• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Savvy Vet in Hampshire?

I use alver vets....they have surgeries in gosport, Fareham and stubbington. More than happy to refer and not over expensive.

I've also seen JC for Maurice....he was fab.

I use alver vets....they have surgeries in gosport, Fareham and stubbington. More than happy to refer and not over expensive.

I've also seen JC for Maurice....he was fab.

That sounds good, Fareham is not far at all. Are they good with rabbits? Have you had any experience of them treating gut problems and if so were they any good?

That sounds good, Fareham is not far at all. Are they good with rabbits? Have you had any experience of them treating gut problems and if so were they any good?

They've helped me nurse Blue through 2 weeks of stasis, Marnie has had several bouts of stasis, some requiring admittance.
They also put her back together after her disastrous attempt at bonding with Hovis.

The fareham branch is just for consults...any procedures are done in gosport, and all their out of hours is at gosport too...with their own vets.

I live about 3 minutes away from the gosport branch...which is handy. They have a separate cat/small animal waiting area too.

They've helped me nurse Blue through 2 weeks of stasis, Marnie has had several bouts of stasis, some requiring admittance.
They also put her back together after her disastrous attempt at bonding with Hovis.

The fareham branch is just for consults...any procedures are done in gosport, and all their out of hours is at gosport too...with their own vets.

I live about 3 minutes away from the gosport branch...which is handy. They have a separate cat/small animal waiting area too.

Ahh okay. Do you have any idea how I would get to the gosport one via public transport? Would it be train to Portsmouth Harbour then the ferry?

It would really convenient to get to the Fareham branch, as it looks like it's just a short walk from Fareham train station, and Barney doesn't often need procedures done, normally it's just a case of seeing how he is doing every month and adjusting medication/food accordingly.

edit: is there a particular vet that is good with rabbits or do you just see them all?

Last edited:
Ahh okay. Do you have any idea how I would get to the gosport one via public transport? Would it be train to Portsmouth Harbour then the ferry?

It would really convenient to get to the Fareham branch, as it looks like it's just a short walk from Fareham train station, and Barney doesn't often need procedures done, normally it's just a case of seeing how he is doing every month and adjusting medication/food accordingly.

edit: is there a particular vet that is good with rabbits or do you just see them all?

Train to ferry is the best way I think. Depending on the time/Rosie I might then be able to pick you up from the ferry...if not taxi is about £5.

If you see a vet at fareham and they decide he needs admitting then they transport him to gosport for you....they have a van they use for just that.

I just see whoever is available. If it's an on going problem they try and keep you to the same vet. At the moment Maurice sees Honor.

Train to ferry is the best way I think. Depending on the time/Rosie I might then be able to pick you up from the ferry...if not taxi is about £5.

If you see a vet at fareham and they decide he needs admitting then they transport him to gosport for you....they have a van they use for just that.

I just see whoever is available. If it's an on going problem they try and keep you to the same vet. At the moment Maurice sees Honor.

Brilliant, thank you. I'm hoping he wouldn't have to go there often but it's good to know they could take him for me if necessary.

That must cost you a fortune :shock: It costs me about £13 each way if I get a taxi to my current vets, which is about 5 minutes drive! I tend to get the bus instead which is about £3.60 each way. But obviously when I move to Cosham that's not going to be an option :?

yeh, it does. he does it for £40 (there, back and waiting time) but if we are ages in there then we pay £50. i went one way once in a rush with a different taxi driver and it was £42 one way. so we get a good deal for it.

it's alot but worth it for the best vets. :thumb:

eta: we don't get food shopping for a week or two after each vet visit though! :lol:

I use Downland Veterinary Group and will only see Claire, they have branches at Denmead, Leigh Park and the main hospital at Emsworth :wave:

You'll only be half hour away from me too :wave::wave: :D

I use Downland Veterinary Group and will only see Claire, they have branches at Denmead, Leigh Park and the main hospital at Emsworth :wave:

You'll only be half hour away from me too :wave::wave: :D

We'll have to organise a get together of everyone in the area. :thumb:

Is Claire rabbit-savvy and have she sorted any rabbity illnesses for your buns like gut problems?

We'll have to organise a get together of everyone in the area. :thumb:

Is Claire rabbit-savvy and have she sorted any rabbity illnesses for your buns like gut problems?

Yes. She fixed Harley's jaw bone abscess and successfully operated on her, she's always open to new ideas for treatment. She treated our disabled Stripes, Hazel and Lucky through EC, she's currently looking after the failing Bandit with EC, Kidney failure and snuffles :(

She's very honest, when Harley was found to have cancer, she operated on my request and talked me through exacty what she was doing and eventually advised that as we couldn't really do anything for H, if it was her bun she'd let her go.

I trust her implicitly

I wouldn't go anywhere else :)

Hi, some of you guys are probably fairly near me... Anyone know a good rabbit savvy vet to the south of Chichester? The one I usuall go to has some very different vets, on eof which is very good.. but when I've phoned their emergency vets in the night before they've not been interested at all :(

Back