• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

PLEASE I NEED HELP!!! My rabbit might be very ill???

where abouts are you? we may know somewhere you can get some good hay from quickly. seriously, he needs hay asap, if his guts get clogged up with pellets he will go into something called stasis and that could kill him.

Going to the vets can be stressful to an animal, and rabbits have very delicate digestive systems.

Can you get hold of some hay where you are?

I agree, can you get some hay for him? Or any untreated grass? But only a small amount so as not to upset his sytem further.

i dont feed him hay cause he loves the pellets and more carrots.

I van try and feed him that.

and no he was'nt like this before the vet

Your rabbit is probably stressed from the vet visit etc, there are a number of vegetables you can feed your rabbit but, the majority of his diet should be fresh hay, this is in order to keep his teeth burred down aswell. I would get a good supply of this and some dandelion and make it available everyday as part of the routine, at the very least it should be in the litter tray to assist with pooping and weeing - they like to nibble when they are toileting. Do a search on diet and you will get lots of threads come up about what to feed a rabbit. Here's an example http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html :wave:

I agree with all the others.

Transport anywhere can be distressing for Rabbits so may just need to settle down but for the future health you really need to give him some hay.

As Sky-O says, you will need to introduce it gradually as a chance in diet may cause further discomfort. Also may be worth trying to feed some Grass, but give it a little wash and feed it when it it wet. This allows you to get a bit more liquid into him

Its very clear how much you love your bunny. Hopefully we can help you through this :) I hope you stick around and we can help you both.

Agree that buns diet should be 90% hay but if bun is currently going in to stassis from the stress of a vet trip tempting him to eat any of his usual foods, keeping him hydrated and mobile, together with a further vet trip if there is no quick improvement - eating, pooing, for gut mobilizers, painkillers and hydration, would seem more appropriate than introducing hay at this time.

I do agree with Dusty Rabbit that hydration is super important right now, as is exercise too. Does he have much space to run around in?

Agree that buns diet should be 90% hay but if bun is currently going in to stassis from the stress of a vet trip tempting him to eat any of his usual foods, keeping him hydrated and mobile, together with a further vet trip if there is no quick improvement - eating, pooing, for gut mobilizers, painkillers and hydration, would seem more appropriate than introducing hay at this time.

Agreed, hence my suggestions of wet Grass

hey guys thanks alot

ok im getting him HAY now now and im going to moniter him if its still the same i will take him back to the vet

Sounds like a good plan - don't stress out too much as he will inevitably pick up on that aswell, try to be relaxed and deffo get the hay today !;)

That is a GREAT sgn! Often when bunnies feel rough hay is what they go to before many other things. Give his as much hay as he wants, and more. Also, try and give fresh hay very regularly at the mo, so throw in another handful every hour or so (bunnies seem to love the smell of fresh hay, and so eat more of it than hay that has been in there for a bit).

Please offer a bowl of water as well as his usual bottle as they find it easier to drink from a bowl if they are feeling poorly. Perhaps offer some veg or grass or dandilion leaves (if you get them is SA!) that you have washed and NOT dried so he gets extra fluid - replace often with fresh ones if he doesn't eat them.

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is esting the HAY!!!

Is that a good sign and it looks like he is enjoying it :D

Yes a very good sign, keep topping it up and leave him to rest, put a bowl of cooled boiled water or a saucer in aswell as sometimes it is more natural for them to drink from bowl/saucer. :)

ya i have been making him drink lot water and he has lots and lots of space to run and he has been running around this morning he was jumping high and doing flips and jumping on my bed...

Back