• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay Adhesions

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
If you have had the misfortune of having a Doe spayed and for her to go on to develop post surgical adhesions would you mind sharing an account of the sequence of events. Was the spay straightforward? How old was your Doe ? Was her initial post spay recovery uneventful ? How long after surgery did clinical symptoms of the formation of adhesions occur and what treatment was given ? Was further surgery attempted ? Did the adhesions reform ? If your Doe recovered from the initial problems did she go on to be a 'stasis prone' Rabbit ?

Three final questions- what colour was your Doe ? I am especially interested to hear if she was all white or had some degree of white fur in her coat.

What breed was she ?

Was she overweight at the time of the spay ?

TIA xx

If you have had the misfortune of having a Doe spayed and for her to go on to develop post surgical adhesions would you mind sharing an account of the sequence of events. Was the spay straightforward? How old was your Doe ? Was her initial post spay recovery uneventful ? How long after surgery did clinical symptoms of the formation of adhesions occur and what treatment was given ? Was further surgery attempted ? Did the adhesions reform ? If your Doe recovered from the initial problems did she go on to be a 'stasis prone' Rabbit ?

Three final questions- what colour was your Doe ? I am especially interested to hear if she was all white or had some degree of white fur in her coat.

What breed was she ?

Was she overweight at the time of the spay ?

TIA xx

Obviously Fleur was black, rex fur, don't know if she was an actual rex though ofc.

If there's anything you want to know let me know, I'm sure you've heard it all already and understand what happened to her better than me.

Wasn't overweight, first stasis was after spaying, spay was straight forward no issues, she didn't recover well though, then I think it was a couple of months later that she had the stasis again and died from it. They tried to operate but she died when they put her under. The post mortem flagged some stuff up but wasn't super conclusive of what happened, there was something inside that was the wrong colour I forget what it was.. Liver maybe? It was white like it had lost supply to it. I can find out if it helps.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I haven't had any experience with this. I didn't understand a lot about the detail of how and why it happens though, so have been reading about abdominal adhesions post surgery in women. I think you'll probably have read lots of this type of information yourself, but if you haven't I found it quite instructive, in particular just how common adhesions are in humans. Most of these adhesions apparently cause no problems. It's the amount of scar tissue and how it develops, which seems to be the issue.

Thanks for replying. I guess I am just struggling to accept that having 3 Does go on to develop post spay adhesions in quick succession hard to come to terms with. I know Rabbits form post surgical adhesions more readily than other species, something to do with their calcium metabolism I think. And I also know that a calcium channel blocker (Verapamil) drug can be used to reduce the formation of post surgical adhesions

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2812657

But use of the drug is not without risks (cardiac related).

I don’t know if Snowy (white bun) had adhesions as we didn’t have an overly bunny savvy vet at the time but she did almost die after her spay during the recovery period. She developed stasis too and was just generally unwell to the point she was hospitalised for two days. The spay itself was straight forward and she was approx 2 years old. She did recover although was stasis prone the rest of her life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back