• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit peeing next to litter box after bonding

Kjell

New Kit
We recently got two new bunnies and one of these consistently pee right in front of or next to litter box. It is a previously litter trained rabbit and she didn't do this until after we bonded our rabbits. She'll pee about the same spot, so she's getting the point, she just doesn't actually go into the box. Since they are 3 rabbits we have 3 litter boxes, and two of these are next to each other where she pees (the third is in a different room where they are not at night). She also poops in the same place. I always clean up, put it in the litter box, and clean the floor with vinegar afterwards. It doesn't help one bit. I tried moving the litter boxes on top of where she pees, she still goes on the floor. I've changed the litter, no change. I have run out of ideas. Can it be due to bonding? Or her living in a new space? She didn't pee on the floor until after bonding aside from the very first night her. She doesn't pee other places, so she's not marking her territory either it seems. The litter boxes always have fresh hay in them but she prefers to sit outside the box to eat. Her sister also doesn't like jumping in the box to eat, but she goes in to pee. I worry this won't change unless I do something fast.

Last edited:
And to add... We use cat litter boxes that are fairly standard. Good size for the rabbits, not high to jump into. Never had a problem before.

After googling I see that other people have had the exact same experience as me after bonding rabbits, but unfortunately I don't find any solution and none of the posts say if it eventually got better. I've since moved the rabbits to a smaller room and put all 3 litter boxes in there. They immediately jumped into them, so placement might have been an issue for some reason. They originally were where our first rabbit chose to go, so we can't permanently move the litter boxes but have to for now keep them out of that room. I've begun rewarding them with with treats every time they sit in the litter box. Hopefully we see some progress. I don't have that many ideas left.

I would try using a much larger box for a litter tray, as they do like to sit in them and eat, pee and poop in the same place. I used low underbed storage boxes when I had rabbits. I would continue doing what you are doing re clean up. Do you have hay in the litter box on top of the litter or in a hay rack? Litter training often slips during and after bonding but should improve in time. Do either of them have any mobility or health issues?

All are healthy and have been checked by the vet fairly recently. No reason to suspect anything has changed since. It has so far actually worked moving them to a different room. Only a couple of minor puddles since then, but they mostly go into the litter boxes. I'm not sure if it's a different room, a smaller room, the trays now being in the middle of the floor as opposed to against a wall, or maybe something else that convinced them. I use hay in the litter boxes. We used to have a hay rack when we had a cage to hang it in, but we don't anymore. I will try to get my hands on one though or make something that can go anywhere, because a lot of hay goes to waste, especially now that they are three and they haven't agreed on which end of the tray to pee on! There are still lots of stray poops, but I feel that is getting much better too. The poops are easier to handle though than all the puddles!

Back