• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me! Pumpkin was killed today

confusedman, do you have any photos, if you start a thread in stories and photos, we may be able to suggest something?

May I add my sorrow that 2 people should have lost their bunnies to foxes. what a terrible shock for you both. May I also warn that a fox will take a cat.
Some runs have a sort of skirt of wire, which is secured to the ground with tent pegs.
I had also thought about modifying the entrance to a hutch to resemble the entrance to a warren. A rabbit can run through 2 right angle bends which a fox cannot negotiate. I have not tried this.
However the sound & smell of predators can terrify rabbits, which is why mine became a house rabbit very quickly. We may know they are safe but they don't.

Ufff... I#m getting really anxious.... I saw a fox in my garden a couple of days ago...
I think the hutch is secure but I am worried about the conection between the run and the hutch... :cry:
Sorry I'm not able to see the connection too well - Can you put a couple of "press release bolts on each side?"

In the picture here
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=181999
you can see the hutch and the run and how they are attached. It's not easy to move the run but I am worried anyway. On the other side of the hutch (the right handside that the picture doesn't show) there is a big pot with a plant (quite heavy) blocking the run against the hutch. Do you think this is enough>?

I would use some hasp and staple locks (like this) on the left hand side. You should be able to attach the hasp (the big piece) to the front of the hutch & the other to the side of the run at a right angle, then secure with padlocks. Do you have any fixings on the lid of the run?

I'm so sorry to hear about these poor bunnies :(

Its always awful to lose a pet, but in such circumstances I can't even begin to imagine how awful it would be finding your bunnies like that :(

Urban foxes have no fear of man. When they have taken 1 bunny they keep coming back for the others.
You can ask the local vet if cats are going missing in the area. If so, the pest control officer (council) may use traps.
There is "biochemical warfare" of scenting. (advised but not tried, cos mine has an acute sense of smell) Pest control said Jeyes fluid at boundaries deters fox.
You may have to redesign the hutch & run - make your own.
Every one with this problem has my sympathy for the shock & worry.

I feel that even the presence of a human in the garden with their free range bunnies will NOT deter a determined fox from attacking. At my local rabbit rescue, all the buns are housed either in a secure shed or aviary type accomodation and are safe from foxes but a couple of weeks ago, I was feeding the buns in the shed and a fox was about 3 feet from me and I had a real job scaring her off :shock:

I don't know whether it is any consolation, but most rabbits die of fear (heart stops) before they are caught. It is still terrible, but at least no physical pain.

I don't know whether it is any consolation, but most rabbits die of fear (heart stops) before they are caught. It is still terrible, but at least no physical pain.

I know it sounds odd but thats good too hear. i hope that happened for Pumpkin, i think it proberly did as there was no fluff about so i dont think there was a struggle. Knowing there was no struggle is very important to me.

May I add my sorrow that 2 people should have lost their bunnies to foxes. what a terrible shock for you both. May I also warn that a fox will take a cat.

Another worry for me!! I have 3 cats!!! They havnt been allowed out yet as we have only been in the new house for 3 weeks. No im unsure whether i want them to go out. We have fields all around us so im sure theres lots of foxes around :(

Nikki , i hope you are doing ok xxx

I'm so sorry to read this. How awful for you... poor Pumpkin. :cry:

((hugs)) to you x

(We are only about half an hour away from you - nice to have someone on the forum so close!)

Rural foxes are still wary of man. They have a good food supply in the fields, which is easier to catch. I reckon your cats will be OK. Round here the foxes didn't bother us, until they started to build a massive housing estate on the fields, but weren't allowed to disturb the earths. Obviously the foxes moved in for food & couldn't scrounge much from wheelie bins. Still need to fox proof the bunny runs though. Sorry to have worried you. :wave:

How awful. So sorry to hear about the killed bunnies. :(:( I recently chased a fox out of my garden, and it dropped a bunny's head before it escaped over the fence. I still haven't found out who the owner of the bunny was, but it was definitely not a wild bunny. So far there haven't been any attempts to break into my hutches, I have secured most bits of the mesh with perspex shutters. But I know that some determined foxes can even bite through the wood. If you can't hear your bunnies thump from your bedroom, it might be worth getting one of those baby phones that sends far enough from your garden to your bedroom.

Back