• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit sneezing episodes

Compass

Warren Scout
My 8 year old rabbit has for the past two months been sneezing. It started off after pairing her with a new partner and the sneezing has become more frequent and intense. We have booked her into the vets tomorrow for a check up. She’s eating well, pooping and otherwise very normal. I videoed her earlier to show the vet. It’s very loud and lasts for about a minute each time.
Has anyone experienced this before?

My 8 year old rabbit has for the past two months been sneezing. It started off after pairing her with a new partner and the sneezing has become more frequent and intense. We have booked her into the vets tomorrow for a check up. She’s eating well, pooping and otherwise very normal. I videoed her earlier to show the vet. It’s very loud and lasts for about a minute each time.
Has anyone experienced this before?
dear compass,-the dvm will hopefully do a nasal culture,without which they will only prescribe meds,and we know where that leads.-more problems.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa

I cant see the video but the sneezing may be due to a Respiratory tract infection amongst other things. If you check the fur on the insides of her front paws is it matted/sticky. If so this would indicate that she has a snotty nose that you may not notice as she wipes the snot away.

Dental problems which involve elongated tooth roots can also case sneezing episodes. The tooth roos can penetrate the nasal passages. This is more common in brachycephalic (flat faced) Rabbits such as Mini Lops and Nethies.

Allergens are another possibility

Good luck at the Vets :)

Update possible allergies ?

Took Biscuit to the vets and the vet us puzzled, no temp, teeth appear very good, no lumps or pumps and appears really well. Vet has said her chest sounds really good and he feels the problem is higher up. He has suggested it could be a polyp in which surgery is not an option and too risky given she is an older bun. He has suggested high dose of metacam for one week in case of any inflammation as cause. The only other possibility he feels could be worth looking at is possibility of allergies.
Does anyone have any experience with rabbits having allergies?

Took Biscuit to the vets and the vet us puzzled, no temp, teeth appear very good, no lumps or pumps and appears really well. Vet has said her chest sounds really good and he feels the problem is higher up. He has suggested it could be a polyp in which surgery is not an option and too risky given she is an older bun. He has suggested high dose of metacam for one week in case of any inflammation as cause. The only other possibility he feels could be worth looking at is possibility of allergies.
I had something similar happen with one of my bunnies last year. She suddenly started sneezing an awful lot. But there was no discharge. Took her to the vet and they tried her on a one week course of baytril and metacam. There was no improvement after a week so she was referred for a CT scan to see if there was a physical cause such as elongated tooth roots or a foreign body stuck in the nasal passage. They also took deep nasal swabs while she was under to see if they could pick up an active infection and do a culture.

The upshot was that the CT scan and nasal swab found nothing. No active infection and no physical cause. What was even more strange was that when she came home from the scan the sneezing stopped as suddenly as it had started.

I don't know whether it might be worth discussing with your vet about doing a scan for Biscuit just so they can find out what they're dealing with. Even though doing a scan didn't give me any answers as to why my bunny was sneezing so much, you might find that you get a clearer idea what's going on there.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I have two rabbits who have hay-fever... [emoji849] If I didn't trust the vet that said it so much, I think I'd have thought it was a huge joke.. [emoji38] They take kids piriton when it flares up.. [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I have two rabbits who have hay-fever... [emoji849] If I didn't trust the vet that said it so much, I think I'd have thought it was a huge joke.. [emoji38] They take kids piriton when it flares up.. [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
dear graciee,--did the dvm do a nasal culture test.??-otherwise you could be very right.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa-stay healthy

Back