• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit choking on science select pellets

Obibun

New Kit
after my first bun died choking on science select pellets I went into everything in order to find out why. I rang the manufacturer to see if it was a bad batch of food. They said they would investigate and then took my contact details. I never received any call back not until I gave it a one star review on pets at home. Then I had emails from pets at home saying they’ve raised a case and science select are concerned and want to contact me. they did contact me and the response letter was well we sell millions of portions of this food without complaints so it can’t be us. So thinking this was a freak accident it was just a greedy bunny we carried on using the food and then 4 weeks later we had a second bunny choke to death on the same food. This time I was straight in the phone I talked to a some lady in one department and then someone who was important rang with the I’m so sorry routine but it’s not us how can it be. Completely dismissing that I was trying to tell him. the pellets are too long and when inhaled the pellet dissolves real quick it and completely blocks the air way and the rabbit has no chance once this happens. He then promised to have a look into it but wanted my vets report the rabbit did choke. I promptly sent him this and then we never heard a single thing back from this company. They only care about profit and not about the welfare or health of your rabbit. I wish I never changed over to science select and stayed with burgess that decision will haunt me for ever

after my first bun died choking on science select pellets I went into everything in order to find out why. I rang the manufacturer to see if it was a bad batch of food. They said they would investigate and then took my contact details. I never received any call back not until I gave it a one star review on pets at home. Then I had emails from pets at home saying they’ve raised a case and science select are concerned and want to contact me. they did contact me and the response letter was well we sell millions of portions of this food without complaints so it can’t be us. So thinking this was a freak accident it was just a greedy bunny we carried on using the food and then 4 weeks later we had a second bunny choke to death on the same food. This time I was straight in the phone I talked to a some lady in one department and then someone who was important rang with the I’m so sorry routine but it’s not us how can it be. Completely dismissing that I was trying to tell him. the pellets are too long and when inhaled the pellet dissolves real quick it and completely blocks the air way and the rabbit has no chance once this happens. He then promised to have a look into it but wanted my vets report the rabbit did choke. I promptly sent him this and then we never heard a single thing back from this company. They only care about profit and not about the welfare or health of your rabbit. I wish I never changed over to science select and stayed with burgess that decision will haunt me for ever
I too had a Rabbit who choked on SS. Thankfully he survived. I didn’t get any satisfactory response from the company either, but they have now changed the size of the pellets. Well the Adult ones anyway. The pellets used to be like thin jelly beans in shape, now they are similar to the shape of Excel pellets, just a bit bigger.

I'm very sorry to hear of your experience :(

Unfortunately manufacturers love the "it wasn't us" response. It is absolutely rotten. All you can do is spread the word and refuse to buy from them again. Thanks for letting us know.

So sorry to read this about your poor bunnies. Jane has warned me before that rabbits choke on SS. I just thought as they are giant buns they would be ok. I'm thinking now I want to change back to Burgess aswell. I have always had this worry even though they eat them without any problems. Thank you for posting. Your post could save bunny lives

So sorry to hear how you lost your poor bunnies, but good on you for taking the manufacturer to task. My two bunnies were only ever fed Burgess, but I was given a sample of SS, I never fed it to my bunnies thank goodness. Thank you for sharing, it can't have been easy.

So sorry to read this about your poor bunnies. Jane has warned me before that rabbits choke on SS. I just thought as they are giant buns they would be ok. I'm thinking now I want to change back to Burgess aswell. I have always had this worry even though they eat them without any problems. Thank you for posting. Your post could save bunny lives
The SS Adult 4+ pellets are a different shape now to the shape of the ones that caused my Rabbit to choke. The shape is just a slightly larger version of a Burgess Excel pellet. I will now feed SS Adult 4+ pellets. I don’t know what the shape of the pellets in the other SS ranges are though.

Back