• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits outside or inside in London

Do you also believe that all black people are in gangs, and that they all steal?

If you really believe that people of an Indian or Chinese heritage are like that, perhaps it would be better not to move to a multicultural city like London? Might be better off in the middle of nowhere in Wales or the south of England, where there are less of those scary foreigners.

:lol:

Seriously though, someone of Indian or Chinese nationality is no more likely to hurt your animals than someone of British nationality. After all, I like eating bacon, but that doesn't mean I'm going to steal someone's pig and slaughter it, does it? Yes, your garden is more likely to get broken into in London than in some village or small town, but that is due to the sheer amount of people in the city and the crime rate being higher, not a person's national heritage.

Also, gypsies are predominantly white. Sometimes Nans aren't the best people to take advice on when it comes to modern issues, as some of their views can be of their own time, as in this case. People were a lot less tolerant of different races back in her day, and obviously she has retained some of that thinking.

Just what I was thinking, you may be in for a shock in London ;)

I must admit, coming from somewhere that is mainly white/asians I do get nervous around black or middle eastern people simply because I have never met one :oops: I get nervous and never know how to act incase I offend them and make them angry! Probably silly of me, but I get nervous around anyone new.
Even when I was in London visiting family as a little girl, it would be quite a shock (and almost scary) to see such a variety of different people in such a small area, with such different ways of life etc. And I guess my nans stories didn't help either! Now that I am older though I love it, the variety, history and hustle and bustle :love: but I never get to visit London that often anymore, even though ALL of my family lives up there :(

I feel quite lucky to not be hateful and racist like a lot of the people I have met down here. Some of the farmers kids I met in school and stuff were quite bad :shock:

I must admit, coming from somewhere that is mainly white/asians I do get nervous around black or middle eastern people simply because I have never met one :oops: I get nervous and never know how to act incase I offend them and make them angry! Probably silly of me, but I get nervous around anyone new.
Even when I was in London visiting family as a little girl, it would be quite a shock (and almost scary) to see such a variety of different people in such a small area, with such different ways of life etc. And I guess my nans stories didn't help either! Now that I am older though I love it, the variety, history and hustle and bustle :love: but I never get to visit London that often anymore, even though ALL of my family lives up there :(

I feel quite lucky to not be hateful and racist like a lot of the people I have met down here. Some of the farmers kids I met in school and stuff were quite bad :shock:

Maybe you just need to start seeing people as people rather than what colour their skin is? Seriously I thought attitudes like yours died out with your granma's generation!

I think this thread is heading off on a totally different tangent. Let's get back to the original question.

Inside or outside? All things considered if you are in any doubt about their safety by being outdoors, then either bring them indoors or you may have to have them fostered.

I really hope that you are able to keep them all and have them safe and secure indoors.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Maybe you just need to start seeing people as people rather than what colour their skin is? Seriously I thought attitudes like yours died out with your granma's generation!

It's nothing to do with colour, it's the culture differences people have.

I am related to a black person so my nervousness it isn't because someone has more melanin in their skin.

Stealing pets and eating them is of course wrong and horrifying...but I don't see eating wild pigeons as any different from eating chicken etc meat bought at the grocery store. Better quality of life for the pigeons at least. People just think certain meat would taste bad based on their prejudices, like pigeons and rats are "nasty pests" so obviously they couldn't taste good:lol: I'm vegetarian and think all meat tastes bad.

its more to do with the fact that the pigeons aren't in good health is what makes me feel funny.

I am asian and feel very sad that there is the impression that indians and chinese trap pets and eat them:( obviously in some parts of china they still do that. But pls know that that's really a tiny tiny minority and the vast majority of us also think thats disgusting.

Perhaps if you rent directly from the landlord and not through an agency you will have a better chance of having your animals with you. My experience of renting has always been that individuals are much nicer and more understanding if you explain your situation and demonstrate that you are a responsible owner. Agencies wont give a damn about what you think. :roll:

I know its a minority, I only know of those 2 places that have been caught doing this.
I hope I didn't offend you with my post :(
Sorry if I did.

I know its a minority, I only know of those 2 places that have been caught doing this.

Except I bet these were just rumours and neither is actually true. In fact if you google the first place you mentioned, you will find news stories which tell you they were shut down by the UK Border agency because illegal immigrant workers were found during a raid, not cats and dogs in freezers ;) Invariably the sorts of stories you have been told are completely made up!

I hope I didn't offend you with my post :(
Sorry if I did.

Absolutely no offense taken! :wave:
I am asian but married to a white. I live in Switzerland, speak english (mother tongue), chinese and french, and my friends are from all over the world! I love that our world is so diverse and interesting like that, but yet we are all actually the same inside. As someone said, people are people not defined by their race. :D

BUT the point of the thread was whether to she could keep her animals indoors or not. Its been many years since i lived in london so perhaps someone who us currently living there now could have better advice.

I wouldn't believe the stories about the cats and dogs in restaurants, hear it all the time and is always 'someone found a ID tag in their food' :/ I've heard it about so many different restaurants I think it's just people being silly tbh.

I wouldn't have my bunnies outside because I'm a worrier (I live in London), but we had guineas outside for years and they were always fine, it would just be the same precautions taken with foxes as anywhere else really and if you don't think your run would stand up to a fox where you are now it may be important to have a look at it because I imagine foxes can be anywhere.

My mum has chickens at the school where she teaches and foxes come (you can see their paw prints around the coop whenever it snows), but they have a very secure coop and there has never been any sign of the foxes getting even close to getting in.

The number of foxes is generally decreasing where I live (think), because my borough has started to implement wheely bins which obviously cuts back on their food sources.

I really wouldn't believe any of these ridiculous stories about Chinese and Indian resturants. Why would they use cats and dogs, they have their own suppliers for chicken and beef etc. Utter nonsense about cats and dogs. Urban myths, like Kentucky Fried Rat.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/15/chinese-restaurant-dog-meat-myth

Totally agree, you hear those idiotic stories everywhere. Apparantly a Chinese in my home town got shut down because 7 different kinds of semen was found in the food :roll:

Totally agree, you hear those idiotic stories everywhere. Apparantly a Chinese in my home town got shut down because 7 different kinds of semen was found in the food :roll:

Oh yes I heard the semen one too, but that was in Australia. Geez these guys must travel. These stories really get around. :roll:

Anyway on the London and foxes issue. I have lived around different areas in London for 20 years. I wouldn't worry about neighbours or yobbos, we may not have lived in the greatest area in some parts of London but all our neighbours were lovely. Had bunnies outside for a total of 7 years. No problem with any foxes for 6 years, then boom, fox tried to break into my bunnies hutch and my girl of 9 died of a heart attack. About 6 months later Nancy lost her ear. She survived. Bunnies were indoor after that.

However you are at risk in area, city or country. I have now put 2 of my bunnies outside over 3 months ago for the first time in years. I am not at all worried. They are in a secure solid summerhouse. Before, and yes I didn't know any better 5 years ago, I had an eglu with a 3 metre run and another base inside the run. They were much more open and vulnerable. A good secure shed would not be a risk.

I was thinking of using some student loan to go towards a hutch and run from Ryedale. Or an aviary with weld mesh to put my current hutch (or playhouse) in.

They both look good and solid but I want something easy to transport encase I need to

I was thinking of using some student loan to go towards a hutch and run from Ryedale. Or an aviary with weld mesh to put my current hutch (or playhouse) in.

They both look good and solid but I want something easy to transport encase I need to

I think that may take up the majority of a terms loan, you don't get that much and it oes quickly (unfortunately).

Unless you hav esaving of course which you could live off if u spend your loan on a new set-up.

I want something easy to transport encase I need to

Ryedale it ain't, then! They are very very solid and I would trust them against a fox, but they are so foxproof because they are so firmly built - they come pre-built and they weigh an absolute ton. I would describe them positively as many things, but 'easy to transport' isn't one of them! You would need a van to transport it and would need a clear access to the rear garden to move it through and around, as they don't flatpack at all, their extra structural strength is due to this. It would be more secure than an aviary though, but there's no reason you couldn't get a decent aviary with a few extra reinforcing 'bars' to completely surround your hutch and have them nice and secure in there.

I think that may take up the majority of a terms loan, you don't get that much and it oes quickly (unfortunately).

Unless you hav esaving of course which you could live off if u spend your loan on a new set-up.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting you only get it every few months

Does Ryedale make runs on their own? The hutch should hold up fine but I want a run for them that is waaay more secure then the one I have now

Hello, I haven't read all 4 pages of replies so sorry if someone has already said this.

I live in London, I rented here for 6 years or so before I bought my house, and had house bunnies for the whole time. I used both private landlords and letting agents.

Things that helped me were references from previous landlords to say the bunnies had not damaged the property, photos of how they were kept (including litter trays!) and agreeing to pay extra damage deposit.

It will be fine, it might just take you a little bit longer to find somewhere. Fingers crossed. xx

Back