for our compost bin.

The tip I use, all the guys are great if I go on my own they always come over and help me unload and even told us that they would be putting a skip outside the gates to the tip Christmas Eve and New years Eve:D

crikey i never even though this was an issue, mine gets dumped in with the weekly rubbish, the newspaper (unsoiled) goes in the paper receycling bin and the rest in with the normal rubbish....
The vet bed and hammocks get their weekly wash in the machine and thats mine done....

we have 3 compost bins (all full) and are at the moment putting it in normal waste (naughty I know but I figure the landfills going to need some organic stuff to help the plastic compost :lol:). This year I hope to build a mamoth trio of composting bins using pallets and lalandia stumps (about 2m*1m*6m) which should do the bulk of it and I've also switch to megazorb which may break down faster wood shavings.....I thought about a wormery but they are all a bit on the piddly side for our needs.

Mine goes in the composting bin the council take away - rabbit waste makes excellent compost; plus there's no worry about disease like with dog & cat waste.

:shock: I just put mine in the bin and they take it, and I asked first and they said yes as long as its only rabbit waste

I double bag mine and take it to the tip and, although the lads there look at me a bit odd when I take 6 big bags of poo, they don't have a problem with it.

Maizy which tip do you take it to?

I bought a compost bin from my local council, it was £9 inc delivery. I can't stand the thought of sending the waste to landfill.

Me or OH goes to the tip every week.They never ask what is in the black bags:?
We have been going so long we know most of them now:lol::lol:
I have often wondered what the must think of us going every week.Surely they must wonder what is in the bags:shock:

Back