• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with swallow issues/Update seems fine now

When he sneezes he sounds congested in his upper airways. Have you tried nebulising him and giving a mucolytic to thin out mucus secretions ?

That was my thought. He mostly does it after eating or drinking but sometimes in between. I was also thinking of type of hay/grass alergy. There is no dusty hay. I make sure of it. But honestly I never heard of nebulising....I mean i rinse my nose with warm saline. But I'm looking at thet now...I don't have a nebuliser. Will try to find someone around if anyone has it. I will ask a vet about mucolytic.

That was my thought. He mostly does it after eating or drinking but sometimes in between. I was also thinking of type of hay/grass alergy. There is no dusty hay. I make sure of it. But honestly I never heard of nebulising....I mean i rinse my nose with warm saline. But I'm looking at thet now...I don't have a nebuliser. Will try to find someone around if anyone has it. I will ask a vet about mucolytic.

You should be able to buy a basic nebuliser online. You can either use it via a mask or create a nebulising chamber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpVeWhJ8RA

The mucolytic I have used on Rabbits with upper respiratory tract congestion is this one

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-pr...von-c-21_712/bisolvon-powder-5g-sachet-p-1120,

I expect your Vet can advise you on something similar if this one is not available in your Country.

So Brko is at the vets again and he will stay there for couple of hours. THey will do the ultrasound and check his throat. It does seem like upper respiratory problem, possibly throat.

They will look, they will listen, they will consult and re-think of what is the best possible solution (besides the diagnose). We have agreed that if it is something that it is unlikely to recover, that we will not be able to improve his quality of life soon. We will put him to sleep.

He did gain though. From 1.07g to 1.15g. Around 1.3 is healthy weight for him.

I hope you don't have to make this decision. I hope Brko will get well soon. I hope Brko will be healthy..

So brown sugar is at home now. He eats (just not hay), he drinks. He nibbles hay ball. He is active, but less then ussual. But still hops here and there.

Vets are still unclear as to what exactly is the problem. He has slightly enlarged heart and with rex breed it is common that secondary problem is throat. So for now he is on 2 pain meds Novasul 7 days every 12 hours and then for 7 days every 24 hours and Loxicom every 12 hours. He gets Bisolvin shots for three days, and 3 antibiotic shots (Oxytetracycline) every 72 hours.
Nebulisator with saline can be at help also Rodicare Pulmo.

We are instructed to call if anything changes, if nothing changes we still call the next week.

He has no discharge from eye or nose. He just breaths cracky.

Last edited:
It's really hard to deal with this situation. I can't even imagine your emotional fatigue. I hope everything will be fine..

Rabbit with swallow issues-update feels a bit better

Hello everybunny!

SO for now it looks like new meds and larger dose of Loxicom is working in the right direction. He is more energetic, he hoped on sofa yesterday and not just once. He even nibbled some hay. His poops are better, bigger.

He still breathis a bit cracky, but not as loud as on thursday. Sneezes, but not as much as on thursday.

Hello everybunny!

SO for now it looks like new meds and larger dose of Loxicom is working in the right direction. He is more energetic, he hoped on sofa yesterday and not just once. He even nibbled some hay. His poops are better, bigger.

He still breathis a bit cracky, but not as loud as on thursday. Sneezes, but not as much as on thursday.

I hope him gets better. I hope these days pass, and you will be very happy together.

So...The medicine has stopped. Last OTC was on saturday evening. And he has not got worse. He eats hay (only Bunny nature for this spoiled rabbit). He has his dental in about 2-3 weeks and new bloodwork to check on his liver levels....And then we will see how he will cope this time. So far, so good.

Back