• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Waste is not garden Waste apparanetly

and people wonder why we've had a population explosion of rats and mice in the past few years :roll:

this is another reason the council's renovations program really angered me - not just the waste of money but the amount of landfill it created! we had a pick-up truck a day just taking rubbish from our house alone!

and somebody really needs to let the council in on a secret - soil contains bacteria - that's how it works :?

It's like reclycling energy saving light bulbs. We can't put them in in any of our bins because of the chemicals inside them, yet my local council don't provide a service to dispose of them :censored:

Ikea take them, not much use but useful to know. they also do batteries and something else too, but I cant remember :(

Have they notivced that hay is dried grass? What plebions. They take our rabbit and guinea pig waste in our green bin and even the newspaper and megazorb which i chuck in there!

I don't have enough room for a compost heap so I posted on Freecycle offering 6 sacks of bunny waste and someone gladly took it for their allotment! :)

Our binmen actually tear open my bin bags to check for hay, and throw them back onto my garden! :evil:

Now I fold the seats down in the car and take ALL my rubbish down to the tip once a week so they have nothing to complain about. The chaps at the tip are very sweet, and give me a hand - they can't understand what all the fuss is about either! I only live 2 minutes drive from the tip though, so it's not so bad.

Our binmen actually tear open my bin bags to check for hay, and throw them back onto my garden! :evil:

Now I fold the seats down in the car and take ALL my rubbish down to the tip once a week so they have nothing to complain about. The chaps at the tip are very sweet, and give me a hand - they can't understand what all the fuss is about either! I only live 2 minutes drive from the tip though, so it's not so bad.

good job you've got a car though isn't it? When they started on with this stupid policy I rang refuse collection at the council and asked them what I was supposed to do and they said take it to the tip - yeah like we all have a car - how can they assume such things? :shock:

Hmm we have a brown bin (for leaves, grass, garden stuff) which is always empty. Round here, the bunny waste has to go in our green bins (general household waste) which only gets collected fortnightly :roll: :? So we have to make several trips to the tip in the meantime, and when we go there, they always tell us to put it in the 'general waste'

Its stupid :( xXx

Milton Keynes council has the following policy for it's green (garden waste) bins:-

What goes in the garden waste bin?

Yes please:
Grass cuttings
Garden clippings / prunings
Dead flowers and plants
Leaves
Weeds
Bark
Sawdust
Straw
Branches under 15cm in diameter

No thanks:
Litter or household waste
Food / kitchen waste (including vegetable peelings or meat)
Large quantities of soil
Bricks / rubble
Treated wood
Plant pots
Plastic bags

I make sure I put straw ontop of the poop/megazorb and, so far, it's never been refused!

I always shove the hay into the brown (garden waste) bin. It's only dried grass after all. The litter and poo goes in the black one.

I used to put all my rabbits waste in the garden waste bin until they did the same to me and refused to take it. My OH spoke to the department dealing with it at the council and was told that it cant be composted as it alters the Ph balance. A load of tripe me thinks - just an excuse as they dont really know why!

Anyway, after posting 'bags of rabbit manure' on my local Freecycle group, a lovely man who has an allotment comes every two weeks and collects it for his compost heap at the allotments. I just bag it up in black bags and put it on my drive when I know he's due. Great!

Give it a go - its worth a try.

We have three bins, Household waste (collected fortnightly)

Brown bin...compostable waste (including hay/straw/food/cardboard with food on etc etc)

and blue bin for dry recycables both these are also collected fortnightly.

good job you've got a car though isn't it? When they started on with this stupid policy I rang refuse collection at the council and asked them what I was supposed to do and they said take it to the tip - yeah like we all have a car - how can they assume such things? :shock:

Yes, I dont think I'd be able to manage without the car.

It's crazy, when I was growing up on the Isle of Wight, we'd have a great big bonfire every weekend to get rid of most of our rubbish - everyone in the street would have a fire, so no one complained. The ash was great to dig into the veg garden too. ;)

I think its disgusting that some councils are even throwing bags BACK in to peoples gardens - Theyd sharp have something to say if people asked for a reduction in council tax because they disposed of thier OWN waste!
We put the bunny waste in the brown garden bins :) weve never had a refusal yet!
We got an extra brown bin off a niegbhour who has a completley paved garden so now i use that to store my bunnys stuff in :lol:

I have 25 buns, so here goes:

I hide some of it in the green garden waste bin (sandwiched between lots of grass clippings:lol:

I have 2 compost bins that I got from recycle that are nearly always full..
Council told me to bag up the poop and put it in the household waste... so I do that with lots of Jeyes anti-pong powder to cover up any smell (the binmen haven't touched the bags so far... perhaps 'cos of the smell:lol::lol:)

During winter months (or when there's loads of rain), I spread it in the front garden over the flower beds, and it rots down.

All in all, I manage, but have to use mega-crafty ways!

I also stopped using sawdust because it takes ages to rot down, so now I use shredded paper free from a company that are thrilled to get rid of it in my direction. That also takes a while to rot down 'cos it's treate, but it disappears faster than sawdust.

Gardening programme said that the councils have a system of creating compost at high temperatures which kills everything you don't want in the compost and it's supposed to be fab.... Think our council is more than a bit backward even though they have a super-dooper incinerater and recycling set-up:evil:

Deb

my council will refuse my green bin if any straw or hay or anythign is in there. which i agree is a shame. so my black bin is always full and i only have 3 rabbits here but i also have 4 hamsters and cleaning out all of them does fil up bins. if they dont collect the bins ihave to drive to tip otherwise it al lstinks! i would like a compost bin but when we tried it before it really didnt seem to work :( x

Mine has been going in my hubbys skips at work which is costing quite a bit!

I have heard about people advertising it on freecycle so yesterday i put an ad in there. i have already had 2 people contact me, they are going to collect it at the weekend! (I currently have about 15 black bins bags full!!)
How cool is that! :D

Back