• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please send vibes for Ernie - He's come round and ok 8-)

Tree - did the vet stick a needle in the lump to see if he could get anything out? Is the lump still getting bigger? As I said on the phone the other day it is not uncommon for a guinea pig to develop a benign lump. Personally if it was my pig I wouldnt have him operated on unless the lump was growing rapidly. Have you considered taking him over to the CCT in Huntingdon for an expert opinion?

sgprescue said:
Tree - did the vet stick a needle in the lump to see if he could get anything out? Is the lump still getting bigger? As I said on the phone the other day it is not uncommon for a guinea pig to develop a benign lump. Personally if it was my pig I wouldnt have him operated on unless the lump was growing rapidly. Have you considered taking him over to the CCT in Huntingdon for an expert opinion?

Nope, it's no bigger, in fact I probably should get a second opinion. I will pm you to get soem more info :D

Hiya Cheryl,

I have pm'd you, just googled CCT and is it like the RWA, where they have a list of vets or does he need to go to Cambridge., I am a bit confused :oops: :lol: . I don't mind taking him to Cambridge, but it will need to be on a weekend, because of the **** I work for wont let me have time off. I will e-mail them now :D

Awwww Tree, sending lots of vibes for Ernie XXXX Your not being silly treating him hun look i treated baillies cancer and it cost me £2,500 i didn't get much mnore time with him but i got a little and thats all that mattered XXX

Thanks again guys. XX

I don't mind paying it's not that, that I'm bothered about, it's putting him through something that may make him suffer more :( , I don't want to keep him alive for me if you know what I mean :(

Awww poor Ernie, fingers crossed you've caught it early and he gets years more with you.

Lots of vibes from me and my two squeakers

SOAD said:
Thanks again guys. XX

I don't mind paying it's not that, that I'm bothered about, it's putting him through something that may make him suffer more :( , I don't want to keep him alive for me if you know what I mean :(

But Tree you may be giving him a chance at another year or two, I thought when i had Baillie perated on that i would have him at least another year, no one new that the cancer would come back as quickly as it did, if i had known that that would happen i would never have put him through major surgery but you have to try Hun, if i hadn't done what i did then i wouldn't have had my pup this year i wold have lost him last year XXX

What Phill's said is absolutely right, if you truely believe that there is a chance he could/would have much more time with you then you have to take that chance.

Phill took that chance with Bailey and although it didn't give him as much time as Phill had hoped, I'm certain she wouldn't have missed out on the precious months they had together.

If you don't do this, theres always the chance you'll spend weeks even months after saying 'what if'

If I'd known what I do now about Rats my precious Cola may still have been with us :cry:

I am not saying I wont have him operated on, I'm saying I want to weigh up all the option to see what is the best for Ernie :(

Just caught up with this. So sorry to hear Ernie's poorly. Only you can decide what's best, as you know him best, but I think that animals have a way of telling you if they've had enough, and it sounds like he's fit to carry on for a good few years yet!
A second opinion sounds like a good idea, as they may be able to suggest something different.
Hugs to both of you.

Right I've contacted the GP people Cheryl to,ld me about and they've sent me this e-mail

Mammary tissue tumours in guineas that are malignant are not that common, most of them are benign fatty lumps, and don’t need removing if they are small and not getting in the way of your guinea moving around. As Cheryl rightly said, your vet should have done an FNA (fine needle aspiration) which is basically putting a needle into the mass, taking some cells out and looking at them under a microscope to see what they are. For the majority of times they are harmless fatty lumps which are best left alone unless they are growing quickly. I would definitely get a second opinion if your vet hasn’t done this before your piggy gets operated on. It’s a very quick and easy procedure that does NOT require any kind of anaesthetic

Which blows right out the water what David the vet said (I hate him anyway, maybe if the **** did his job right he may of noticed something was wrong with Drake). They've given me a number to get a gp savvy vet in the midlands. I will just get the vet and get the lump tested before the proceedure. :D

Cheers Phill, I have no quarms at all getting him opperated on, but I want this FNA first because he's such a tiny piggy and the lump doesn't stick out it's a flat mass, like a ten pence, so they will have to cut it out of him rather than cut it off if you know what I mean, I wouldn't of even noticed it if it wasn't for the blood. looking forward to having him tested properly, phew the relief :lol:

Im glad you managed to get in contact with them :thumb: too many vets are still far too keen to give un-necessary anaesthetics to small animals. The most likely cause of the lump is either a small abscess or a small benign tumour (which would not cause any problems), your vet should have known this but obviously wanted to go straight down the surgery route :evil: . It makes me so angry that your vet told you 90% of mammary lumps in gp are cancer as this is not the case :evil:
I am sure you will have much better luck with the cavy savy vet they told you to contact ;)

Thanks,

I've just spoke to a few different vets and they have said if there is blood coming from the nipple that it does sound like it's cancerous. I have asked my own vet for an FNA and they said they will do that, but the reason they recommend surgery is because of the blood and it will delay time waiting for the results of the FNA. I am very confused 8-(

You poor thing, what a worry for you. Sounds to me like these vets want to cover themselves just in case, go with what the expert says - are these other vets as clued up on cavies? And how quickly could you get an FNA result?

They probably are not so clued up about them. I just typed in cavy vets in the west midlands and it bought up a few numbers, I don't think they're real experts though. I'm still waiting for my cavy list. They said the results will take a week. What annoys me though when I saw David vet last night, he said yeah probably cancerous continue on the baytill, I said how on earth is baytril going to help cancer :? and he said well you'll need surgery probably, so booked him in there and then. When I spoke to the reception, they said well you were booked in for surgery, because there was no time to wait for results. Errrr hello, I was the one who insited on the something being done, where's mel (normal vet) when you need her. :cry:

Back