• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post spay

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I have my 3 females booked in for spaying a wk on Friday (20th July) and I'm stressing over what to do with them after their ops. 2 live together in outdoor hutch and one currently lives indoors in temp set up (dog crate/pen) I know they should be kept indoors for a couple of days after op but I don't really have anywhere to put the pair indoors as i want to keep them well away from the single until they're all recovered and hormone free! And iv used my spare cages for her! I have ordered a large carrier to take the pair to the vets in but not arrived yet so hard to imagine the size, but other than that I won't have anything to put them in indoors :? I have dogs that stay in the kitchen so that's not an option. Any ideas/advice? Do u think I need to buy anything before the day (pref don't want to as I'm spending a fortune on them right now!! I need every penny!!) What would u do?? :oops:

Sorry I can't be of help but I have 2 does awaiting spays at the end of July, I'm replying to this thread so I can keep an eye on it for advice! :oops:

Hi there. I have had many does spayed and they have gone outside to their hutch straight after. Make sure the hutch has been thoroughly cleaned when they are at the vets and this time of the year you dont have to be worried about cold temperatures. Give them pllenty of hay unless the vet says not to and they dont noormally want their dried food but prefer some greens or fresh grass. The only thing to be worried about is if their hutch has a shelf or similar because you dont want them jumping on anything. Nothing strenuous for a couple of weeks and they should be fine. They all take different lenghts of time to recover. I have just had a Nethie done and she was bright as a button when I picked her up annd continued that way. But some are more dopey and just want to be quiet and rest. I have 15 neutered does outside and they have all come through the op very well and most are now living with their husbuns!

When I had Rosie spayed I kept her inside my room in her carrier for the first night. So that she was warm enough and I could keep a close eye on her. During the day I made a little play area for her, only a couple of feet or so but enough to stretch her legs and stuff. I was worried about her splitting her scar so tried to keep jumping etc to minimum.
After I did that for about 2-3 days, was sure she was eating fine, had her painkillers, and was healing I moved her outside onto the softest hay I could find. Try using fleeces if your bun isn't a chewer as this would be even softer.
Keep checking the wound everyday to make sure it is healing :wave:

Keep a close eye on them!!

When we got Bo spayed she kept popping her wound open - eventually the vet put stitches in as she would not leave it alone!! :love:

Hi there. I have had many does spayed and they have gone outside to their hutch straight after. Make sure the hutch has been thoroughly cleaned when they are at the vets and this time of the year you dont have to be worried about cold temperatures. Give them pllenty of hay unless the vet says not to and they dont noormally want their dried food but prefer some greens or fresh grass. The only thing to be worried about is if their hutch has a shelf or similar because you dont want them jumping on anything. Nothing strenuous for a couple of weeks and they should be fine. They all take different lenghts of time to recover. I have just had a Nethie done and she was bright as a button when I picked her up annd continued that way. But some are more dopey and just want to be quiet and rest. I have 15 neutered does outside and they have all come through the op very well and most are now living with their husbuns!

Thanks this makes me feel better!! They have a ramp in the hutch, would I be best trying to close it off as they do rush up and down if they think I'm letting them out? Other than that they tend to spend most of their time in the top part anyway and use the bed as toilet and lay in the outside bit so it's usually clean. Obviously il get advice from the fry but just wanted to know if there was anything I should buy before the day. Thanks for your reply :wave:

When I had Rosie spayed I kept her inside my room in her carrier for the first night. So that she was warm enough and I could keep a close eye on her. During the day I made a little play area for her, only a couple of feet or so but enough to stretch her legs and stuff. I was worried about her splitting her scar so tried to keep jumping etc to minimum.
After I did that for about 2-3 days, was sure she was eating fine, had her painkillers, and was healing I moved her outside onto the softest hay I could find. Try using fleeces if your bun isn't a chewer as this would be even softer.
Keep checking the wound everyday to make sure it is healing :wave:

I may do this the 1st night il c how they r but the lack of space with there being 2 might just make them agitated :? They've never had fleece blankets or anything, always been outdoor bunnies on hay and straw, the stuff I get is pretty soft tho and the vet has said to take some in for them so everything is familiar smells etc. Thanks :wave:

Keep a close eye on them!!

When we got Bo spayed she kept popping her wound open - eventually the vet put stitches in as she would not leave it alone!! :love:

Eek!! :shock: I hope they don't! I'm going to have a sleepless night that night I think!!

Try and block off the top of the hutch, don't use hay/straw/anything that can agitate their wounds in the hutch, I left mine "empty" with only Lola's litter tray which had newspaper and a towel in :) Same as the girlie indoors :wave: the crate will be a good space for her, I kept Lola is a similar space for a week :wave:

Keep hay raised for them :wave: they'll be fine :love: I posted on xlaurax's thread about her buns being spayed so if you wanted a more detailed post then it will be there :wave: I'm on the iPad so can't link :lol:

Back