• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit on holiday - How to rabbit sit when you already have rabbits?

karenlh

New Kit
I have a bonded boy-girl pair of English lops, which I adopted just over a year ago from the RSPCA. They are quite independent bunnies, with a large hutch with run attached and free range over the majority of my rabbit proof garden when I'm home (I use a series of puppy pens stretched across the garden to stop them getting into my veg patch!). My friend had two bunnies, one of whom sadly passed away a month ago. She intends to find the remaining bunny (Mary) a new partner, but is on holiday for three weeks. I offered to look after the remaining bunny until she returns. She arrives tomorrow, and I have collected my spare "holiday home" hutch that I leave at my parents for our own rabbits whenever we are away. I've disinfected the hutch to try and make is smell a bit less like my rabbits, and obviously I don't intend to let them out in the garden together, but do you think I would need to screen them from each other's view when they are out? Or should they have different areas of the garden to roam around? I don't want any of them to be stressed out, particularly as Mary has recently lost her partner, and I've never been in this position before, despite being a long term rabbit owner, up until now none of my friends have had bunnies (I managed to win this friend round to rabbits with tales of binkies and being headbutted for strokes!).

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Was looking after her at your friends not an options to avoid all the stress of moving her especially into a hutch that isn't even her own?

As long as they all still get their usual exercise and treated as normal I shouldn't think they will fuss too much but I've always rabbit sat and popped round twice a day rather than move them to mine.

Can her hutch not be brought? She will get much more stressed in a completely new environment and hutch especially if she is recently bereaved. If it isn't possible (as it isn't always) make sure she has some of her own things in the hutch from home, same hay and obviously same food so that everything can be as similar as possible. Letting them out in different areas of the garden at different times will be best. Don't let them on the same area even at different times as they will be able to smell each other and could get stressed.
Is this bun normally kept outside? Thinking that having her inside would be easier but obviously won't be possible if they are outdoor buns.

It may be quite "fiddly" but will be worth it if all the buns are happy.

Her hutch couldn't be brought, sadly. I could have popped in on her, but I would be a 40 minute drive each way, so would be limited in how often I could pop over, and wouldn't be able to give her all the attention that she needs at the moment, especially as it is three weeks and not just a week. She is an outdoor bunny, so I think bringing her in, whilst it would probably be best in the short term, would actually make things worse when she goes back home.

I've bought some things from home, which hopefully make her a little more reassured, like some toys, her bottle, bowl and litter tray etc, and have taken vegan_bunny's advice and set out a separate area that is completely hers to roam in.

Any other suggestions as to what I can do to make this sad little bunny feel a bit happier?

Thanks

I think you've done all you can to make her as happy as possible. Make sure you give her plenty of one to one whilst not ignoring your bunnies. It does seem that her coming to you is the best option, it's obviously not practical for you to be making the trip over to hers. Make sure she has lots of stimulation to keep her occupied. Perhaps you could buy her a big teddy to put in? I've heard this can help a bunny feel more secure and she can take it home with her afterwards and keep it until she is found another partner. My bun was never interested in teddies but it's worth a try as she may benefit from it :)

Back