• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - sad decision to make

KirstiRobinson

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone,
I haven't posted here for a few years but I need your help... My bun Mojo is almost 12. He has been declining slowly over the last year with his mobility and became less and less active though he still enjoyed eating and strokes etc.
4 weeks ago he developed snuffles which we treated with 2 courses of Baytril, but then he went into stasis. We treated the stasis and he recovered for a few days. Then was up and down on and off.
On Friday he went very downhill and stopped eating. Despite metacam and gut stimulant he hasn't improved. He has now barely eaten in three days, barely any wees or poos. His arthritis seems to have worsened, and the snuffles is back with a vengeance. It seems likely that he may also have something happening internally with his tummy as he occasionally seemed to have pain when eating.
I think I need to help him go, but I am riddled with anxiety over whether it's the right thing or if i should try to help with anymore treatments. We did a culture for his snuffles bacteria and the only antibiotic was a tablet we'd have to crush and dissolve and we all agreed not to put him through that, but now I wonder if its the right choice.
He is such a strong bunny, but I think he's tired. I don't want to cause him anymore stress.
I have booked a home visit euthanasia for tomorrow with a company as our vet won't come out, but I'm so nervous incase it's the wrong thing to do. Any advise appreciated :(

I am sorry that your old friend has become so poorly. To be honest if he has not passed any poo or wee for three days he may actually pass away before tomorrow. Is he on good pain relief ? Personally I would want this to be the case. When was the last time your Vet examined him ?

It sounds as though he has a lot going on. I personally always find these decisions horrendous, and I can totally understand where you are coming from, and the doubts that you have. But he may well be telling you in the only way he knows how that he has had enough. Lots of love to you x

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow. It's a horrible decision to have to make but you've made it with love and with his best interests in mind. Huge hugs.

I am sorry that your old friend has become so poorly. To be honest if he has not passed any poo or wee for three days he may actually pass away before tomorrow. Is he on good pain relief ? Personally I would want this to be the case. When was the last time your Vet examined him ?

He has passed a few tiny poos, but he won't take any food or water at all now. He's on metacam but we are struggling even to get that into him as he fights us off and spits the whole lot out. It's become very stressful for all of us.
The vet saw him last Saturday when he wasn't quite as bad. Because we thought he was nearing the end we have been trying to manage with meds and love at home, as the vet really stresses him out. I've spoken to the vets a number of times on the phone for advice. I want to do what's right for him. I've just spent 12 years trying to help fix any problems so this feels so unnatural to just give up, but maybe it's my own selfishness that I don't want him to go.

Thank you everyone else for your nice words

It doesn't sound like selfishness to me at all. It seems to me that you have worked so hard to try to keep him going, and don't want to leave any stone unturned, so you can be sure that you've done all you can. But I think in the end, all you can probably do is assess his quality of life. I find it's so difficult when it's a gradual deterioration.

I don’t think it sounds selfish at all, quite the opposite. Sometimes the most compassionate thing we can do for a frail and poorly Rabbit is to let them go. That is not ‘giving up on them’, it is giving them a peaceful passing when their frail body is too tired to fight on.

So sorry that you are having to make this decision for you bunny. As others have said, it's the last act of kindness we can do for them when they are struggling. I will keep you both in my thoughts xxx

Thank you everyone. We had planned a home euthanasia tomorrow but he seems so miserable and sad plus I think he is in some pain.
We can take him to our vets but they use a gas anaesthetic to make him fall asleep and it doesn't sound as peaceful. I just don't know what to do for the best! 😢

Thank you everyone. We had planned a home euthanasia tomorrow but he seems so miserable and sad plus I think he is in some pain.
We can take him to our vets but they use a gas anaesthetic to make him fall asleep and it doesn't sound as peaceful. I just don't know what to do for the best! ��

Ask for him to have Domitor IM rather than gas.You cannot remain with him if gas is used.Domitor is an anaesthetic .You can hold him as he goes to sleep. Then the Vet can give Phenobarbitol IV which stops his little heart.

I am so sorry to read this and I have huge admiration and respect for your depth of courage. You are absolutely not selfish and you have the deepest love and respect for Mojo. Thinking of you and sending hugs to you and vibes for Mojo. xx

Hello, I’m so, so sorry your going through this. It must be so extremely difficult for you. 12 years of love is a long time [emoji174]. I don’t think your being selfish. They say wanting someone or a pet to go who’s suffering is just love. You just want them free of pain. Whatever you decide your doing it with love in your heart. Def ding love your way at this time to you & mojo xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have had to make such a heartbreaking decision but are showing Mojo the greatest love by doing your very best for him and allowing him to pass peacefully. X

Back