• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poll- how much time do you spend caring for your buns??

How much time do you spend caring for your buns- not including play time.

• <Less than one hour per day

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • 1 hour daily

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • 2 hours daily

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • 3 hours daily

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • 4 hours daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 5 hours daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 6 hours daily

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 7 hours daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 hours daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 8 hours daily+

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
I hand wash vet bed aswell, otherwise I would have my washing machine concking out with hay in it, it gets intertwined in the fibres.

Why not clean out the filter every couple of weeks instead? I wash vet bed in my machine most days and my machine is fine as long as the filter is cleaned regularly

About an hour, a good 20 minutes per feed/water change (at least 3 times a day). Didnt include litter tray changes or cleaning out or any other bits such as grooming or cleaning Starbuck's eyes, but thats not everyday anyway.

I killed our washing machine about 2 months ago with vet bed :oops::oops::oops:

I still do use the machine to wash it but it's washed in an old quilt now & we bought a washing machine with a bigger drum - in the hope I don't kill another one!!! :roll: :oops:

I spend on average 2 - 3 hours per night with cleaning & feeding etc - then on a Saturday or Sunday it takes me about 5 hours when I do a 'super' clean.

No wonder I look like a total zombie for work!!! :roll: :lol:

I put an hour.

I have two buns, one of them is on daily meds, but an hour is plenty of time for morning and night feeding, cleaning & meds.

Why not clean out the filter every couple of weeks instead? I wash vet bed in my machine most days and my machine is fine as long as the filter is cleaned regularly

Where is the filter? Not being funny but, by the time I pull the washing machine out and apart to do that - I could have washed loads of vetbeds by hand:lol::lol:

Less than an hour, thats to clean out their trays and feed them and stuff. I only have two bunnies though

I check them over during play time. If I am home the rabbits and rats are with me so I do spend quite a lot of time with them

For 2 buns - about half hour in the morning & abit less in evening feed.
Mornings include food & water & fresh newspaper down & fresh litter trays...they trash the place...and the litter tray has to be cleaned every day.
Disinfectant - wipe with vinigar usually about 2hours for good clean.

Average 1 - 1/half hours per day:D

I'd say an hour on litter tray day and 30 minutes the other days.

Morning - 5-10 minutes to feed pellets and give fresh hay (ETA. sometimes an extra 5-10 mins for a quick sweep)
Evening - 10-15 minutes to chop veg and wash it and feed it; 5-10 mins to feed more hay and pellets; 5-10 minutes to quickly sweep up; 1-2 minutes to do water. I don't wash their bowls out every day, and when I fill I just fill both bowls with a jug.

On litter tray days (twice a week) it takes me about half an hour to rinse trays out, fill trays, swap trays over, do a more thorough sweep, change duvets/towels, put a wash on (not every time - probably every 2 weeks) and put old trays in the garage.

Last edited:
Where is the filter? Not being funny but, by the time I pull the washing machine out and apart to do that - I could have washed loads of vetbeds by hand:lol::lol:

The filter is usually somewhere easy to get to, like at the front of the machine near the bottom. You'll see a removable panel which comes off to reveal a circular filter thingy, which you unscrew (usually by hand) and can chuck the contents in the bin.

I put a bath mat and an old towel on the floor in front of the machine to stop spills when I'm cleaning it out.

I'd say if I add up chopping greens, washing bowls etc, it must be about two hours a day. The actual care of them takes about an hour but it's all the little extras too.

I can't wait to have my own house, they're going to be house bunnies then and that will save a lot of time :)

I probably spend a good few hours each day changing litter trays, water bottles, feeding etc. On full clean out days I think I could easily double that.

Opps i added play time also! So im about 1 1/2hour daily for 1 bunny Thats feeding , medication, cleaning litter trays and hoovering cage, cleaning bowls and bottle, and grooming :)

I put an hour, that's for 2 bunnies.

Morning: Feed them half their pellets
Afternoon: Feed veg
Evening: Change water, change litter trays (1 big tray in the hutch and 2 in the run - disinfect and refill). Refill 2 hay bowls or change if they've wee'd in them (most days). Brush them and give second lot of pellets.

Weekly: Disinfect hutch and change all the blankets and towels. (normally have to brush them over with clothes brush as they are covered in fur and otherwise won't wash out properly. Plus the fur gets all over my clothes when I wash them!:roll:). This probably takes an hour.

Every 3 days: Because of Pickle's sore hocks the run is filled with hay as its on concrete (they are moving into their new shed on the grass at the weekend!:D). I change the hay every 3 days, sweep it all out, disinfect the corner where the litter trays are (they regualrly "miss"!) and lay down fresh stuff. That's probably about half an hour.

Back