• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Waste is not garden Waste apparanetly

When I first got Alfie, I emailed to ask whether it would be ok to put the rabbit droppings/megazorb/hay in our green bag (garden waste) and was told it was fine. They took it for a few mths and then all of a sudden they left me a note one fortnight saying they wouldn't empty the bag because it had animal waste in it. :roll::roll: I can half understand that different boroughs might have different policies but ours can't even make up its mind about its own policy. :lol::roll:

So now it has to go in the normal bin but I always run out of room. I even take a couple of bags a week to put into my mum's bin because she hardly had any rubbish.

I separate the poos and Megazorb from the hay as best I can and the poo goes to a guy for an allotment (doesn't want hay - as it causes havoc because of the weeds). The hay, poos I miss, and MZ go in to reusable sacks and my OH does a tip run every week where it goes in the green waste. To date noone has said anything. We probably get through about 10 very large sacks every week too!

The newspaper goes in the recycling too unless it's very wet.

Whilst we try to be good, it's very tiring and the place looks a mess constantly because of the bin bags and white sacks. Our council doesn't provide dustbins, wheelie bins or anything! They don't do much in the way of doorstep recycling either, newspapers is about it.

I wonder what we pay our council tax for too sometimes.

If we were stopped from going to the tip, I have no idea what we would do as the numbers of buns here produces way too much for my three compost bins (full all the time).

I'm naughty and put mine in black binbags inside the household waste bin. We were only provided with a black bin and a blue paper/carboard bin when we moved in. :?

absolutely fuming.
put my green bin out today with leaves, grass, hay. woodshavings rabbit poop and wee.
There was a piece of palstic on top - that was scooped up with leaves - the bin man took that out - threw it on floor and then left the erst saying it was contaminated. Been on phone to council who say that the green bin is only for grass and leaves!!! WTF???? :censored::censored:
I have to now empty the bin (god knows how cos its bigger than me) into littel carrier bags (as I have no bin bags) and put out for a special collection!!!!!
Absolutely fuming - this is what I pay council tax for??
What do you do with yours?

I adopted 7 rabbits and 21 guinea pigs, then 2 months later the council introduced the green bin scheme, refused to allow their waste to go in the green bin, and I've struggled ever since :roll: My neighbour bless him is an old chap with barely any rubbish - he lets me put 3 or 4 bags in his bin every fortnight - my ex takes 2 every week - I can fit about 3 in my bin every fortnight, and the rest are piled up attractively at the end of the garden for the rats to play in, next to the world's biggest compost heap which unfortunately takes about a year to rot down :(

At one time I hired a skip every 6 weeks for the waste but it cost me a fortune - Occasionally ex will take a load to the tip in his car but they can't be in green bags or the men at the tip refuse them - and they also refused them one time because ex was carrying so many bags they got suspicious, had a look inside and said it was classed as hazardous waste not household waste - so they won't let it go in the green bin, or the black bin, or to the tip IDIOTS!!!! :evil:

I have to say drowning in rubbish has really got me down for the last 3yrs - it's just like a scruffy farmyard in my back garden :(

:wave:This happened to me too, it's madness, they wrote to me to tell me they could not empty the garden waste bin as it was "contaminated" I emailed back and said why? my bunnies only eat pellets and hay and veg, he wrote back saying it was because it was actual animal poo/wee that was the contaminating factor....so I wrote back saying what about the grass that goes in the SAME bin with worm poo, bird poo, hedgehog poo, fox poo, cat poo etc etc? surely leftovers of that would be on your grass as would if you use animal by products compost?

I never did get a reply :roll:

So now I ensure a layer of leaves is on the bottom and top of the bin :lol:

Our LA is now charging extra for the green bin:evil:

I used to fill my green bin with rabbit waste and put several inches of ordinary garden waste on top - they never did anything other than lift the lid for a quick glance at what was in it - so I say hide it in your green bin!

When i lived in heysham we had to seperate the hay straw and etc from the poos and the hay could go in the green bin but the poos had to go in the black bin.

Here there's no recycling or bins so, we just put the black bags outside the door for collection.

I just had a look at my council website regarding composting bunny waste. Apparently if I bag it up and give the council a ring they will come and collect it :)Apparently it all goes in a big composter and the end product is used in the local parks etc.
Think I will be doing that in future as my compost bin is always full and it takes ages to rot down this time of year.

I had a barney with my council as I use thicker green bags for the bunny waste as it doesn't always fit in the rubbish bin and I don't really want bunny poop all over the drive if a cat/fox decideds to have a go.....It goes in the normal rubbish collection as it specifically says on out green bin no animal waste. Christmas eve the dustmen decided to split my bags & left them on the drive obviously deciding it was "green" waste.....

e-mailed the council and had a go. They very quickly appologised & agreed that if the amount was not excessive (about 3 bags a week & 2 normal bags from us) then they'd take it & have a word with the dustmen. Have not had a problem since. We will have a problem though next year when they introduce wheelie bins that have to have their lid shut....I hope they are big wheelie bins.

councils can't take rabbit waste really for recycling because the often the waste is not composted at a high enough temp to kill off virus etc & the waste may contain chemicals such as anitbiotics or wormer which again can't be used. My theory is if it goes to landfill it helping to create compost in the long run.

I had a barney with my council as I use thicker green bags for the bunny waste as it doesn't always fit in the rubbish bin and I don't really want bunny poop all over the drive if a cat/fox decideds to have a go.....It goes in the normal rubbish collection as it specifically says on out green bin no animal waste. Christmas eve the dustmen decided to split my bags & left them on the drive obviously deciding it was "green" waste.....

e-mailed the council and had a go. They very quickly appologised & agreed that if the amount was not excessive (about 3 bags a week & 2 normal bags from us) then they'd take it & have a word with the dustmen. Have not had a problem since. We will have a problem though next year when they introduce wheelie bins that have to have their lid shut....I hope they are big wheelie bins.

councils can't take rabbit waste really for recycling because the often the waste is not composted at a high enough temp to kill off virus etc & the waste may contain chemicals such as anitbiotics or wormer which again can't be used. My theory is if it goes to landfill it helping to create compost in the long run.

Just found out that my council will take rabbit waste for composting :D

Would it be better to put the bunny waste in biodegradeable(sp) bin bags if it's going to land fill?

it really annoys me how recycling is in your face almost evrywhere you go but there arnt the facilitys in my area to do it! we dont have any of the blue, green or brown bins for diff types of waste, we only have 1 black bin for household waste and a tiny black box which had a lable on it saying it was gor card and paper and tins, but they wont take anything card in it whenever we put it out! we cant recycle any plastic at all so it has to go in the big general household waste bin! its stupid, we really want to recycle but cant! although we do have a car we cant realy take stuf to the tip as it doesnt have a big boot or proper back seats, so we can only fit a few small bags in.....its crazy

Just found out that my council will take rabbit waste for composting :D

Would it be better to put the bunny waste in biodegradeable(sp) bin bags if it's going to land fill?

yes I think that's what makes me so annoyed - this topic's come up on the forum several times in the past few years, and I know some councils will accept it fine, so it's just idiotic for other councils to class it as hazardous :?

I think that comes back to the point about what they do with it - which in turn comes back to the point that there's no national system! If it's just shredded and sold as soil improver then it might not be appropriate to have rabbit waste in it, whereas if it's composted for months on end, it might be ok.

My understanding is that the restrictions were brought in after the foot & mouth outbreak, as people got paranoid about the spread of animal waste and the potential for it to cause unintended consequences elsewhere.

There is 3 of us in our little row who have rabbits and we got threaten with leagl action over our animal waste :(.We had a council official come wrong and gave us all a talk about how it contaminates the other green waste as it as been soiled ?? (well i wouldnt put clean bedding out silly woman :lol:).So we now take it to the tip who moan we are there every weekend :censored: cant win i guess.

There is 3 of us in our little row who have rabbits and we got threaten with leagl action over our animal waste :(.We had a council official come wrong and gave us all a talk about how it contaminates the other green waste as it as been soiled ?? (well i wouldnt put clean bedding out silly woman :lol:).So we now take it to the tip who moan we are there every weekend :censored: cant win i guess.

they're idiots because all compost heaps need an activator, and this is recommended to be urine - in addition bunny poops are perfect for composting - has nobody at the council ever put horse manure on their rosebeds? :roll:

sigh..we have green wheelie bins for household waste..NO GARDEN WASTE. The bins are emptied once a fortnight and all the lids must be completely down. Bad luck if osmeone lese has come along and shoved a bag in your bin..can you prove it:shock::censored:
we have black bins for recyling but half the stuff that is actually recylable isnt at our council's facilities:shock:
If i pay for a yearly licence i can get a green garden bag..which tends to blow away in the wind when empty!!:roll::evil: BUT you cannot put bunny waste in it as they do not compost it down long enough and besides...its full of bacteria....:shock::censored::censored:
We now have a little black box for glass which is emptied once a month.
However we all have batteies and those awful mercury laden energy saving light bulbs which cannot and must not be put into the bin....you must look up the nearest facility to you which deals with it..what?!! there is nowhere within bus routes to us the silly:censored:
why not place a special bin alongside the bottle banks for batteries and light bulbs?
my elderly mum used to put my buns waste in her compost bin to accelerate it but her bin isnt in drect sun as her back garden is very shady and the council wont let her put it in her front garden like ehr next door neighbour as my mum is an housing association tenant and it would be not be pleasant for other residnts to have to see:shock:
so we use whatever space is in her bin for it each fortnight.
Just recently i have begun bagging up non-recyclable packaging with no organic materials in it and leaving it out the front until one week one of us has a gap for it. makes the place a mess as does the sacks of bunny waste also waiting for a gap.....but what can you do?

Back