• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit sad after the death of his best friend

c1761

New Kit
My rabbit is nine years old, and four weeks ago his best friend passed away.

We followed the recommended steps and placed his friend beside him, so that he understood he was gone. Since the death, his behaviour has completely changed - he has went from being desperate to get out of his hutch in the morning to not wanting out at all.

If he does hop out of his hutch, he usually just goes back in within a couple of minutes - prior to the death, he would be an absolute nightmare to get into his hutch/run and would want to hop about the garden freely for hours.

He is eating, but just not as quickly as he usually would. He has been taken to the vet a couple of times and they can't find anything physically wrong with him.

What can be done to help him get over the death and back to normal?

My rabbit is nine years old, and four weeks ago his best friend passed away.

We followed the recommended steps and placed his friend beside him, so that he understood he was gone. Since the death, his behaviour has completely changed - he has went from being desperate to get out of his hutch in the morning to not wanting out at all.

If he does hop out of his hutch, he usually just goes back in within a couple of minutes - prior to the death, he would be an absolute nightmare to get into his hutch/run and would want to hop about the garden freely for hours.

He is eating, but just not as quickly as he usually would. He has been taken to the vet a couple of times and they can't find anything physically wrong with him.

What can be done to help him get over the death and back to normal?

I am very sorry for your recent loss :cry: Is there any chance that you could consider adopting another Rabbit to be a companion to your remaining one ? Although I know that at the moment many Rescues are not rehoming Rabbits due to the situation re Covid 19.

Perhaps it would be possible for your Rabbit to live indoors with you as a House Rabbit ? Whilst human company does not equal the company another Rabbit can provide, it is usually a better option than to have a single Rabbit living outdoors.

I am very sorry for your recent loss :cry: Is there any chance that you could consider adopting another Rabbit to be a companion to your remaining one ? Although I know that at the moment many Rescues are not rehoming Rabbits due to the situation re Covid 19.

Perhaps it would be possible for your Rabbit to live indoors with you as a House Rabbit ? Whilst human company does not equal the company another Rabbit can provide, it is usually a better option than to have a single Rabbit living outdoors.

Thanks for the reply.

It's not possible to get a rabbit in our area at the moment, and we're not sure if they'd bond - the two had been together since birth.

He doesn't like it inside and doesn't really react now if we sit outside with him. Before, he loved having our company and would binky when spoken to.

Thanks for the reply.

It's not possible to get a rabbit in our area at the moment, and we're not sure if they'd bond - the two had been together since birth.

He doesn't like it inside and doesn't really react now if we sit outside with him. Before, he loved having our company and would binky when spoken to.

Is his eyesight OK ? If he has age related vision loss he may have relied on his brother to help him get about.

Have you tried providing him with some new Rabbit safe toys, things to investigate, sniff and chew ?

I'm sorry for your loss :(

I know with Luna (blind) when she lost her friend it took her a few weeks to really warm back up to me. she spent all of her time hiding under the table, with little interest in me or anything in life. after that, she became extremely attached to me and followed me pretty much anywhere!

it might just be a case of giving him some time. I can only suggest giving him plenty to do and still making the effort to sit outside with him, even if he seems unbothered. its the choice there and having you there, even if he's struggling to "show" it in a way. I'm sure he still enjoys your company, but he's probably just struggling to be himself.

I sat with Luna and spoke to her so much after the loss of her companion, she mostly just ignored me, but I think being there was still comforting for her.

some sort of cuddly toy might be good for him, around his size. Luna loved having one, she'd cuddle up to it and bring it food. she found it a massive comfort and def helped her feel a bit more secure, even if it was just a toy. she groomed it plenty too :love: it might be an idea.

its hard for our furry friends - we can't talk to them and they can't talk to us. my advice is to just be there for him, talk to him, offer him lots of new interesting toys, even if he doesn't seem to care for them. hopefully in a few weeks he'll bounce back :)

I am sorry you have lost a bunny. He and his friend were together for a long time so your remaining rabbit must be finding it difficult to cope without him. He may in time perk up, just keep being gentle with him and share in his grief.

Thanks for the replies everyone. His eyesight is fine, but he definitely relied on his brother to warn him if there was danger - I think that will have played a part in him no longer wanting out to roam the garden freely, but I know he has always felt safe in his run yet he no longer wants in it.

I am going to dig some random holes around the garden. He used to love investigating the holes his brother had dug and I have noticed he no longer digs, so maybe that will perk his interest. He's never really been a fan of toys and will often just chuck them out his hutch.

I am sorry you and your bunny lost his friend.
You say his friend gave him some security. I wonder if he would venture in the garden more if he had places to hide along the way where he could quickly go if he got scared.
I have a mini rex I renamed Heidi who likes to hide... She is a very good girl who is easily frightened, perhaps from her first year living on a farm where some animals were livestock.
Can you put food in different parts of the run?

I am very sorry to read of the sad loss of your bunny from your bonded pair. It is always a sad time when you lose any bun but from a bonded pair and at such an age, it is perhaps sadder. I have been in a similar position as you having lost the male from my bonded pair and I have seen how the surviving bun can change with the loss. It is important that through this phase, you spend more time with the remaining bunny. Give him more cuddles and treats and make as much fuss over him as you can. He will be feeling the loss in the same way we do as humans, and we need a cuddle so he will be no different.
As mentioned above, a snuggle toy may provide some comfort for your bunny. And again, perhaps homing him inside may help his emotions.
If short term adoption or fostering was an option, then this may also help although that would very much depend on how your bunny would react to another bunny - perhaps an older bunny, but it would proviide companionship and support and something to focus on.
Ensure that he is eating and drinking as stasis can occur in a grieving process and ensure that there is pooping.
I hope this helps in som small way and again, I am very sorry that you have lost your bunny.
Craig x

Back