• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit fallen into pond

Septanest

Young Bun
Hi
upon arriving home from work today, my partner found that my British giant rabbit - jack had got out of his home. When my partner found him, he was soaking wet. Some how, jack must have fallen into our pond. In trying to get out of the pond, he has lost quite a bit of fur and has grazed his skin in a couple of places. I took him straight to the vet who said that he would recover from his ordeal - I have been given metacalm in case he is uncomfortable with bruising. I have got jack in the house with me now. He doesn't appear to be too distressed (although I am). He is grooming himself a lot......probably because he doesn't like being wet. Does anyone know how I can dry him? I am concerned that he keeps shaking his head.....like a dog does when wet. I am worried that he has been out of the pond for almost 2.5 hours but he is still wet. We are not completely sure how he got out of his house but we are confident that we have made it secure again.

awww poor bun!! Is there any chance someone could have come into your garden :?

Rabbits have thick coats and drying them can take quite some time. If he is comfortable enough, I would perhaps try and use the hairdryer on the lowest setting to help dry him off. It's pretty damp and cold outside so I wouldn't like to leave him out there while wet.

He is probably shaking his ears because of the water in them, it might be worth keeping an eye on them just incase he develops any infection.

Hi,I would dry him off with a towel and keep him inside until hes dry.He may have water in his ears thats why hes shaking his head.I hope he feels better soon

Just a thought but did they not prescribe any baytril (anti biotics):

1) To prevent ear infection
2) To prevent pneumonia

If other members agree I'd call your vet and ask for some to be left at reception for you to collect.

I'd definately try to keep him in, at least for tonight, maybe for a few nights in case of infection.

Hope you both feel better soon.

Poor bunny, the same thing happened to one of ours many years ago but luckily I was in the garden when it happened and managed to get her out straight away. Needless to say we dug the pond up the next day.

I agree that a hair dryer on a low setting would help. If he is still shaking his head tomorrow I would speak to your vet again :) good luck

No.....no antibiotics have been given to him. I will ring vet tomorrow and ask if he can have some as a precautionary measure. I am really upset that this has happened. It is unlikely that someone has got into garden.....but not impossible. Thank you for advice. Poor jack.....he must have been terrified.

awww poor bunny :shock: Hope fully he'll feel better soon. One of mine fell in a water container once, I can't remember which rabbit it was now but luckily I was there to help, poor bunny was really panicky though but luckily ok :D

No.....no antibiotics have been given to him. I will ring vet tomorrow and ask if he can have some as a precautionary measure. I am really upset that this has happened. It is unlikely that someone has got into garden.....but not impossible. Thank you for advice. Poor jack.....he must have been terrified.

I only ask because someone I know had a child come into their garden and drown their guinea pig in a pond before putting it back in the hutch :cry::cry:
I would padlock your hutch just incase someone has curiously come in and let Jack out.

Hope he will be ok.

I only ask because someone I know had a child come into their garden and drown their guinea pig in a pond before putting it back in the hutch :cry::cry:
I would padlock your hutch just incase someone has curiously come in and let Jack out.

Hope he will be ok.

God thats awful :cry::cry:

What a horrible, horrible child that must have been. There is no way I want to go through tonight again.....and the cost of a padlock will be a small price to pay to ensure jack is safe. He seems to be a bit more perky now and has had something to eat.

Back