• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Research survey on problem behaviours in pet rabbits

sarrot

New Kit
Hi all, I'm conducting a research study into problem behaviours in pet rabbits. The details are all given below. If your rabbit shows some sort of behaviour that you would class as a "problem", however big or small, I would love to hear from you. If there are any issues using the link please do let me know and I will try to sort it out as soon as possible.

University%20of%20Lincoln_logo_MS%20WORD%20-%20Black%20Landscape.jpg

Participants wanted for a research study into problem behaviours in rabbits

Participation is completely voluntary. If you think you might be interested, some more details are given below:

What do I need to do?

We’re looking for participants to complete an online survey investigating:
• The types of problem behaviours present in pet rabbits in the UK;
• How serious people think these problems are; and
• Where they might look for advice.
This is the first of two questionnaires that we’ll be distributing, and for this one responses need to be typed, rather than relying on multiple choice. This is so that we can get as much information as possible.

Am I eligible?

Anyone who works with or owns rabbits is eligible, provided you are over 18 and legally able to give consent for your participation.

Will anyone know I’ve participated?

The survey is completed anonymously.

How do I participate?

To participate, just click on the following link, which will take you to the survey: https://lincoln.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/rabbit-behaviour

Who is conducting the research?

The research is being conducted as part of an MSc thesis.
Researcher: Sarah Rothwell, Postgraduate Student
Email: 18707869@students.lincoln.ac.uk
Supervisor: Ambrose Tinarwo, Senior Lecturer in Animal Behaviour and Welfare
Email: atinarwo@lincoln.ac.uk
Phone: 01522 83 5429

The project “Problem Behaviours in Pet Rabbits” contributes to research conducted on behalf of the University of Lincoln and has received a favourable ethical opinion by a University Research Ethics Committee. Ethics reference 2021_1069
If you have any concerns, please contact ethics@lincoln.ac.uk

I'm sorry I can't complete it - I would if I could (got to 36%) but my bunnies don't have any problem behaviours I don't think. Really nice not to have to do multiple choice.

Good luck with your research

I also started the survey and gave up when it came to defining the issue with the rabbit.

It may help if there was some sort of definition or preamble of 'problem behaviour'. What some may see as 'problems' are just normal rabbit behaviour (digging, chewing, not liking handling, fighting between un-neutered siblings, etc). Or is that what you are trying to determine?

On the plus side, it's very refreshing to see a survey without leading questions eg on diet and housing, which are often based on misconceptions of rabbit care (eg carrots & small hutches) and not on current good practice guidelines. We see several a year on here that are multi-choice but don't really fit with eg RWAF recommendations, and don't have an 'other' box.

I would be very interested in your findings, if you are able to share them at the end of the study.

Thank you all for you help.

You're exactly right that some people find normal behaviours to be a "problem". It goes the other way too. A rabbit might be showing a behaviour that indicates a welfare issue, but the owners don't think it is a problem. I left it open-ended for that reason but your feedback is really appreciated. I can't change the current survey because I would have to get it through the ethical approval process all over again, but your comments will be really useful to the next iteration, which will be based off the answers to this one.

Ah yea I couldn't get past 36% either, my lot don't really have any behavioural issues, one of mine did have a bit but doesn't anymore and it was because of a drug he was given.. So Idk if that's really a behavioural issue? [emoji38]

Ah yea I couldn't get past 36% either, my lot don't really have any behavioural issues, one of mine did have a bit but doesn't anymore and it was because of a drug he was given.. So Idk if that's really a behavioural issue? [emoji38]

Personally I would say that counts. Behaviour is behaviour. There’s a bit after that about what you think/know the cause to be.

Back