• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Pages on Facebook

I've just joined your group :thumb:

I think the thing is, that realistically, MOST information out there is conflicting.

However, if you look at FACTS only, then it tends to take personal things out of it, but still upset people.

The harness thing was basically "your rabbit may appear comfortable in the harness, but you CANNOT look into a crystal ball and 100% confirm that NOTHING will spook your bun. You also have NO idea how it will react and a very possible outcome is injury". Still, apparently this is wrong! :roll:

I still comment on things though, I think it's really sad when people ignore it, mostly due to pride I guess and the fact that they don't want to feel as if they've been cruel. A bit like the person posting pics of rabbits with collars on... that is just plain wrong, the only thing I could find plausible would be if the rabbit was identical to another and needed medication or was being bonded with an identical rabbit. There are probably better ways to distinguish but maybe nothing very easily in comparison to a collar for example.

There's doing something wrong because you aren't aware, and then there's doing something wrong even when shown evidence/research/multiple opinions on something which is just plain cruel!

If you know your rabbit than it's minimal risk though. So that's not exactly wrong but I wouldn't say it's correct either. Imo the harness debate is like the indoor/outdoor cat debate in that neither side is ever going to fully agree. Letting your cat roam outdoors unsupervised is without a doubt risky and there's not a 100% guarantee that something won't happen but some people still feel like it offers enrichment which makes it worth it. Same thing with harnesses. You can't say one is wrong because it's an opinion even if it does have facts to back it up.

Collars though I agree on. I don't see why one would ever be necessary except in the examples you mentioned.

I always try to do what's best for my buns, and I know that there's things I do that people might disagree with. But caring for them is a continual learning process and I do believe that if people want to keep ANY animal as pets, then they should put every effort into learning said animal's care requirements - and the learning doesn't stop when the animal is at your home.

Exactly :thumb:

Back