• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Help - Write to Argos re Pitiful Selection of Hutches

I have done a similar thing regarding a tiny Wilkinson hutch.

I got a reply that was totally inadequate so I responded to that.

This is the hutch.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/rs00026

This was my initial email.

Hi,

I refer to the above product (catalogue No: rs00026).

Please note that this product does not comply with the RSPCA’s guidelines for the minimum dimensions for rabbit hutches. It is therefore not suitable and should not be sold for rabbits. As a rabbit owner myself, I would urge Wilkinson to review its rabbit product range and ensure compliance.

This is not a frivolous complaint. I am a regular Wilkinson customer of over 10 years and spend approximately £1500/year in your stores.

Regards,

This was their response.

Further to my emailed reply to you yesterday, I have received a considered response from our third party supplier of pet houses.

The following is his exact response;-

Dear all,

Thank you for your recent enquiry. We take all comments seriously and note the following. Our range of hutches are compatible to attach to our exercise run making the overall area for most small animal large enough within the guidelines. The guidelines of 4ft x 2ft x 2ft are always on the optimized side and to the best of my knowledge there a very few or any companies at all that currently make the hutch outside these measurements. Reading some sites they specify you have a shed not a hutch which is not practical for many rabbit owners.

Kind regards

The Team

This was my follow-up response.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have now had the opportunity to consider the response carefully and would make the following comments in the same order that they appeared in the response.

1) I would respectfully point out that your third-party supplier is incorrect regarding the guidelines. For convenience, a link to the Rabbit Welfare Association is provided below.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/content/argos_letter_guideline.doc

This cross-refers directly to the RSPCA guidelines and the dimensions. Coincidentally, the RWA document actually forms part of a template letter to Argos on the same subject.

2) The supplier’s statement that “The guidelines of 4ft x 2ft x 2ft are always on the optimized side…” is factually incorrect and can hardly be described as ‘optimised’ when it provides 33% less accommodation volume than the guidelines. The ability to attach a run is noted. However, as you will note from the guidelines, a run is recommended as an addition to the hutch, not a replacement for its lack of space.

3) The supplier’s statement that “to the best of my knowledge there are very few or any companies at all that currently make the hutch outside these measurements” is demonstrably incorrect for an experienced supplier. A perusal of numerous other suppliers and eBay would illustrate this. Suitable hutches are available that exceed 4ft x 2ft x 2ft.

4) The supplier’s statement “Reading some sites they specify you have a shed not a hutch which is not practical for many rabbit owners” is, indeed, correct. Many sites do specify a shed plus run.

If the provision of this suitable accommodation is not practical for many rabbit owners, then one might reasonably question their decision to even own rabbits without prior research regarding their needs. The lives of the unfortunate rabbit(s) are, quite literally, in their owner’s hands. They have no choice in the suitability of their accommodation and simply have to ‘suffer in silence’. Please note that I make this comment simply as a mere rabbit owner who believes that owners should make a commitment to care for the welfare of their rabbits for the duration of the rabbits’ lifetime (approximately ten years), not until they (or their children) lose interest (typically a few weeks/months). I do not speak on behalf of a ‘rabbit rights activist’ organisation.

Wilkinson is not the only business supplying unsuitable hutches. Pets at Home, Argos and many other independent pet stores do likewise. In my opinion and on the basis of other knowledge, there is a large available market for suitable rabbit runs that is currently not being addressed. To illustrate this, you might care to look at the following websites.

http://www.holidayhutches.com/

http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/site/suitable_housing

Please note that this is for illustration only. I have no commercial connection whatsoever with these organisations.

Once again, I thank you for your courtesy and prompt response to my email. As you will appreciate, I have no wish to enter into prolonged correspondence on this matter if Wilkinson has already made its decision. The facts are, however, widely available in order to inform any future decision that Wilkinson might wish to make.

I am now suitably informed to decide where to place my business in future.

If anyone wants to copy any bits of these, they are welcome to do so.

I emailed Wilkinsos and said:

Dear Wilkinsons,

Ref catalogue No: rs00026.

I am disappointed to say the least to see you offering this hutch as suitable housing for a rabbit. It does not comply with the RSPCA’s guidelines for the minimum dimensions for rabbit hutches. It is therefore not suitable and should not be sold for rabbits. Indeed, it is only just large enough for Guinea Pigs and only then assuming there was a permanent run attached (which you appear to give no advice or details of).

I am a loyal and regular customer of Wilkinsons. I am also a rabbit owner and volunteer for a local rescue. I estimate my spend per annum at Wilkinsons to be in the region of £900-£1200. I ask that you please reviews your rabbit product range and comply with the minimum RSPCA guidelines.

Yours faithfully
--------------------------------------------------------------

They have replied this morning and said:

Dear Jenny

Thank you for emailing us here at Wilkinson Plus with your comments.

I have logged this and will pass this on to our traders so they can then highlight this with our suppliers to query this further .

As soon as we have a response from our suppliers we will email you again .

Kind Regards

Paula Day

Wilkinson Plus Team

08456 08 08 07

Latest email from Wilko's:

Hi Jenny

We previously forwarded your comments on to our supplier and they have now replied. We have made some amendment on our website with reference to the size of the Animal to be housed.

Please see Comments from our supplier and RSPCA information they looked into.

Supplier Comments

We take all comments seriously and note the following. Our range of hutches are compatible to attach to our exercise run making the overall area for most small animal large enough within the guidelines. The guidelines of 4ft x 2ft x 2ft are always on the optimized side and to the best of my knowledge there a very few or any companies at all that currently make the hutch outside these measurements. The majority of customers wish to have as large a hutch as possible but either don’t have the space to fit the hutch or don’t wish to pay the price. Reading some sites they specify you have a shed not a hutch which is not practical for many rabbit owners. We have sold many thousand over the yrs and only received 2 reports of the size not been within the RSPCA guidelines usually from a competitor. All hutches on the internet or within stores are all like for like within centimetres so would mean there are a lot of undersized hutches currently on the market.

RSPC Guide Lines

Facts

Rabbits are athletic animals. They need the opportunity to hop, run, jump, dig, stand fully upright on their back legs, and stretch out when lying down.

A rabbit must be able to avoid things that scare it. Rabbits are a prey species and must be able to hide in a secure place, away from the sight and smell of predators (e.g. foxes, cats, dogs, ferrets and birds of prey).

Living in a draughty, damp, hot, poorly ventilated or dirty environment may cause your rabbit to suffer and become ill.

A rabbit needs regular access to an appropriate place to go to the toilet.

Rabbits are intelligent. If your rabbit is bored, and doesn’t have enough to do, it may suffer.

Rabbits are inquisitive. If there are hazards within their environment they may easily injure themselves.

Things you should do

Provide your rabbit with a secure living environment that is large enough for it to exercise in and stand up fully on its back legs.

You should provide both a large exercise area and a secure shelter where your rabbit can rest, feel safe and is protected from predators and extremes of weather and temperature. Ensure all areas of your rabbit’s environment are well ventilated, dry and draught-free.

Make sure your rabbit has constant access to safe hiding places where it can escape if it feels afraid.

Allow your rabbit to exercise regularly.

Provide enough bedding to keep your rabbit warm. Bedding should be safe for your rabbit to eat, e.g. dust-free straw or hay.

Give your rabbit regular access to a suitable place where it can go to the toilet, separate to where it eats and sleeps.

Clean the housing and toilet areas regularly.

If you are going away, try to find someone to care for, and meet all your rabbit’s welfare needs within its familiar home. If boarding your rabbit, try to ease the move by keeping grouped rabbits together and taking familiar items, such as toys, along too.

When you transport your rabbit make sure it is comfortable and safe at all times. Putting familiar smelling items in the carrier and the new environment can help make your rabbit feel at ease.

Ensure the size and temperature of any place you leave your rabbit (including your vehicle) is appropriate.

Make sure that where your rabbit lives is safe, secure and free from hazards.

I Hope this information is of help

Kind Regards

Paula Day

Wilkinson Plus Team

08456 08 08 07

To which I replied:

Dear Paula,

I would like to highlight the sections of the feedback from your supplier which are incorrect:

1. "the guidelines of 4ft x 2ft x 2ft"

WHOSE GUIDELINES ARE THESE? Where have they got these dimensions from? This size hutch would not be large enough even for a guinea pig!
The Rabbit Welfare Association and RSPCA minimum guideline for a rabbit hutch length is 6’ (180cm). This will house one or two small-medium size rabbits; however larger breeds require a bigger hutch. Ideally the width and height should be around 2’ (60cm). Height is very important, as a rabbit needs to be able to stretch upwards without banging its head on the roof. If you are short on space, a multi storey hutch may give a rabbit more room without filling up the garden. If the hutch has more than one level then it does not need to be as long, for example a two-storey 5’ hutch will provide plenty of floor space. Three-foot hutches (even with multiple levels) are too small for rabbits, as they do not provide enough room to stretch out and turn around with the ramps between floors.

2. "to the best of my knowledge there a very few or any companies at all that currently make the hutch outside these measurements."

Correct! You have hit the nail on the head! Which is what's so tragic and exactly why we're trying to educate manufacturers and suppliers!! I find this response quite staggering and very shortsighted. In effect the supplier is saying that because they aren't aware of anyone else making hutches to the minimum RSPCA/RWFA guidelines, they won't either!! Almost laughable really. What kind of place would we live in if no one ever did anything different, made a stand or did the RIGHT thing?

Purely from a business perspective I would have thought that this was exactly the reason FOR making hutches to the min guidelines and promoting them in this way! Has the supplier no idea of the demand for good quality hutches of the right size? Have they invested in some proper market research to find out what responsible rabbit owners REALLY want or is this comment just based on sales? It is very likely that many people are buying that size because there's nothing else available or because they don't know any better. This supplier has an opportunity to address both issues AND MAKE MORE MONEY! A no brainer as far as I'm concerned. I know of at least four people who have had to have hutches custom made at great expense (by local carpenters) because there were none available at the right size on the market locally.

3. "The majority of customers wish to have as large a hutch as possible but either don’t have the space to fit the hutch or don’t wish to pay the price"

So address the need and help to educate people at the same time! If people can't afford a good hutch of the right proportions, how will they afford to care for the rabbit(s) properly? Vaccinations, neutering, food etc don't come cheap. By offering small & cheap hutches you are adding to the already massive problem of impulse rabbit buying which leads to unwanted/dumped bunnies at overstretched rescues. Each year 33,000 rabbits are handed into rescues and they're just the ones we know about...

4. "Reading some sites they specify you have a shed not a hutch which is not practical for many rabbit owners."

Agreed and I'm not asking you to make sheds.

5. "We have sold many thousand over the yrs and only received 2 reports of the size not been within the RSPCA guidelines usually from a competitor.

That doesn't mean that what you are doing is right! In addition, it is an accepted fact that most unhappy customers don't bother complaining or giving feedback ***BUT WHEN THEY DO IT IS A GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY FOR THE SUPPLIER TO LISTEN AND IMPROVE*** How can you possibly know how many people WOULD have bought a hutch from you had you offered one they wanted??? Again, good independent Market Research would give you the answer. How do you know how many sales you have LOST because you aren't offering hutches of the right size?

6. "All hutches on the internet or within stores are all like for like within centimetres so would mean there are a lot of undersized hutches currently on the market."

AND????! So be the entrepreneur, the first "Dyson" of hutch manufacturers! Produce something that the customer actually wants rather than something they just have to put up with because there's nothing else available or because they don't know any different!! What a spectacularly missed business opportunity!

WILKINSONS: At the very least PLEASE post information on your web site and in store which explains to would-be and existing rabbit owners what the CORRECT minimum requirements for a hutch are so that they may make informed decisions about their purchases. I am happy to supply this information. This small action will cost you NOTHING but could make a HUGE difference to the lives of thousands of bunnies.

Regards

Latest email from Wilko's:

Hi Jenny

We previously forwarded your comments on to our supplier and they have now replied. We have made some amendment on our website with reference to the size of the Animal to be housed.

The website now states "Not suitable for large Rabbits". It's not suitable for any rabbits.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Rabbitshack-Products/Rabbit-Hutch-Medium-RS-101/invt/rs00026?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D

Please see Comments from our supplier and RSPCA information they looked into.

Were these the only items of RSPCA information they looked into?

Supplier Comments

We take all comments seriously and note the following. Our range of hutches are compatible to attach to our exercise run making the overall area for most small animal large enough within the guidelines.

The guidelines relate to the hutch only. The run is suggested as an extra, not as part of the guideline dimensions for the hutch.

The guidelines of 4ft x 2ft x 2ft are always on the optimized side and to the best of my knowledge there a very few or any companies at all that currently make the hutch outside these measurements.

Not correct. See eBay and other online supplier sites.

The majority of customers wish to have as large a hutch as possible but either don’t have the space to fit the hutch or don’t wish to pay the price.

If the customer cannot provide adequate accommodation - don't have a rabbit.

Reading some sites they specify you have a shed not a hutch which is not practical for many rabbit owners.

COLOR="Red"]If the customer cannot provide adequate accommodation - don't have a rabbit.[/COLOR]

We have sold many thousand over the yrs and only received 2 reports of the size not been within the RSPCA guidelines usually from a competitor.

Well I know that I sent one report about this and I'm not a competitor. Fluffers sent another one. These are unlikely to be the only ones, so this statement is not correct.:(

All hutches on the internet or within stores are all like for like within centimetres so would mean there are a lot of undersized hutches currently on the market.

Possibly so. P@H, Argos, Zooplus, etc and numerous high-street pet shops sell inadequate hutches, but that's hardly a justification.

As an analogy, there are lots of rabbits for sale via free-ads, but that's not an excuse for selling more.

RSPC Guide Lines

If they are going to quote them, they should spell 'RSPCA' correctly.

Facts

Rabbits are athletic animals. They need the opportunity to hop, run, jump, dig, stand fully upright on their back legs, and stretch out when lying down.

A rabbit must be able to avoid things that scare it. Rabbits are a prey species and must be able to hide in a secure place, away from the sight and smell of predators (e.g. foxes, cats, dogs, ferrets and birds of prey).

Living in a draughty, damp, hot, poorly ventilated or dirty environment may cause your rabbit to suffer and become ill.

A rabbit needs regular access to an appropriate place to go to the toilet.

Rabbits are intelligent. If your rabbit is bored, and doesn’t have enough to do, it may suffer.

Rabbits are inquisitive. If there are hazards within their environment they may easily injure themselves.

Things you should do

Provide your rabbit with a secure living environment that is large enough for it to exercise in and stand up fully on its back legs.

You should provide both a large exercise area and a secure shelter where your rabbit can rest, feel safe and is protected from predators and extremes of weather and temperature. Ensure all areas of your rabbit’s environment are well ventilated, dry and draught-free.

Make sure your rabbit has constant access to safe hiding places where it can escape if it feels afraid.

Allow your rabbit to exercise regularly.

Provide enough bedding to keep your rabbit warm. Bedding should be safe for your rabbit to eat, e.g. dust-free straw or hay.

Give your rabbit regular access to a suitable place where it can go to the toilet, separate to where it eats and sleeps.

Clean the housing and toilet areas regularly.

If you are going away, try to find someone to care for, and meet all your rabbit’s welfare needs within its familiar home. If boarding your rabbit, try to ease the move by keeping grouped rabbits together and taking familiar items, such as toys, along too.

When you transport your rabbit make sure it is comfortable and safe at all times. Putting familiar smelling items in the carrier and the new environment can help make your rabbit feel at ease.

Ensure the size and temperature of any place you leave your rabbit (including your vehicle) is appropriate.

Make sure that where your rabbit lives is safe, secure and free from hazards.

I Hope this information is of help

This is talking to the converted. It's the "motherhood and apple pie" argument. The important thing is doing something about it.

Kind Regards

Paula Day

Wilkinson Plus Team

08456 08 08 07

Well done for doing this Fluffers:). I have taken a quick look at this Wilko email and made some comments above (in 'red').

It's good that Wilko appear to be prepared to listen and make changes.

Are you intending to respond to them?

It would be so simple and easy to do a point by point rebuttal of their email. I did a similar draft response for the Argos email. This one from Wilko appears to be seeking to justify the status quo plus a cosmetic amendment to the website.

ETA: Sorry Fluffers, just seen your post - you have already replied.:oops:

Last edited:
Back