• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits - robust or not

So all of you who don't believe rabbits should be given lots of hay to keep warm would be ok to take your buns out of your nice warm house, where they have been living, into the very cold mid October weather and be happy with doing that without adequate hay?

I've just done that. Ailsa went out at the beginning of October. She still seems to prefer lying on the hard floor no where near the hay.

I think healthy rabbits with a good winter coat don't need babying. But I still worry and probably do it slightly. I just make sure they have plenty of hay, snugglesafes and their hutch is wind and rain proofed :)

Can we try and keep this nice?

My rabbits don't have piles and piles of hay, they have eachother to cuddle to and a box to keep warm in.

My point is....if they have just come out of a warm house, they haven't got a thick coat to protect from the cold!!

Can we stop the squabbling please; it's like refereeing my primary school-aged children.

The wording of Snow White's post could have been better but I think the point is, this thread was started as a result of another thread. That doesn't mean it's ok to use this thread to continue the digs that were going on already in that other thread so let's just stick to the original question please.

My point is....if they have just come out of a warm house, they haven't got a thick coat to protect from the cold!!

Im sorry I have to agree that taking buns out of a house environment in the middle of october and not providing them hay deep enough to snuggle into and keep warm if they feel necessary is a bit of an issue in my eyes :?

ETA sorry Karen saw your post after I replied.

Can we stop the squabbling please; it's like refereeing my primary school-aged children.

The wording of Snow White's post could have been better but I think the point is, this thread was started as a result of another thread. That doesn't mean it's ok to use this thread to continue the digs that were going on already in that other thread so let's just stick to the original question please.

:thumb: sorry cap'n:oops:

Im sorry I have to agree that taking buns out of a house environment in the middle of october and not providing them hay deep enough to snuggle into and keep warm if they feel necessary is a bit of an issue in my eyes :?

ETA sorry Karen saw your post after I replied.

What if they don't use it to snuggle though? Genuine question :) mine literally flatten it and dig it out, they have carpet in their bed area which is insulated, but never use it, if I put hay anywhere but their litter tray they just flatten it and sit on the opposite side from where it is :roll:

What if they don't use it to snuggle though? Genuine question :) mine literally flatten it and dig it out, they have carpet in their bed area which is insulated, but never use it, if I put hay anywhere but their litter tray they just flatten it and sit on the opposite side from where it is :roll:

Then thats fair enough but they have the choice :) How do we know as humans what they feel temperature wise? or what they do when we are fast asleep and not watching them? or wether they might do if they feel scared etc...who knows at that point wether they would burrow to try and feel safe/protected etc...Im not arguing or being awkward or anything I just feel that if someone moved a dog out of a home environment and was put in a kennel outside with no way of keeping warm should they choose then there would be uproar! We are moving into winter and its cold out there... I dont often like to sleep with the duvet on but ocassionally I do...its about choice isnt it :)

I think *generally* most rabbits are more robust than we think/give them credit for.

I personally think that the introduction of House rabbits has weakened their immune systems slightly, obviously this is not always the case.

I know with the exception of my two parabuns, who actually manage okay despite their issues, that my buns are incredibly tough, they don't need snuggle safes, or excessive amounts of hay, prefering instead to sleep outside in the cold concreted overnight run

If you try reading properly, you would have seen right at the beginning of this thread that Georgie stated it was 'Triggered by Emmies thread...'.

I wish you'd stop attacking emmie! What she's done for her buns is awesome and you just seem to be belittling it! They're normally outdoors bunnies anyway and have only been indoors temporarily for bonding (which means they have extra friends and company now which is great) so they probably had built up a winter coat from being outside previously so putting them out is not going to affect them so much. On top of that the new accommodation looks to have a large fully enclosed area which will easily fit all four bunnies and not have a draught. And they have a pile of hay that they can burrow in (you say it's not adequate, but that is your opinion and there seems to be plenty of people who believe adequate to be different from your opinion). And there's FOUR of them to snuggle and share warmth! I really think emmie has done everything thing she can to make them have space and company and be happy, who are you to say she's done things wrong and to criticise, she knows her bunnies better than you do, and she's improving their lives!

I think that much like ourselves rabbit have personal preference of how warm or cool the want to be. I know that Rosie is slightly more hardy and doesn't mind a bit of a chill but still enjoys laying out on hay. Whereas Pebbles loves to be toasty. He loves to sit in the sun like a lizard and warm up. If it is too cold or windy for him he will squeeze up into a ball and have his ears flat down. Trying to stay warm. So that's why I have gotten him a snugglesafe.

Every rabbit is different.

Then thats fair enough but they have the choice :) How do we know as humans what they feel temperature wise? or what they do when we are fast asleep and not watching them? or wether they might do if they feel scared etc...who knows at that point wether they would burrow to try and feel safe/protected etc...Im not arguing or being awkward or anything I just feel that if someone moved a dog out of a home environment and was put in a kennel outside with no way of keeping warm should they choose then there would be uproar! We are moving into winter and its cold out there... I dont often like to sleep with the duvet on but ocassionally I do...its about choice isnt it :)

I just have very difficult rabbits:roll::lol:

But they are her rabbits, not anyone's on here so only she can decide. I know when mine were indoors for a day my mom wanted them out as soon as so I imagine her parents felt the same.

Last edited:

:thumb:

Having lost a bunny a few years ago to the cold Winter I always feel a bit worried when winter comes along and I am constantly checking and double checking that there is enough bedding and warmth for them. My main concern is that they have the option of as much bedding as possible to keep them warm so if they prefer not to be in it, it is up to them. A snugglesafe is a must for me though.

Missy had one last winter and she would lie on or beside hers and as this is my first winter with Leo his as been ordered this week so we will see how he gets on with his :)

I just have very difficult rabbits:roll::lol:

But they are her rabbits, not anyone's on here so only she can decide. I know when mine were indoors for a day my mom wanted them out as soon as so I imagine her parents felt the same.

Yeah I have a couple of those too :roll::lol:

Yes of course they are but this is a public forum of people that are passionate about rabbits...your bound to get peoples opinions :thumb: ETA no one has said anything about her moving them outside but rather the lack of warm bedding...I think we all understand how difficult living with parents can be :roll::lol:

Emmiee (sporry if i spelt that wrong!) I love your kennel and I hope the buns had a good first night in there! :love: What about a cat carrier stuffed full of hay or something? just thinking of easy/cheap options? they could sit on that too :) My rosey bun has her carrier in her crate indoors and loves it! :thumb:

Last edited:
Ive beome very confused with this thread
In my opinion - no one is arguing about keeping buns in kennels / sheds / wendy houses etc etc... that is up to the individual owner... not everyone can keep indoor bunnies. However people arguing about giving them an abundance of hay to snuggle into on cold winter nights is a bit beyond me :?
So what if the bunny doesnt snuggle in it???? thats his choice - I have one bunny that doesnt drink much water but it doesnt mean as he doesnt drink much I dont bother filling his bowl.
At the end of the day - hay is not that expensive, especially this year

I am a firm believer in 'a warm bed but cold air'.
I give all my animals to option of a draft free bedded area in which to sleep, I DON'T cover everything as a good airflow is imortant to keep things healthy.
The only bun that uses the hay stuffed boxes I provide is Hollyhock, she also happens to be the only single bun I have ATM.
I don't use shutters except in the driving rain, I don't lock mine in at night (fox froof runs fortunately) and I don't provide artificial heat.
I DO make sure every bun has a spot that is never near freezing point (excellent use for a too small hutch, board up the doors, cut a pop hole and fill with straw:thumb:) I DO feed extra so buns can compensate for the extra energy used.
I DO have a pig lamp should a case come in that needs it, ie babies.
I do try and keep buns in groups so they are more akin to their wild cousins. A draft free shelter above freezing point (aka a burrow) is IMO more important than an artificial heat source. Having said that, If the buns like using them and the owners are able to continue to provide them every night till spring then why not use heat pads?:D

Back