• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Probiotics for Rabbits?

Beapig

Mama Doe
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with probiotics designed for rabbits? Since his dental last Tuesday, Hammy has been getting bloated after he eats. It does pass, but I can see that he is uncomfortable. As he is an old boy, I think maybe going under anaesthetic has stressed his system.

I'm looking at Protexin Bio-Lapis on Amazon, the reviews seem good. Or Vertark Pro-C. I would be interested to know if anyone has used any different brands with success. Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:
P.s. I'm looking at the powder form rather than the pellets, as I feel this would go down better with his bloat.

Tried them all [emoji38]

I found the pellet one worked the best for Atticus, but it really depends ofc. The ones we're using atm are a different brand though I'll check what it's called

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Tried them all [emoji38]

I found the pellet one worked the best for Atticus, but it really depends ofc. The ones we're using atm are a different brand though I'll check what it's called

Thank you Graciee! After reading lots of reviews, I decided to buy the Protexin Fibreplex. Hammy likes to eat from the syringe and it is carrot flavour, so fingers crossed he will approve :)

Thank you Graciee! After reading lots of reviews, I decided to buy the Protexin Fibreplex. Hammy likes to eat from the syringe and it is carrot flavour, so fingers crossed he will approve :)
Oh I've used that stuff when mine are getting over stasis! It's good I think, but I've never used it long term, like a week tops

Mine have all liked it though :)

Oh I've used that stuff when mine are getting over stasis! It's good I think, but I've never used it long term, like a week tops

Mine have all liked it though :)

Do you know if there are any which are okay to use long term as a preventative? The Vetark Pro-C one seems to have good reviews too. Maybe it is unnecessary to give daily, but I'm just trying to cover all basis :)

Do you know if there are any which are okay to use long term as a preventative? The Vetark Pro-C one seems to have good reviews too. Maybe it is unnecessary to give daily, but I'm just trying to cover all basis :)
I'm not sure tbh, it's just extra fibre mainly which is the benefit, but I'm wondering if one of the pellets would help or fibrefirst if he'll eat them. I find the pellet work really well because putting the power in the water was hard to work out what he got plus he shares and I don't think it's very healthy.. Basically I found it wasteful and hard to gauge whereas I give him literally 10 small pellets a day and know what he's getting.

Do you think the pellets would cause a problem for him?

Back