• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit just been Spey no poops help? Paracetamol?

Zoe99

New Kit
Hi my female rabbit after her operation on Friday is eating fresh mint and a little bit of gem lettuce but not yet back on pellets or hay she has had a few bites of seed treats. I haven't seen her drink any water and she is refusing it. Is this why she not pooing? Do I need to sirindge feed her some water? She is weeing fine. I can't tell if she trying to poop or not either. Any ideas? Not had this issue before with my other rabbits.

Vet gave GI meds but now wants me to give 0.8ml metacam then 2 hours later 2x500mg paracetamol this doesn't feel right? Any help? Why didn't vet give me more metacam?

Last edited:
Does she have adequate pain relief? Vet should have sent you home with some pain medication for your doe.
She needs to eat enough to keep her system from going into GI stasis.
Contact your vet or an out of hours vet to have her examined.

Hello! I don’t know much on this subject, but I definitely recommend putting your rabbit back on hay because that is absolutely essential for all rabbit’s diets. I also recommend getting a syringe and giving your rabbit water. Also you should call your vet. For your rabbit’s constipation put a teaspoon of olive oil into your rabbits food. Or to make sure your rabbit eats it you can mix some Quaker Oats (keep in mind this is a treat so use a small quantity.) in with the olive oil. This worked very well with my rabbits in the past. I really hope your rabbit feels better very soon! :thumb:

Does she have adequate pain relief? Vet should have sent you home with some pain medication for your doe.
She needs to eat enough to keep her system from going into GI stasis.
Contact your vet or an out of hours vet to have her examined.
I agree with bunny momma. Does should usually be given pain relief for a few days after a spay. If she's in pain then she won't eat as much and hence little or no poos. It's vitally important that she gets enough food to keep her GI tract moving. I would try to keep tempting her with her favourite foods. If she's still not eating for herself you will most likely need to syringe feed her.

I think your best course of action is to have her seen by a vet as soon as you can, get some pain relief if you don't already have some, as well as recovery food.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

As others have mentioned, post operative pain relief is an absolute essential. A Rabbit in pain will not eat.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/pain-management-rabbits/

https://rabbit.org/the-importance-of-analgesia-pain-control-for-pet-rabbits/

As your Rabbit has had no poo output since Friday she needs to be examined by a Vet again as at matter of urgency. She may need additional medication to get her GI tract working again- post surgical gut stasis is a condition that needs immediate Veterinary intervention. Some information about Gut Stasis in general can be found on here

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

So in short, my advice to you would be to contact the Vet again straight away. I hope your Rabbit will soon be feeling a lot better

I agree, I would get her seen by the vet ASAP. The fact she is not eating much will most probably be the cause of no output and her digestive system may need kick starting with gut meds. She will need pain relief if she hasn’t already been having it, and supplementary syringe feeding once the vet has determined there is no blockage. I would not recommend giving olive oil under any circumstances personally.

She might eat pellets made into a mush with a little boiled water and allowed to cool. Sometimes mixing a little mashed banana or vegetable or fruit based rabbit safe baby food in can tempt them. My rabbits like the appLe carrot and parsnip baby food pouches I get from Aldi.

Sending lots of vibes xx

Hi! How is bunny today. It's 2 days post spay and she should be eating fairly well today. Some rabbits take a bit longer than others to get back to almost normal. Has she wee'd?

Hi! How is bunny today. It's 2 days post spay and she should be eating fairly well today. Some rabbits take a bit longer than others to get back to almost normal. Has she wee'd?
Hi what a nightmare! Took her to vets who gave her injections but still no poop. Just before her op she did load's of poops so I dare say she emptyed out ? She is weeing and vet gave her drip or something. She is eating large stems of mint , spinage, red and green baby leaf, red chard and seed treats but no hay - not a hay eater, no pellets and no critical care, I can restrain her but she pushes syringe out with tounge. Otherwise she running around and being normal. So I'm really confused she has pain med but they want me to give her next dose metacam 0.8ml then 2 hours later 2x500 paracetamol. I'm worried about that as she a mini lion lop is that too much? I just got some child's Calpol instead of paracetamol tablets which will be easier for me to administer but still worried about pain overdose and no poops.

Hi what a nightmare! Took her to vets who gave her injections but still no poop. Just before her op she did load's of poops so I dare say she emptyed out ? She is weeing and vet gave her drip or something. She is eating large stems of mint , spinage, red and green baby leaf, red chard and seed treats but no hay - not a hay eater, no pellets and no critical care, I can restrain her but she pushes syringe out with tounge. Otherwise she running around and being normal. So I'm really confused she has pain med but they want me to give her next dose metacam 0.8ml then 2 hours later 2x500 paracetamol. I'm worried about that as she a mini lion lop is that too much? I just got some child's Calpol instead of paracetamol tablets which will be easier for me to administer but still worried about pain overdose and no poops.

I have never heard of a vet advising the use of Paracetamol for rabbits and tbh I would really be concerned. Paracetamol will have an affect on the liver and if your rabbit isn't eating very much, it's likely that her liver might be slightly struggling anyway. Also 2 x 500 is an adult dose of Paracetamol and so this seems way too much to give a small animal. Do you know if the vet gave her anything to help her digestion?

Hopefully, someone will be along soon to advise more re Paracetamol, but my gut instinct is not to give it.

I would be happy if a rabbit of mine was eating all you mention, the pellets and hay will come in time. She has had a big operation . One thing I would like to mention is seeds are a no-no for bunnies, they cannot digest them. I have also never heard of a rabbit being given Paracetamol in 20 years so I am sure she doesn't need that. Maybe you could start a new thread asking for recommendations for a Rabbit savvy vet in your area for the future. By tomorrow you should see your bunny much more back to normal. What is her name?

Hi it's called a Johnson's picnic treat for rabbits and piggies, honey,seeds, cereals, vegetables. I've not had any issues with my bunnies eating them before are they bad then ? I moved so new vets are PDSA I'm not impressed so far. The vets are obsessed with pellets and hay but she always been a fresh greens eater and doesn't really eat hay. She must be getting some rough age from the mink stems? And selection of bits from mixed baby leaf salad?

I have never heard of a vet giving a rabbit paracetamol and I would not give it to a rabbit even if the vet had suggested it. I would also suggest finding a rabbit savvy exotics vet ASAP.

Hi it's called a Johnson's picnic treat for rabbits and piggies, honey,seeds, cereals, vegetables. I've not had any issues with my bunnies eating them before are they bad then ? I moved so new vets are PDSA I'm not impressed so far. The vets are obsessed with pellets and hay but she always been a fresh greens eater and doesn't really eat hay. She must be getting some rough age from the mink stems? And selection of bits from mixed baby leaf salad?

I would not recommend anything with seeds and honey in for rabbits. Trouble is a lot of treats are labelled as being for rabbits but are actually unsuitable. Like dried corn on the cob, labelled as being for rabbits but it can cause impaction. It’s a minefield!

I have never heard of a vet giving a rabbit paracetamol and I would not give it to a rabbit even if the vet had suggested it. I would also suggest finding a rabbit savvy exotics vet ASAP.

I would not recommend anything with seeds and honey in for rabbits. Trouble is a lot of treats are labelled as being for rabbits but are actually unsuitable. Like dried corn on the cob, labelled as being for rabbits but it can cause impaction. It’s a minefield!

Yay just had tiny poops ! I will carry on with metacam but no paracetamol. Hopefully tomorrow she may eat a few pellets.

I would also support the views above. What I can add for you is that my doe, Lillian, was spayed 2 years ago and my goodness she took that hard so I do know how you feel and what your situation is. Lillian struggles with appetite and it took us over a week of vet visits before we figured out that for Lillian, her pain meds (metacam) wasn’t high enough and the minute the metacam was increased, Lillian turned the corner and pulled round quickly.
I would certainly look to speak with or directly consult with the vet and see if the vet feels supportive of increasing safely your rabbits metacam and to also not consider paracetamol. Make sure she is getting fluids and put treats down for her.
Syringe feeding or syringe meds is always tricky. We only just found out that bunnies have like a second flap in their mouth so ask your vet or vet nurse to show you a more effective way to administer syringe feeding/meds.
Sending loads of vibes for your bunny and hugs for you. X

She is eating some greens - so maybe try to extend the range of greens?
Will she eat fresh grass? It is one of the best sources of fibre for a rabbit.

Bramble leaves are good for fibre and are available all year round - you should be able to find some locally on rough ground, verges, etc.
You could also try other veg & herbs - parsley, corriander, celery (especially the leaves), cabbage (small amounts if she isn't used to it). They tend to go for stronger smelling things when they have a poor appetite.

Sometimes they will take softened pellets or critical care from a saucer. Mixing it with some veg-based baby food may help (apple, carrot, pear, etc)

You will only get output if she has food input. She should pick up in the next day or two, but you are doing the right thing by monitoring her.

I also agree with JJ that I would not personally be giving a rabbit paracetamol. Metacam works well and there is a wide ranging dose that can be used, depending on the condition, and always under the instructions of your vet.

Hi my female rabbit after her operation on Friday is eating fresh mint and a little bit of gem lettuce but not yet back on pellets or hay she has had a few bites of seed treats. I haven't seen her drink any water and she is refusing it. Is this why she not pooing? Do I need to sirindge feed her some water? She is weeing fine. I can't tell if she trying to poop or not either. Any ideas? Not had this issue before with my other rabbits.

Vet gave GI meds but now wants me to give 0.8ml metacam then 2 hours later 2x500mg paracetamol this doesn't feel right? Any help? Why didn't vet give me more metacam?

Paracetamol can kill them i read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back