• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Sexing Help Please?!

If anything I'd focus on sorting the girls first for to the enormous risk of uterine cancer.

Do all the girls live together now? How old are they all?

I would advise separating the boy now (there's always a chance that tonight is the night that he gets them pregnant - it has to happen sometime) getting the boy neutered ASAP, then after several weeks (just to be on the safe side) you may be able to introduce him back to the girls so that he doesn't have to live on his own. If you get the boy neutered now and you know he's the only boy, then it eliminates the risk of him escaping/someone letting him out with the girls etc, and the sooner he is done, the sooner he can live back with some company. You're probably looking at somewhere between £40-£80 for a male to be neutered.

I would also advise starting to save up to get the girls neutered even if you can't afford to do it in one go. For one thing, it 100% eliminates the risk of this ever happening again with any other bunny, and it also eliminates the risk of them getting cancer which is very common in females.

Good luck x

It's a Girl!

I know this question was asked about two years ago and you probably have already figured it out by now but I wanted to add this to the discussion for future owners of pet rabbits trying to figure out what sex their rabbit was. I recently got my first bunny about a month ago and in the place where I got the rabbit they told me it was a boy but I looked in the internet and it didn't seem quite right so we took the bunny with veterinarian that specializes in bunnies and he told us it was a girl. By the image you posted it looks like your rabbit is a girl. All rabbits kinda look the same dow there. They both have a protuberance. The difference is that one is forward out with a tiny hole and the other has a slit. On the image you posted, you can appreciate a tiny slit that goes through the end. I don't know if you can see it. I recommend that you take a look at this webpage: http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/sexing-rabbits.html
It helped me tons to visually understand the difference specially the part where they examine the males penises.
Hope it helped! :)

I know this question was asked about two years ago and you probably have already figured it out by now but I wanted to add this to the discussion for future owners of pet rabbits trying to figure out what sex their rabbit was. I recently got my first bunny about a month ago and in the place where I got the rabbit they told me it was a boy but I looked in the internet and it didn't seem quite right so we took the bunny with veterinarian that specializes in bunnies and he told us it was a girl. By the image you posted it looks like your rabbit is a girl. All rabbits kinda look the same dow there. They both have a protuberance. The difference is that one is forward out with a tiny hole and the other has a slit. On the image you posted, you can appreciate a tiny slit that goes through the end. I don't know if you can see it. I recommend that you take a look at this webpage: http://www.pet-informed-veterinary-advice-online.com/sexing-rabbits.html
It helped me tons to visually understand the difference specially the part where they examine the males penises.
Hope it helped! :)

the image posted looks like a male, definitely a penis , rounded end tube like ..not a humped slit?

By the image you posted it looks like your rabbit is a girl. All rabbits kinda look the same dow there. They both have a protuberance. The difference is that one is forward out with a tiny hole and the other has a slit. On the image you posted, you can appreciate a tiny slit that goes through the end.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on your sexing, but that photo above is definitely, 100% a boy I'm afraid! The 'tiny slit' you can see is just a little crease in the skin, and it's heading the wrong way (towards the belly) to be female - the slit in a female is far more obvious than the thing you're seeing in the photo above and slits down towards the anus not up towards the belly. I have to say I don't think some of the photos on that weblink are all that helpful (especially not if you thought the above photo was a girl), the male photos are all of a mature male which is far easier to see, and could lead to this sort of error.

I would keep checking your little one as it may be that their gender becomes more obvious for certain as they get a little older :)

The pet shop I got Frosty and Snowflake from thought they were both does (they are bucks). The vet thought they were one of each ... Not an easy thing to sex them.

It was waaay easier with all the rescue rabbits that I have got since. All neutered/spayed and bonded. Yey.

Back