• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits Moving Home

Motty

Alpha Buck
At the end of this week, the buns and I are moving to another part of the country and entering an exciting new phase of our lives.
I will need to transport them on a journey that usually takes 3.5 hours. When we arrive at our new home, their pen will be all set up so they can go straight in and start to settle in and learn their new surroundings and I'm intending to do this journey during the middle of the day, their usual snooze time.
I assume some of you have done similar journeys before, is there any other things I need to be aware of, for example food or water during the journey?
As always thank you for your help and advice
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I made very long trips with Cookie, about 8-10 hours. I don't put water in the carrying bag because it spills or the bottle drips as the car moves. At the bottom of the bag I place the non-slip base, on top of it I put a dog pad, I put hay on top of it. I give him water with a pet travel water bottle every hour during the journey. If he doesn't want to drink water, I give him wet lettuce every hour. I wet the lettuce with that water he didn't drink, so he doesn't get dehydrated. He also eats hay when he gets bored on the way. I also cover the carrier bag with a blanket in winter, it can get cold in the car and stress. I just don't close the door with a blanket, to let air in. If you have more questions or need help you can PM me. I'm moving Europe soon and I'll be traveling for a week with Cookie, I'm an expert now :lol: :lol:
Congratulations on your new home. :)

I tend to put one bunny in a carrier, even if bonded - I think it's safer on a longer journey. Newspaper on the bottom, lots of hay for warmth and cushioning on the journey in case they get thrown around a bit (emergency stops, etc). Enough fresh veg / forage to see them through (lettuce, dandelion, cabbage, etc). Small plastic bowl for water at rest stops - ones that clip on to the door mesh are easy to get to and can be placed a bit higher up out of the hay- nothing heavy that can cause damage to bunny if it goes flying. The fresh veg should have enough moisture. Water in either a bowl or bottle will make a mess in transit, so just offer when / if you stop. It's not like it will be too warm at this time of year. Wet and therefore cold bedding is not good for travelling.

If you think they will need extra warmth, use a snugglesafe heat pad.

Put the carriers somewhere that is accessible but where they won't move around. Bunnies will be fine. Leave them in the carriers until they have somewhere safe and secure to be let out, then leave them to settle - probably leave the carriers in with them but without the doors on, so there's somewhere safe & familiar.

That's not too long tbh, I'd just put them in with lots of hay and offer some water if you stop, and I'd chuck some veggies /herbs they like in there if you stop and let them nom for 10 mins. But they should be fine :) good luck with your new adventure :D

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the advice and photographs. We should be traveling up on Sunday, I will let you know how the move goes

Good luck with the move! How exciting! I’ve done similar a few times, I posted on the car travel thread the other day, not sure if any of that is of help to you :wave:

Car journeys I try to just keep the carrier as shaded as I can, something familiar inside like a blanket that smells of home, I try to play something on low that the bunny is used to having on in the background at home (whatever radio station), hay or hay cookies and water. Also a snuggle safe if it’s cold, which I assume it is there now.

That’s great your able to have their pen all set up for when you arrive :love:

Best of luck :) I've done whole journeys of that sort of length in one go, but if I stop for a wee or something, I'll offer water. Otherwise see other posts. Be aware that you don't want them getting too hot, althought yours being indoors it won't be as bad :) TBH I've only really done summer journeys of that length and my excellent aircon (no idea why it's so good!) was a godsend for all involved.

I can’t add anything to the advice already given. Good luck with the move and your new job :wave:

Welcome to life up North - I hope you enjoy our hospitality, proper way of speaking & wearing winter clothes 11 months of the year. I hope the move goes (or went) well for everybun

Thank you all for your support and comments.
The dog cage section of their current home moves to their new home today, the buns will follow on Sunday
Richard

Just a bit of an update, we moved the buns to their new home Sunday afternoon.
They have taken a while to settle down, presumably the long journey, new surroundings and smells, plus the joy of meeting cats had unsettled them. But today they are looking more confident and acting more like their usual selves . They have been hopping around their enclosure and coming up for pellets, so it is looking good at the moment.
Thank you for your help and advice
Richard

aren't you lucky having mild weather to break you in to Northern living. I'm glad the bunnies are finding their feet. Hope you're good too

aren't you lucky having mild weather to break you in to Northern living. I'm glad the bunnies are finding their feet. Hope you're good too
Is this mild? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Apparently I don't sound like a local!
Here's a photo of the guys in their new home
7d681268833887d08993c50b2b46dddf.jpg

Good to see your update :) Are your bunnies still living indoors?
Yes they are still indoors.
If things had happened as we had originally expected, I would have moved next spring and they would have been moved outside. But sometimes you need to grab the opportunities as they are offered and that means not everything worked out to the ideal timeline

Richard

'ey oop Motty lad, glad it all went well & the buns are settling in reet good. nowt better like.

Awww Rudy & ? :oops: they look very relaxed. Yes its pretty warm atm, I think you're probably in the same neck of the woods as my parents (based on your vet choice) & its always nicer there than here

Back