• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help - really upset

Aww sweatie please dont feel disheartened Jims is a very wriggly bun and has been since we adopted him in Feb 09 even the vets have trouble sometimes. We can not pick him up. But he is the most affectionate bunny i know! He follows me around, plays like a puppy, jumps all over me and loves nothing more that to snuggle on the floor or bed, he snuggles right in to me and licks my nose. Obviously i would LOVE to be able to cuddle him but i think because trying to pick him up stresses him out so much it is probably best not to?
In regards to the taking him out of his cage i agree with the other posts, bunnies need a place they can call their own so he probably perseves you as 'invaiding' his space when you try to grab him, we have Jims cage on the floor so he can go in and out as he pleases and if he is in his cage try to leave him alone as much as possible and let him come to us.
Just a thought, have you ever thought about having him in the house as a house bun it really brings out their personalities.

Last edited:
Dill is abit like that with us.He is actually quite a confident bun but doesn't seem to like alot of physical contact with humans,though he loves Barley.He will head butt my legs when im tipping food in bowl etc but if I bend to stroke him,he's off!He is getting better & to be honest as long as they are happy I am too.I used to find it upsetting but now I know he doesn't hate me[he will follow me into bathroom & sit with me]ive got used to the fact he doesn't want strokes at the minute.Just give your bun time & hopefully he will come round.:)

My Louie is nearly 14 weeks old, we have had him for 3 weeks or so. He has, over the past few days, only just stopped running away from us when we approach him. He is still a bit wary but will now come up to you for a stroke and attempt to climb up your leg, but I don't really tend to pick him up as most rabbits aren't keen on this.

Once he is totally confidant with us, I will start picking him up more regularly. I have yet to own a rabbit that actually loves to be picked up!

How your rabbit is behaving is totally normal. It takes them quite a while to learn to trust you and to form a bond with you :D

Back