• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit has growth in ear, not sure what it is.

Eaglei22

New Kit
My rabbit is about 4yrs old, and I keep him inside most the year. In the summer and fall he's outside in a rabbit hutch during the day, but I bring him in around dusk.

While bringing him in today, I noticed something in his ear. I thought it was a bug, but a closer look it looks like possibly a growth. I tried moving it off with a Qtip, but it was on there firm, and the rabbit squirmed when I did.

Any idea what this is? Should it be removed, or will it fall off on its own?

Pictures:

removed

Last edited:
Personally I’d see if I can get him to your vet today. Best to have the vet give it a thorough look. Ears are delicate places full of blood vessels and it’s better to have a vet look at it, in my opinion. The fact your bunny squirmed means he’s not happy about it.
I hope what ever it is, the vet can sort it for you.

My rabbit is about 4yrs old, and I keep him inside most the year. In the summer and fall he's outside in a rabbit hutch during the day, but I bring him in around dusk.

While bringing him in today, I noticed something in his ear. I thought it was a bug, but a closer look it looks like possibly a growth. I tried moving it off with a Qtip, but it was on there firm, and the rabbit squirmed when I did.

Any idea what this is? Should it be removed, or will it fall off on its own?

Pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n16z7eupqo270k7/Screenshot_20201001_214334_Gallery.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9pcahjoghnwwde/archive-1601609171405.zip?dl=0

Your Rabbit has a nasty ear infection. The ‘growth’ is actually hard crusted discharge and the tissue of the ear canal is severely inflamed. This needs prompt Veterinary treatment as ear infections can become very serious if not treated promptly. Please do not try to remove the crusting, it will cause severe pain. Sometimes ear infections can be caused by ear mites, this needs to be addressed promptly too. The best thing that you can do for your a Rabbit is to take him straight to a Vet. Good luck :)

Thank you both. I will make an appointment with the vet. I wasn't sure if it was an insect or something maybe attached.

I think the picture makes the canal look red like that from the light. The others I have look more like skin pigment of the first. I tried to upload another picture to dropbox but it's not giving me the option to for some reason.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll follow up with feedback from the vet.

it looks exactly like what my rabbit Luna had - granted hers was an ear polyp (non cancerous growth). it never bothered her and eventually fell off. either way, better to get it checked at the vet to be 100% sure

Thank you both. I will make an appointment with the vet. I wasn't sure if it was an insect or something maybe attached.

I think the picture makes the canal look red like that from the light. The others I have look more like skin pigment of the first. I tried to upload another picture to dropbox but it's not giving me the option to for some reason.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll follow up with feedback from the vet.

Glad that the ear is not as inflamed as it looked in the image. Always best to get a Vet to take a look at any unusual issues concerning our Rabbits health as things can look very different in a photo than they do IRL x

Thanks everyone. Took him to the vet today, and the veterinarian didn't know what it was but did a quick removal of it under minor anesthesia. He said he was otherwise healthy and everything else on him looked good.

Hopefully it doesn't come back! The rabbit is doing fine now though, and currently relaxing in his cage.

Thanks everyone. Took him to the vet today, and the veterinarian didn't know what it was but did a quick removal of it under minor anesthesia. He said he was otherwise healthy and everything else on him looked good.

Hopefully it doesn't come back! The rabbit is doing fine now though, and currently relaxing in his cage.

So glad that you got him to a Vet :) I hope the problem does not recur x

Great news. Glad you got such quick treatment at your vet.
Sending vibes to your bunny and hugs to you because it’s always scary and stressful when something like this happens so quickly and you don’t know what it is. Xx

Back