• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Firefly has nodular myxy (Arc bun) UD Good news!

Yes, the vet says his duct is probably blocked by the myxy nodule. Will the nodule fall off by itself or will it need lancing? How will I know when?

Myxi nodules tend to dry up and scab over and then just drop off by themselves at a certain stage of the disease process. It can take a week or so I believe, if not longer for the more stubborn nodules. I would be wary about excising it whilst still in it's inflammatory stage incase it causes a lot of bleeding or comes away with too much surrounding tissue. Unless it is blocking something vital such as breathing then I would be reticent about removal and let it come off when it is ready.

Parsnipbun who has been through this recently would be able to advise you better. I could have written a load of nonsense. :oops:
Meanwhile I would just continue to bathe the eye as when needed to keep her feeling comfortable and clean. :)

Myxi nodules tend to dry up and scab over and then just drop off by themselves at a certain stage of the disease process. It can take a week or so I believe, if not longer for the more stubborn nodules. I would be wary about excising it whilst still in it's inflammatory stage incase it causes a lot of bleeding or comes away with too much surrounding tissue. Unless it is blocking something vital such as breathing then I would be reticent about removal and let it come off when it is ready.

Parsnipbun who has been through this recently would be able to advise you better. I could have written a load of nonsense. :oops:
Meanwhile I would just continue to bathe the eye as when needed to keep her feeling comfortable and clean. :)

Thank you! Will do as you suggest. :)

Well....I put him on Septrin because the tiacil alone didn't seem to be working fast enough (advice of Vet who saw him). He seems brighter in himself tonight, having had a couple of quiet days - I found him halfway down the garden this afternoon; very unlike him. He ate a huge bowl of food this morning too. Am still concerned about his eye so we have an appt Thursday (vet wanted septrin to have a chance to kick in before he sees him). First step if it's not good then will be to flush tear ducts (still blocked by nodule). I put his drops in late at night, so will update later on when I've seen how his eye is...it will be nearly 48 hours since he started the septrin then...

Thank you for asking! :wave:

Btw Foxglove shows no sign of myxy and is dashing round like a mad thing :lol:

Well....I put him on Septrin because the tiacil alone didn't seem to be working fast enough (advice of Vet who saw him). He seems brighter in himself tonight, having had a couple of quiet days - I found him halfway down the garden this afternoon; very unlike him. He ate a huge bowl of food this morning too. Am still concerned about his eye so we have an appt Thursday (vet wanted septrin to have a chance to kick in before he sees him). First step if it's not good then will be to flush tear ducts (still blocked by nodule). I put his drops in late at night, so will update later on when I've seen how his eye is...it will be nearly 48 hours since he started the septrin then...

Thank you for asking! :wave:

Btw Foxglove shows no sign of myxy and is dashing round like a mad thing :lol:

:lol: what a surprise, little madam!

Glad he is doing ok x

:lol: what a surprise, little madam!

Glad he is doing ok x

Foxglove is loving it here. Although she sleeps in a hutch with Firefly, she's figured out that I feed the shed-buns a few seconds sooner each night, so she dives into the shed and starts chomping as fast as her little jaws will let her, then allows herself to be steered into her own hutch once the food is safely there... :?

Have just done Firefly's eye for the evening, and for the first time since it was infected it wasn't sealed shut and there was no significant discharge! Looks like the septrin/tiacil combo is working! :D:D:D Firefly even stamped at me when I put him back in his hutch - an absolute first! Within seconds he was nomming away at his evening extra-pellet-treats.. :love:

Vibes that this means his eye can be saved!

Foxglove is loving it here. Although she sleeps in a hutch with Firefly, she's figured out that I feed the shed-buns a few seconds sooner each night, so she dives into the shed and starts chomping as fast as her little jaws will let her, then allows herself to be steered into her own hutch once the food is safely there... :?

Have just done Firefly's eye for the evening, and for the first time since it was infected it wasn't sealed shut and there was no significant discharge! Looks like the septrin/tiacil combo is working! :D:D:D Firefly even stamped at me when I put him back in his hutch - an absolute first! Within seconds he was nomming away at his evening extra-pellet-treats.. :love:

Vibes that this means his eye can be saved!

I am so glad to hear this! I hope everyone starts coming around and healing up nicely. :)

Keep up the great work!!

Thank you both. Eye still not discharging this morning, also pink rather than red around inside rim, so have stopped metacam (vet advised). Firefly sitting out in the garden again (normally he stays in or very near his hutch), so another good sign...seeing vet tomorrow afternoon and staying on tiacil/septrin meanwhile :wave:

So pleased to hear he is improving. :)

You are fighting a hard battle and doing very well by the sounds of things. Great news, hope he continues to improve. :wave:

Back