• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits - robust or not

But he has been given the choice - that makes all the difference :D

:thumb:

Many years ago I had a lovely little mini lop called Poppy. She lived in a massive set up "inside" our garage with her partner Sonny... At the time it wasnt heated and although they always had hay stacked up to the roof.... she always chose to sit out of it.... One cold morning Poppy was flat and cold.... she was freezing..... I nearly lost her.... I had to bring her in and gradually warm her up... She was a completley healthy bunny..... just got cold :(
She recovered but since that day I will NEVER allow any of my bunnies to become remotley chilled..... scared me to death :(

Theres a bunny conspiracy going on... Wind up your owners !!!!

Honestly, I swear he's doing it on purpose?!!

It hopefully will be different when his wee pal comes to stay and they can snuggle up together.. If it gets much colder I will be shutting him in his hutch to ensure he cant sit on the cold slabs......

Last edited:
but how much warmth do they actually need? I've observed my 2 shunning snuggly things but I continue to offer them just incase when it gets colder, how much of it is actual need and how much is us projecting our feelings onto the rabbits?

I actually agree with you. I provide heated sheds, snuggle safes and now an electric heat pad for my geriatric doe. However, the bunnies usually shun all of this and choose to sit outside on even the coldest winter night. I feel better knowing that they have the option to go somewhere warm, dry and snuggly - whether they choose to use it or not is up to them. As owners, we must ensure they have somewhere warm and dry to retreat to but I don't think it's necessary to go to the lengths we do. A thick layer of straw in which to burrow and snuggle in a dry and draft-free area is sufficient. The heated shed, insulation, heat pads, carpet etc is just to make me feel better :D.

So all of you who don't believe rabbits should be given lots of hay to keep warm would be ok to take your buns out of your nice warm house, where they have been living, into the very cold mid October weather and be happy with doing that without adequate hay?

So all of you who don't believe rabbits should be given lots of hay to keep warm would be ok to take your buns out of your nice warm house, where they have been living, into the very cold mid October weather and be happy with doing that without adequate hay?

Precisely:thumb:

It's quite clear that, like us our bunnies are all different! My outdoor buns never sit in any of the cosy dens provided, or burrow or snuggle into the heaps of fragrant meadow hay, or even sleep snuggled up to each other for that matter. They do however have the most lush coats imaginable and sometimes find summer a bit of a trial :roll:

It's quite clear that, like us our bunnies are all different! My outdoor buns never sit in any of the cosy dens provided, or burrow or snuggle into the heaps of fragrant meadow hay, or even sleep snuggled up to each other for that matter. They do however have the most lush coats imaginable and sometimes find summer a bit of a trial :roll:

Yes, I struggle keeping mine cool in summer.. Donny does not cope well with heat :( I have to keep a very close eye on him in hot weather.

None of mine have the need to grow such a coat to find summer even a bit of a trial :?

but how much warmth do they actually need? I've observed my 2 shunning snuggly things but I continue to offer them just incase when it gets colder, how much of it is actual need and how much is us projecting our feelings onto the rabbits?

I guess it probably varies from bun to bun but with my 2 it's definitely only for my benefit! They ignore their warm hutches, pay no attention to their snugglesafes, push towels and blankets into the corner, and spend most of the night sat out on the paving slabs in their run! But I continue to give them all of the above things 'just in case' (which I think really means 'to make myself feel better'!)

I know I'm a soft touch. I'm such a soft touch I can't have outdoor bunnies anymore :lol:...I have 2 hutches mind...but they're for playtime in the summer.

My bunnies are house bunnies, have snuggle safes (2 each) and all flop on them and use them.
IMG520.jpg

They have lots of Hay - changed every day
SDC10757.jpg

and they have the central heating on in their bunny rooms.

I also provide blankets to snuggle on and hideyholes
IMG711.jpg

I also won't let the bunnies out in the garden unless it's 100%dry outside and warm. :oops: and it has to be summer time, spring, autumn, winter is a no go :D

I know everyone is different and I probably do baby them too much...but then Tinks likes a good warm bun...
IMG507.jpg

Last edited:

Whats THAT got to do with this thread?

i personally find you tedious, you only post when you want to bully other members.

what people do with their rabbits is quite frankly bogg all to do with you.
If you have concerns go take them out with the owners of the 90% of rabbits stuck in 4ft hutches this winter!

Inside or out I think I would still offer a rabbit a snugglesafe/ a bed area stuffed with hay to burrow in.
In our house Buckley creates his own burrows out of the furniture and his paper and hay. He finds places where his body warmth will multiply, like under the dresser, if he's cold. He's shredded a yellow pages and filled up under the dresser with shredded paper, hay and blankets. It was delightful to watch him do it. If he's cold he burrows into his pile of paper, munches some hay and comes out to use his litter tray. If he's cosy enough he comes and sits under the window, snuggles into his cuddly elephant and has a nap.

I think the important thing is that they have a choice. If they're warm they'll sit outside in their run and be perfectly happy, but if for any reason they do get chilly they should have somewhere snuggly to go.

It depends - if you compare them to cats and dogs, they're very sensitive temperature wise. Cats/dogs can easily adapt but rabbits, not so much. Here you can't keep them outdoors through the winter without heating or bringing them indoors on cold nights because they don't grow thick coats. Years ago, someone my parents knew lost a bunch of rabbits one night when the temps went below freezing, even though they were in a shed with plenty of hay.

Whats THAT got to do with this thread?

i personally find you tedious, you only post when you want to bully other members.

what people do with their rabbits is quite frankly bogg all to do with you.
If you have concerns go take them out with the owners of the 90% of rabbits stuck in 4ft hutches this winter!

If you try reading properly, you would have seen right at the beginning of this thread that Georgie stated it was 'Triggered by Emmies thread...'.

I don't give mine piles of hay. Nor do the guinea pigs get that. My trio have a dog cage with a fleecy blanket double up over it, and foam mats around that. They do have hay in there, but only maybe an inch or two. It's not thick. The pair have the same amount of hay but in a hutch. All 5 rabbits tend to sleep on the floor or in a cardboard box, so I don't believe they are cold.

This is what the trio have

Jura by Niseag, on Flickr

And the pair

Finished bunny shed by Niseag, on Flickr

Back