• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bullying Rabbit?

lexi 1023

New Kit
Hii !! I have 2y 7m old male bunny named Bon and a 1y 2m old female bunny named Cleo. We bonded them last year and they have been a bonded couple since December 2022. Bon gets jealous easily and is very territorial despite both being spayed since a year ago. He keeps close eye on Cleo when she moves around the house and follows her around, he sometimes doesnt let her go certain places or use certain toys despite us wiping down everything with vinegar and water before they were let to free roam after bonding. Because of that, we suspect that Cleo is afraid to use the litter box when Bon is in there or when he's laying around it. We haven't been successful in litter training her and she pees around the house.. we suspect that she is scared of Bon. However, on day to day basis, they are a very loving couple and would sleep together, groom each other, flop around each other and Cleo would sometimes take Bon's pellets after she's done with hers, and he doesn't ever react, she is incredibly playful and would tease him sometimes, like laying over him, jumping over him or even nipping him to chase her which also makes us think she isn't afraid of him. But we are not sure of what to do as we noticed that Cleo has started eating hay less frequently because of that (her gut is fine we took her to get checked:] ). Should I bond them again or should I separate their litter boxes?

Definitely worth trying lots of litter trays - easier than cleaning up random bits of floor. Maybe scatter feed as well, just to get them both spreading out more for the goodies and therefore being less territorial.

Maybe get Cleo's teeth checked out as well. If she's eating less hay, it may have an impact on tooth wear. I would also monitor her weight weekly to make sure she is eating enough.

Since they're still a fairly new couple, I'd say give his jealous behaviour a bit more time as it might sort itself out once they've gotten more used to each other. I agree with j&b and Shimmer that multiple litter trays with lots of hay is a good idea. There are other possible causes for her not using the litter box much, though, as from your description, it doesn't sound like she's that afraid of Bon? It might also be that there's something about the litter box she doesn't like. For example, the litter you use might not feel comfortable on her feet, or you might use a cleaning product that has too strong a scent for her, or it might be in a place where she doesn't feel safe enough to do her business. So, I'd experiment a bit with different litters and different places and see what she's comfortable with.

Hi, I'm having a very very similar situation with my boy Nur and a new adopted female who he's been bonded with at the rescue. Do you have any updates on your two, did they settle down after a while? I'm just worried dthe new girl Rosemary is too sweet for him and when he's being a bit brutish and chasing or humping her all she does is run away and hold a grudge and be scared to come out for a couple hours. I feel so bad for her, but then the next hour they're snuggled up next to eachother and grooming?! But she still, just like Cleo, seems very worried about using the litter box and would rather eat hay that's fallen out of it or puts her front paws on it and eats hay from outside the box. She's also started peeing on the floor just outside the litter box 😟

Back