• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with swallow issues/Update seems fine now

Well I give my boyfriend morning shift as I was awake three nights and days. Now he is sunbathing. He ate herbs, some hay. Overall he is feeling better. He is only grumpy when is meds time. He hates being picked up and two meds are yucky in his opinion.

Last edited:
Well I give my boyfriend morning shift as I was awake tree nights and day. Now he is sunbathing. He ate herbs, some hay. Overall he is feeling better. He is only grumpy when is meds time. He hates being picked up and two meds are yucky in his opinion.

It sounds as though he is on the mend. Hope the improvement continues :)

Such a great update. I'm so glad Brko is doing great now he has had his pesky spur burred down :love:

So we are not out of the woods yet. Hay is still not to be touched. He eats veggies, pellets. At least he does not appear gassy anymore (I check his belly twice per day). I did started Rodicare appetite booster (max 5 days of that). It is not a win-win situation as I give more pellets then ussual. So that poor bun does not loose weight and does not get worse with liver enzymes. He drinks way less then ussual. But he drinks enough not to be dehydrated.

So we are not out of the woods yet. Hay is still not to be touched. He eats veggies, pellets. At least he does not appear gassy anymore (I check his belly twice per day). I did started Rodicare appetite booster (max 5 days of that). It is not a win-win situation as I give more pellets then ussual. So that poor bun does not loose weight and does not get worse with liver enzymes. He drinks way less then ussual. But he drinks enough not to be dehydrated.

Your bunny is getting better, and it will be even better. My prayers are with you :angel:

I'm sorry Brko still isn't eating normally. :( I'm glad he's not gassy anymore, at least. Since in your last update you said he had eaten some hay, do you think he's getting worse, since he now isn't eating any? Or was it just that one time that he ate hay? Sending him lots of vibes. I do hope he'll feel completely better soon.

He basicly only ate a few straws of hay only. He does eat few (and I mean a feaw straws of hay per day). He is at a stand still since wednesday. Not getting worse, not getting better either.

He drinks less then usual, but he drinks just enough to stay hydrated. He would eat all the pellets (and more if I would give), he eats veggies. He is less active then ussual, but more active then monday.

He does poop and pee. Only way less then normal. He sometimes has very stinky soft poo.

All of the above could be because of liver enzymes or higher liver enzymes might be because of not eating enough....So my plan is to ring a vet in monday just to update her and ask wha to do.

I know that sometimes it might take up to 14 days to get back on track. So I'm practicing patience.
He can get appetite stimulant for 5 days (and monday will be 5 days of it). Vet did say to give Metacloporamide for 3 days but It is safe to prolong Since he is not back to his normal eating pattern.

It might alsoo be that his tongue or cheek is sore/injured from spur or that they hit the pulp while burring down the teeth.

So that is our short term plan.

Oh I don't see any swallow issues annymore.

I just had a brainstorming. And google it. Marbocyl is known to cause decrease in appetite and also nausea. He has 10 days of it. I have to remind him to eat few times per day. He is supposed to be on Marbocyl till 12.5.

Hm, I think the Metocloporamide might help with the nausea, at least? I know a vet gave that to one of my past bunnies once to help with that. If that's why he's not hungry, though, that's a tricky situation when he still needs the Marbocyl for 5 days. I wonder if that might explain the very stinky soft poo, too, since antibiotics can mess with the guts like that. Since he hasn't shown any improvement since Wednesday, though, it sounds like a good idea to call the vets on Monday to update them and ask for advice. I hope they'll know something that can help him feel better. Sending Brko lots more vibes.

Sometimes he licks him self all the way on his right side, soetimes he breaths loudly, he already snores, he occasionally caughs/sneezes after drinking/eating. It might be his heart and if that is the case, there is not much we can do. THere are some meds to ease up everything.

I'm sending the same video to the vet (as he did no such thing while at the clinic). I just doubt that Marbocil would do all of that.

Speakers on loud might help. Breathing noise (not all the time, but often)

Sending lots more vibes for Brko. I hope that the vet can establish what the problem is from your videos.

When he sneezes he sounds congested in his upper airways. Have you tried nebulising him and giving a mucolytic to thin out mucus secretions ?

Back