• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit peeing over the edge of the litter box

Kjell

New Kit
We've bonded three rabbits and have had a problem with getting them litter trained since. It's getting better and there are fewer wees and poos on the floor. However, I'm noticing that one of the bunnies, even with her best attempts, end up peeing on the floor because she places her butt over the edge of the litter box. The size of the litter box isn't the problem. All three can fit in there if they wish. But she literally places her butt over the edge so it all ends up on the floor anyway. We use cat litter boxes and we have three of them. We don't have any shops available here so any solution in terms of getting a different type of box isn't helpful in the short term.

I would just put something under the edge of the tray to catch anything that misses - newspaper, puppy pads, etc. The other options are either a much bigger tray, 2 trays together, or something to make a higher edge / wall so she can't stick her bum over it (but she will probably just find another edge instead). It will probably resolve in time, as long as the floor underneath doesn't smell of urine.

My pairs all have 2 32 litre underbed storage boxes filled with newspaper and hay. They also have hay racks.

Like Shimmers idea of newspaper under the tray.

Back