• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and dogs?

Theosmom

New Kit
Hi

I own 2 golden retrievers and I'm considering getting a rabbit ( mini lop) I used to have a rabbit years ago before I got my golden boys but when he passed I was heartbroken and not ready to own another one but I am now and I'm even currently having a conservatory build purposely for my new bunny so he will have his own room away from the dogs.

However I know that rabbits can obviously die from shock and fear and I've never had rabbits and dogs together before my Golden boys are really good at ignoring small furries but their still dogs at then end of the day so I won't be letting them anywhere near my rabbit but as rabbits can die from shock some friends with rabbits have suggested I don't get one as even though he will be safe on the otherside of the conservatory door he will still see the dogs through the glass door and could get scared and hide and it won't be fair.

I just wanted to hear from more rabbit lovers on if you thing my setup could work having a room/conservatory for my rabbit to have all to himself (I may get a second rabbit too and it's going to be a large conservatory and he'll be free roam in their plus I will let him enjoy my large garden when the dogs are not out their) I'm just sacred if he does get scared of seeing them on the other side of the glass?

Anyone got both? Any advice so he won't get scared of the dogs?

I used to have bunnies and a dog.

The dog was never with them but they could see her through their home or through the glass doors for example.

None of my bunnies were ever scared of her

Hello and welcome :)

That's good you will be getting two, they do need a companion.

If you adopt from a rescue you will get two that are already bonded, neutered and vaccinated and you can chose a pair that are more confident and likely to get used to seeing the dogs.

I've had two different dogs in the time I've had rabbits since moving out as an adult. I always had rabbits first, my first dog was a terrier with very high prey drive so he was never allowed upstairs where the rabbits lived in a free range room. When the rabbits were brought down in a carrier to spend time outside in their run again my dog would be inside so he never saw them. After that dog I adopted a toy breed x and found he showed no interest in small furries, so he could come out in the garden while the rabbits were in their secure run and he wouldn't bother him. Again the rabbits showed no interest. Now the set up I have is rabbits in a secure large pen in the dining room and dog comes and goes and neither pays attention. For extra security if we go out the dining room door is closed and dog shut in the front room, he also sleeps upstairs so no chance of anything happening when we are not present/asleep.

Best of luck :)

A bunny can live on its own so long as your willing to spend a lot of time with it ,however its better to have two, a bonded male and female that has been fixed. Getting bunnies from a rescue isn't easy and if you already have two dogs they might refuse you. Its always worth trying tho and worth it because they will be vaccinated and neutered.

When I first decided I wanted bunnies again I tried rescues but I had no end of not succeeding so I independently rescued some for myself. Always try the rescue shelters first.

Over the years I took in three dogs from friends and colleagues for days or weeks, never was a problem with my two free roam 10lbs house bunnies. But it really depends on the dog, I'm not sure I could trust one with a strong hunting drive.
After a day or so the rabbits got used to the new room mate and they ignored each other. Which was fine, only the very sensitive Collie was disappointed that the rabbits kept hopping away when she wanted to be friendly.
A neighbours rabbits do cuddle with her big Chech Sheperd, and use him for shade - so cute.

It would take more time and work to introduce my parents dogs, two Shelties with quite some energy and very little training. I wouldn't know how to stop them barking at every car and passerby, that alone is pretty stressful for me.

I think males are better house bunnies when kept single, after one year I got my boy a cuddlebun though because he did look lonely. Also he always was more comfortable with the dogs than the girls.

It's always recommended to have two rabbits, a human simply can't replace a bunny friend. Re the dogs, it's hard to tell in advance as it depends in your dogs' temperaments. When I was young we had an Airedale who "hated" all other dogs (in hindsight, it was probably poor training) but he was soft as anything with my rabbits. But now I would probably be much more wary. Ultimately you know your own dogs, and if you're concerned they may scare any rabbits too much then it may be best not to get any, but only you can make that decision.

As a generic answer, I would always make sure that the dogs were unable to access the rabbits' space. Rabbits are fragile - a dog paw in the wrong place can be fatal, and they are easily spooked. As a prey species (rabbit) living with a predator species (dog), rabbits are likely to be stressed unless the set up is managed carefully. Stressed rabbits can suffer from all sorts of issues.

I have lurchers and rabbits, but they never meet. Rabbits that I take on are usually used to living with dogs. That can be a double-edged sword as they can sometimes be too accepting of a dog when they ought to be very wary. I would never trust my dogs (or any others of any breed that have ever visited) with a rabbit that they could get to. The rabbits have their own totally separate part of the garden which the dogs never have access to.

I wouldn't mind a dog myself. I actually made a similar thread to this. I'd love a Lurcher mix or Lab. Once my male bunny finally gets neutered I could then put him with the rest of the bunnies in the small yard so if I got a dog, it wont have access to the bunnies. I'm still on the fence about it because the idea is nice but the reality can be something very different. I would need to be 100% with everything in place at home and ready. Once a dog enters your life, he or she becomes your number one priority over anything else.

Back