• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit on lead ?

nwc123

New Kit
Has anybody managed to place a lead on there Rabbit ? (One intended for rabbit use obviously) Seen some photos of rabbits on other websites and they look like they are having a great time running round the garden. I did buy one for our house rabbit but never managed to get her to try it on !!

Hiya :)

Personally I dont like the idea of putting a harness/lead on a Rabbit. Rabbits are prey animals and IMO should not be restrained in such a way

Janex

I know what you mean, they just looked like they were having so much fun in the photos !! However when I originally tried to put the harness on her she was'nt having any of it so we left it at that, suppose bunny knows best !!!

I have leads for my two. At first they fussed but then they fuss about anything new. Now though they don't care about them. I think its because we got the new ones colour coordinated so they dont ruin their bunny sense of fashion.

And having them on leads in the garden is fun.... though try keeping up with a bunny on a mission......

i got a lead for ebony and she loves it, i took her inside and she tried going under my computer and then we wandered around in the living room, she was fairly curious but she loves it, especially running around the yard with it xD

I only tried one for Squidgy, but he really idn't like it - wriggled around like I thought he was going to break something!
They do all enjoy being in their runs on the grass though, so I would say that's the best way forward.

If your gardens not secure I think the best thing to do is get a secure run for them to play out in :D That way they can jump about as much as they like and there is no worry of them getting tangled in the lead or anything :D Mine love to run about the garden and binky so much I would never be able to keep up if I had them on a lead x

I had a lead for Dillion he was a house bunny cause we did not have a garden at the time, He loved going out front for a bit of a run:D

I need mine to be harness trained since I take them show jumping sometimes. (And you can say what you want, it doesn't harm the rabbits to jump and they're not forced to if they don't want to, yet many of them just zoom trhough the course the moment you put them down:lol: ) and there they have to be harness trained.
I bet they don't really "love" the harness, but once they're used to it they don't even know it's there:lol:
While in their harness they'll sit down, grooming themselves, Sasuke will try his luck on Zakura and Aroma just bounces around like the hyperactive little girl she is:lol:
They have runs too, but with two runs and three bunnies....it's fun for them to explore other areas of the yard as well:D I would even like to take them into the forest sometime...cept the buns rarely want to so we just stay in "their territory" aka: my yard.
When I take them on vacation the harness is the only way they can run around, since there's no room for a run anywhere only on the road or on the beach, which gets flooded twice a day:lol:

I sometimes notice many of you seem to find a lot of things "mean" towards a rabbit if it's not natural but it's not more un-natural for a rabbit to wear a lead than it is for a dog. ;) Of course you can't "walk" a rabbit like you do to a dog, but it's usefull for keeping them from running away or hurting themselves, as long as it's used properly. (And trust me, I've seen a few cases where even dog-leads aren't used properly. Like ingrown collars or dogs getting the lead stuck around its foot...my rabbits did that too sometimes but now I make sure to keep the lead of the ground and keep a close eye on their back feet so it won't happen again)

Last edited:
Show jumping rabbits :shock: I've never heard of that before.

Just search for it on Youtube. It's very popular in Skandinavia:D Mine aren't very good at it...but the first time I tried with Aroma and Sasuke I would just put them down on the ground in front of the obstacles and before I knew it they had taken the whole course.:lol:

Oh dear.... I think you may have started something now. My g/f has just watched Show Jumping bunnies and she is hooked.

I don't think leads are as bad as some people make them out to be. As ZakuraRabbit says, as long as they are used properly they are fine.

If you start on the "its not natural" thing then is it natural to keep a rabbit indoors or in a hutch or whatever... is it natural to give ill bunnies medicine... so that doesn't really work.

Pet bunnies are pets and domesticated. Having leads is just a way to make sure they are safe outdoors.

Youtube is FULL of bunny videos! I'm wondering how you can train a bunny! It keeps their minds active from what I have seen and they don't seem to be in any stress or such.

Nobody said they didnt like the idea because its not natural though :? I just think it would be easier for the owner and bunny and less stressful for a rabbit to play how they want in a secure run than have a hop around the garden because from watching my rabbits play there is no way they could do that if I had a lead on them :D The way they jump and twist around in the air and stuff wouldnt work with me following and keeping hold of them :D

And you cant really compare putting a lead on a dog to putting a lead on a rabbit, they are completely different animals :lol: Its much easier for a rabbit to get hurt than a dog with the way they jump about x

Nobody said they didnt like the idea because its not natural though :? I just think it would be easier for the owner and bunny and less stressful for a rabbit to play how they want in a secure run than have a hop around the garden because from watching my rabbits play there is no way they could do that if I had a lead on them :D The way they jump and twist around in the air and stuff wouldnt work with me following and keeping hold of them :D

And you cant really compare putting a lead on a dog to putting a lead on a rabbit, they are completely different animals :lol: Its much easier for a rabbit to get hurt than a dog with the way they jump about x

I would say that I have to agree with the above. It seems like every one here is an experienced bunny owner and therefore will know that a rabbits skeletal system is very delicate. I have known rabbits break their back simply from mounting, so I personally wouldn't take the risk of putting any of my bunnies on a lead, even the most placid of bunnies. Rabbits are prey animals and if your rabbit ever gets a fright and tries to bolt when on the lead what will happen then? I know all of you that do have your rabbits on a lead will say that your rabbits wouldn't do this and are used to their leads, but my dog is used to his lead...doesn't mean I can predict his behavior.

I would say that I have to agree with the above. It seems like every one here is an experienced bunny owner and therefore will know that a rabbits skeletal system is very delicate. I have known rabbits break their back simply from mounting, so I personally wouldn't take the risk of putting any of my bunnies on a lead, even the most placid of bunnies. Rabbits are prey animals and if your rabbit ever gets a fright and tries to bolt when on the lead what will happen then? I know all of you that do have your rabbits on a lead will say that your rabbits wouldn't do this and are used to their leads, but my dog is used to his lead...doesn't mean I can predict his behavior.

I have yet to hear about a rabbit breaking it's back because of a harness. You just need to make sure it's fastened properly.
Mine jump around even when wearing one, as long as the lead is long enough that's not a problem. I sometimes use a dog-lead that can be pulled out to three meters (though I'm planning to get one on 5 meters, since the handle on my old one is too small)
There are various types of harnesses, some are straight out dangerous which is why NKHF, the society for show jumping in Norway, have strict rules on the harnesses and leads, to make sure no rabbit is injured while wearing one.
Most people I know who has rabbits use harnesses, plenty of them do show jumping, and I have never heard of a rabbit getting injured in this competitions, despite the fact that they all jump with harnesses on, sometimes also very high:D

I have yet to hear about a rabbit breaking it's back because of a harness. You just need to make sure it's fastened properly.
Mine jump around even when wearing one, as long as the lead is long enough that's not a problem. I sometimes use a dog-lead that can be pulled out to three meters (though I'm planning to get one on 5 meters, since the handle on my old one is too small)
There are various types of harnesses, some are straight out dangerous which is why NKHF, the society for show jumping in Norway, have strict rules on the harnesses and leads, to make sure no rabbit is injured while wearing one.
Most people I know who has rabbits use harnesses, plenty of them do show jumping, and I have never heard of a rabbit getting injured in this competitions, despite the fact that they all jump with harnesses on, sometimes also very high:D

Well it seems like you are very responsible when using your harness, especially to ensure that they lead is long enough to enable the bunny to jump around etc.. I still don't agree with the standard harness/leads sold in pet shops in the UK. They are sold as gimmicks and aimed at children who have rabbits....not a good combination. I'm sure not all people who own harnesses are as conscientious when it comes to safety.

Personally, no.

I did have a lead for Bobbin when I first had him... I tried it once, didn't even get it round him... that told me no, besides there are better ways to give them excerise and fun in the garden; it's no fun being restrained :?

I can see that some may not mind it, the same way some don't mind being held, but let's face it, most don't like being held; most will not like a lead.

Don't push it :thumb:

Back