• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Purpose of Cross Breeding?

Here is some interesting history about the English Lop. Breeders sometimes ironed their ears to make them longer. :roll:

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/belsonsbunnies/page3.html

Firstly, thats an american site. Secondly I don't believe a word of it!!! Utter rubbish!!

Geoff Russell is 'MR English Lop' and has written a book about them - some info can be found on his site though:
http://www.geoffreyrussell.co.uk/articles2.htm

English Lops did not come from French lops - they ARE the original breed of lop so everything else originated from them!

Now I have heard that many moons ago English Lops were not cleaned out. Fresh sawdust was just sprinkled on top. This was because the owners believed the heat given off by the rotting feaces would generate sufficient heat to make the ears grow. Thank god times have changed!!

It is extremely hard work to get an English Lop looking good, those ears are sensitive. My ex used to breed them and he used to have to file the babies nails regulary so they couldn't scratch their ears.

How did we get from a conversation about crossbreeds to English lops?!?! :rolleyes: :lol:

cross breeding of any animal is really only to the benefit of us humans and those who breed them at the end of the day:roll: When you look at nature in it's true form, you dont see the variety of monkey breeds breeding amongst each other or lions and tigers mating which says each species is genetically informed to which is the right partner/species for them:)

Human intervention is very dangerous at times, especially where a life is concerned:( I hope I will never a see a day when some-one decides to cross a tiger with a zebra just so the zebra can run faster:roll: (yes I know, rubbish example as they are 2 different species:lol:) With all the dogs that are being cross bred for human justification and looks:(, I hope I never live to see the day when we have the tigbra's or owlrots:roll:

I hope I never live to see the day when we have the tigbra's or owlrots:roll:

:lol::lol: sorry but "owlrots"?:lol: sounds like something out of Harry potter! I totally agree with what you've said though.

When crossbreeding happens by accident, fair enough. But deliberate cross breeding doesn't seem to be good for the animals concerned.

Beatrix is a rescue from ARC and Jill said that she is probably a cross breed from Nethie and medium lop. I love Beatrix to bits and love her crazy ears (she can be lopped, uppy or even aeroplane when she feels like it!).

One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is they're all man made anyway, sticking to breeds that people have made over the years don't valiadate a bun anymore then a cross breed.

I personally would rather go back to no pet rabbits, but I don't validate a breed over a xbreed, 90% of my bunnies are x breeds and they're all loved just the same.

My buns arn't less of a bun, because they're not brc standard bunnies. :D

sorry Romy, it was the first thing that came to mind from crossing and owl with a parrot:lol::lol: or we could have the robtit or blacktit:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Careful you'll give someone ideas!!! ;):lol::lol::lol:

The main problem isn't that it's not a recognised breed - as Tree say's they are all man made labels/looks anyway - it's that cross breed implies a lack of information on family genetics.

Most cross breeds don't have a five odd generations of pedigree showing that there is no family history of genetic health problems. That doesn't mean you can't have a lionhead-dutch-lop with five generation 'pedigree' just it's a bit uncommon.

The main issue with rabbits is teeth problems. A pedigree Dwarf Lop should have a family history proving it's unlikely to have teeth problems where as a cross breed (that looks like a dwarf lop) generally has no such thing. When you start muddling breeds together you never know what you end up with in regards to jaw shape.

One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is they're all man made anyway, sticking to breeds that people have made over the years don't valiadate a bun anymore then a cross breed.

That is true Tree, they were originally bred for meat which is what I have read:(

I thought we were talking about cross breeding that is happening now and in the future or am I wrong:oops:? what is done is done but I would not welcome any future cross breeding. It would be like me cross breeding with the jolly green giant, I may enjoy the mating part but there is no way I would be able to give birth to his off spring, nor would I want to:lol::lol::lol:

That is true Tree, they were originally bred for meat which is what I have read:(

I thought we were talking about cross breeding that is happening now and in the future or am I wrong:oops:? what is done is done but I would not welcome any future cross breeding. It would be like me cross breeding with the jolly green giant, I may enjoy the mating part but there is no way I would be able to give birth to his off spring, nor would I want to:lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol:Jolly green mini Denny :lol:

I think, I don't agree with breeding full stop, so cross breeding is no different to pedigree breeing, neither is worse then the other. I think my opinions have changed so much from being on here.

Denny, on a serious note, what you've said is very true. I worry about the breeding of a large breed to a small female. It must have a bad affect on the poor things body giving birth to a large breed x babies surely??:(

I think, I don't agree with breeding full stop, so cross breeding is no different to pedigree breeing, neither is worse then the other. I think my opinions have changed so much from being on here.

I agree. In an ideal world I'd love to see breeding stopped and only allowed by rescues/santuaries. I would hate to see the rabit species wiped out I think the world would be a horribly empty place with less animals, especially rabbits. :(

:lol::lol::lol:Jolly green mini Denny :lol:

pmslololol well apart from green kids, can you imagine how much sweetcorn I would have to buy a week just to feed them:shock::shock::shock::lol:

I am the same as you as my views have changed so much since being on here too, wonder how many others have too:)

pmslololol well apart from green kids, can you imagine how much sweetcorn I would have to buy a week just to feed them:shock::shock::shock::lol:

I am the same as you as my views have changed so much since being on here too, wonder how many others have too:)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

When I first adopted Darcy back in 2004 I had no knowledge of rabbit rescues. It was only after I bought him from a breeder that I found this forum. Although I don't regret that as that would mean no Darcy! I don't see myself buying from a breeder ever again. I want to help buns in rescues. I thank god for this site educating me on better food etc for rabbits. And the updated rabbit books. The more information that is out there to educate people about rabbits the better.

Occasionally even purebred breeding can cause troubles.
I've heard of Netherland dwarves who've been having troubles cleaning themselves because of their body-type.

purebreeding causes most problems, because you duplicate any bad genes - this is far less likely with a cross of two completely different breeds, crossbreeds are often more vigourous than pures.

Back