• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possessive Behaviour

Gideonlove

New Kit
I have recently taken on a new bun called Eddy as my friends have had to move house and couldn't take her with them. She didn't come with a friend and has been kept on her own for the last 18 months. She previously lived in their garden and according to her previous owners had been kept as a house rabbit before. I have decided to keep her inside as I thought it would be nicer for her to have people around rather than be by herself in the cold outside. I have been introducing her slowly to different parts of the house, normally I leave another door open so that she can find the way herself and she never has any problem finding her way back to her indoor hutch where she has her meals and does her business. However.... over the last two days she has become incredibly possessive of the indoor hutch. She gets very upset if you remove anything from it. I thought this was due to being insecure within the new surroundings so I started to remove the soiled bedding when she was in another room. Eddy must be psychic, because no matter where she is in the house the moment you touch the indoor hutch she launches her attack- this involves charging towards you at high speed whilst shouting and then she'll attempt to eat you. :shock: This behaviour now happens at breakfast and tea time too, no matter how nice the contents of her bowl she'd much rather eat you because you've had the audacity to go near her house. I would like her to feel more at home and make the experience of a new home as easy as possible for her. If anybody has any tips or advise I would be very, very grateful! She is a lovely rabbit, quite friendly most of the time and she likes to be stroked. I am sure it is just the new surroundings that have thrown her. It is very sad to see her get so distressed and I would appreciate some help! :(

Last edited:
I think she needs a lot of time to adjust, the only constant she's had in her life would be her little hutch and she might be suspicious you are trying to lure her into other places while you take away her hutch:shock: It's amazing how different rabbits will behave so differently in the same circumstances:)

Back