• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit broken femur

My rabbit has broken his femur and the bones are over lapping. Has anyone experienced a rabbit doing this and recovering without surgery. It has been a week now and still waiting for animal hospital to reply to referral. He is 9yrs old and a house rabbit.

So sorry to hear this, and no I've no experience of broken bones in a bunny. Has your bunny been given pain relief, has he been seen by a vet ?

I’m so sorry :cry: I’ve not got experience of this so I can’t advise. I’ve moved your thread into the health section so hopefully it will be seen by someone who can advise. Sending lots of vibes

My only experience was with a front leg, which ended up being amputated as we couldn't get the bones to stay in place after 3 attempts to set them, and they were too fine to pin. He was much happier with the amputation than the dressings for the break. He was a younger rabbit.

I suspect that pinning would be a good option, assuming there is no underlying cause for the break. Don't discount amputation if other options really are not working. Tripods do really well. Age shouldn't be a barrier to surgery / anaesthetics, if there are no other reasons not to consider it. I've had 9 year old rabbits undergo regular dentals under anaesthetic - one only had one functional lung. Recovery from amputation is pretty quick - mainly keeping the surgical site clean and dry at first, then the rabbit learning to balance again. There are a few other things to consider - such as grooming and ear cleaning, which may need to be monitored and assistance provided if the rabbit can't do it properly (and doesn't have a companion bun to help out), and additional stress on the spine and other limbs which may cause arthritis in the long term.

Rabbits can recover from broken bones without surgery - it needs a lot of cage rest, pain relief, etc. X-rays would still be needed to assess the issue, and these usually need sedation. At 9 years old, I would be looking for a functional outcome (ie a leg that he could use reasonably well to move around, with no pain) rather than a cosmetically good one (ie it may not be as straight as before). Hugo's There (a member on here) used to take in a lot of very disabled rabbits who all had an excellent quality of life, with adaptations in their environment to meet their needs.

I hope all goes well.

Back