• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit eating cat food - is this bad?

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
I've just come downstairs to find Barney munching on cat food :shock: About a quarter of the plate was empty and cat is outside.

I don't know what's possessed him to do this - he's just had his tea and he's never shown any interest in anything meaty before :?

Will eating meat make a rabbit ill?

My Flopsy did this recently with Suzie's cat biscuits. The vet said to expect some runny tummy problems but he was ok.

Like you I had no idea why unless there is something about the smell tat attracts them.

I now remove all cat food when Flopsy is out and about!

I hope your little bun will be okay xxxxx

He seems to be fine and eating his hay and grass normally so I hope it just passes through him (yuck!)

I need to keep a closer eye on the cat food - it's on a mat in the kitchen and so far Barney has had some and my friends toddler was found the other day with cat food on her fingers and around her mouth :oops: I need to find somewhere only cats can reach!

Rupert always does this.

If I let him in the house, he will often munch a couple of cat biscuits in the kitchen and then run off somewhere else. He's never had any trouble from it.

It's a very bad idea, you need to stop all chance of it happening again

I know it's a bad idea to feed rabbits cat food, it was accidental :? I meant was it very serious that he's eaten some and was he likely to be ill from it.

The cat was only with us temporarily so there'll be no more cat food left around for him to steal.

Hope there's no ill effect from the cat food. My Mr Bubble was always trying to get our dog's food. I now shut Bub in another room while it's Lucky's feed time. If Lucky hasn't eaten it within about half an hour, it is taken away till later, otherwise I'm sure Bub would eat it all :shock:

Back