• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor pet shop rabbits U/D been to shop :(

Oh Mandy, I am so very sorry, that must have been awful for you, and those poor bunnies, but you tried your best, it would appear that there are just some people who can't be helped.

Dont beat yourself up about it, I am really sorry for you

Its a difficult situation. The only thing you can do is not buy from petshops that sell animals. I'm lucky as my local petshops don't sell animals.
Although it is annoying that petshops sell rabbits at the end of the day they aren't to blame for stupid people buying them on a whim and then getting fed up with them. The petshops could provide more care information and sell better size hutches but while people keep buying rabbits from them they will continue to sell them as its easy money! :roll:

Aww Mandy, that was really brave to go in and face him, sorry it didn't work out. We can only hope that one day legislation will come in to protect small animals sold in petshops.

I really wish you could only buy rabbits and guineapigs from licensed inspected breeders and rescues - how about putting our efforts into campaigning in public rather than on RU where generally it's only people who know the problems that are here? We need to get this out in the public domain. Maybe shock tactics, on local tv, press etc, pointing out all the bunnies that are dumped in rescues in winter (and I'm sure quite a few are just turned out or killed) only to be replaced in summer? I think a lot of the public have no idea, I know I didn't and I'm horrified by the problem rescues are facing at this time of year.

rather than a negative campaign (shock tactics), I think a positive campaign (ie publicity for the rescues) would be a great start...

The only reason I have a rescue bun is because I needed to find a friend for a recently bereived bun, so wanted an older bun... I didn't realise bunny rescues really existed before then... a quick google turned up the RR site and the rest they say is history...

If I had known before, I might never have bought from a pet shop...
It's the sort of thing that a campaign to schools might help? (I know people say they don't want to adopt to kids - but i'd hazard a guess that it's kids that drive the majority of demand - also, kids are the adults of the future!)

dunno - i'm rambling now...

:oops:

It's so frustrating but at least you tried. Today i walked past the shop where I found Willow and the guy had put a hutch outside on the pavement with something inside it. I think it was a guinea pig but I couldn't see as it was hiding in the covered area. This road is such a busy main road with cars and lorries passing constantly and it was about 1m from the road. Poor animal must have been so frightened. :( It just makes me so mad. These people have no feelings for the animals at all. I might email the council again.

thanks everyone, In the end I am glad I tried as otherwise I would have felt guilty for not doing anything at all.

I forgot to say that I did get the vets nearby to put a poster up about rabbitrehome, so maybe that might steal some of his passing trade :twisted: Well you never know :lol:

Next time I go over to my vets I shall take one there too, and the feed store nextdoor which doesnt sell animals....I might also have achat to Celia about doing a poster for her to put up in vets.

ooo mandy how awful for you! there was no call for him to be so rude to you!
atleast you tried your best and had an attempt. x

Well done for making a stand Mandy - reckon you got to him though - why else would he have reacted so agressively?

Back