• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help i dont know what to do for the best/update

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
yes ive been successful bonding my four..theyve been living in a pen in my lounge and running looses in the evenings being penned up overnight etc.
Yesterday i told my mum and my daughter that finally for the first time in a month or so i would be returning to sleeping in my bed upstairs not the settee near the buns...i was sohappy..willow and bif were so cuddly with each other today..its the cutests thing ive ever seen i said..

talk about running beofre you can walk:(

my mum had been here about an hour or so and suddenly bif started going for willow..her tail was so far over her back she was showing her ladybits!

it seemed to calm down a little so we thought well we are late leting them out but we cleared away the nibbles and let them out..it made it ten times worse so after 2 hours or so back in the pen as willow had taken refuge behind a pile of boxes in the kitchen:(

bif carried on like it so for her own safety and willows and my need to catch some sleep as im epileptic i popped her in a smallish plastic cat carrier with soft bedding blankets a towel and loadsa hay...she didnt want to drink she dumped stuf in the bowl so i took it out.

she had some seren um too..a 5ml dose..it didnt stop her during the vening but she slept so soundly and was very peaceful. let her out this morning wel late morning and she wasnt showing her bits and seemed ok..until suddenly she fliped her tail up dag furiously at each litter pan and attacked willow again.

we tried bonding sessions in the bunny buggy again but she went nuts.

shes damaged her toe nail...i have blood stains on my t shirt but the blod isnt running just a smudge. shes been aggressive with the other two buns too...then had a cuddle then attacked them..all the while going mad in the litter trays.
i realised i cant find poos or tel if shes weed or not..she keeps going in the trays with her tial up cos of the aggression but doesnt seem to do anything.

i looked in the cat carrier..shes done 2 squishy poos in one corner and shes doing teeny hard poos.
shes not eating her hay like she does and seems off her food but is soo agressive.
um she smells odd..like doritos!!

could unbonding right..could be bladder related..could be gut probs...could be dental probs again......could be stress from fireworks around n about new years eve..... could be al of em.

should i leave the cat carrier in the epn with the others again overnight...or shaould i just keep it near me to nurse her overnight...
would leaving it in the pen help the bond stay with the other two buns..should i put her weeny pal in with her or just her.....im so confused....

i want to take her up on the settee with me and nurse her and ring vets firat thinng..i have my first aid kit and i have fibreplex..infacol.....liquid metaclopramide too and the serenum we used last night on her.

her health is more important than bonding but i dont want her to be the odd one out when shes better..shall i just do what i think she needs and play it by ear?

if shes got to have a dental..which bun goes ith her?

please help!

Last edited:
Bif's aggression may be because she has pain/feels poorly

Personally I would keep her seperately and get her checked by your vet ASAP

Janex

If she is going for all of them then personally I think I would totally separate her. It will reduce stress for all of them and maybe she might eat if shes not worrying about them? If shes reluctant to eat then it sounds like it might be her teeth too :( Especially if she is prone to dental problems. If you separate her totally then you can see if she is eating/drinking/pooing etc. Do you have painkillers? If its her teeth then maybe she might eat a little after some painkillers, before you can get her to the vets for a checkup? Maybe pen off a small area so she can still run around and help keep her guts moving?
The funny smell could be due to her being territorial. Bailey smelt quite strong the other night and was trying to bite Luuna through her cage bars. Now she is out of his reach and not in 'his territory' he smells normal again.
It must be awful for you that she has fallen out with them when they have just bonded :( I know how upset I am about my two falling out, especially when they were so happy together :( Hopefully she will bond back in easily after a dental if she needs one. Maybe leave the other three with something smelling of her? And wipe her over with their scent before reintroducing her?
I hope she is ok and that any problems are sorted easily :)

:wave: thank you both for the advice..i have actually already seperated her..we took down the xmas tree to make room for bandits old cage which bif fits as theyre medium small buns.
Bandits in the epn with wilow and bertie..all 3 of them have been trying to comfort her through the bars..bertie was so upset he culdnt get to her as was bandit ..but the trio are having to get on without her.

We have bathed her foot and put wound powder on it....shes also had fibreplex and some liquid metaclopramide. i have mislaid the infacol darn it.
shes had her bottom bathed and dried and cornstarch powdered. so shes comfy.

shes not able to drink and shes got upset trying to eat hay and pellets..so its her teeth im sure. shes eaten a few cranberries so its something. i only have out of date recvoery buti dont want to even soften pellets as shes having probs with her mouth..but i do have emergency jars of baby food.
i have made her the softest comfiest bed with pet rug folded up and her piece of fleece she slept on last night. i will syringesome fluids down her too. luckily im sleeping down here to keep an eye on the other three..i can look after bif all night till i can ring the vets first thing. shes pooped some weeny weeny poos only 8 but as long as shes going at all its a good sign.

Ill update you tomorrow once ive taken her to the vets. fingers crossed.

as for the serene um

http://www.markandchappell.com/SereneUm.htm

well i was on the phone to the nurse at shedfield hospital at 2 am and i was panicking like crazy... but whilst i was being calmed down by the nirse..if decided to eat three pelets..poo three or four of the teeniest poos ever seen.
she also made the effort to eat a cranberry and a pineapple pill..just to say look mum im ok ill hang on till morning honest!

the nurse said i was doing the best as usual and to ring if she got worse..but in the meantime she got me in at the local branch for 9am this morning!! i got to bed around 6am..up at 7.50am.....and taxi at 8.30.....vets at 9am....yup knackered!!

our vet rob said she had no distention or bloat..no obstructions.....no swellings (i guess bladder infection would leave a swelling all the time)
it sounded typical dental probs..except he was stunned..no sign of a spur and her teeth were short and clean...perfect almost!
Bif had obviously lost a nail on the other back foot in the last week or so...but it had healed. Her toenail thats ripped off is a bit sore to say the least...as usual bathe in salty water mix and put antiseptic cream on it he said. i had been bathing and using wound powder until the blood had stopped for good.
The cause...stress......
but the bonding was almost complete..her n willow had finallly curled up together regularly and washed each other etc and had been running round together in the lounge with bandit in tow and bertie snoring!

so i guess its only natural her n willow would be the first to unbond.

we gave bif metaclopramide liquid last night and rob gave her it in a jab this morning and said its in the blood for 8 hrs. he said just continue with the fibreplex as shed done a weeny pile of poo but the poos were 3 times the size they were but still sooooo small.

he gave her a painkiller for her foot...and both jabs went in her thigh whilst she was in my arms. She was again cuddly and amazingly relaxed in my arms..quite unlike other bunnies and their owners rob said..and moreover so unlike bif. but i said the other buns had made her like this..more relaxed.

or is it shes closer tome than i thpught and its my stress and upset since xmas day thats upset her along with my mum...the sleep pattern thats non existent....the 3 days of no sleep chasing two nasty kitties climbing wrecking the xmas tree. new years eve fireworks.....her toenail from the other day...all combined i guess equals as much stress as if newly bonding. so im keeping her in bandits cage alongside the pen panels with the other buns within nose touching distance. i hope she gets better and soon..i hate seeing bertie doing his impression of dumbo seperated from his mummy in the rain!!!

any tips? should i restrict the other three to the pen until she stabilises?

he said this time to keep her seperate till shes fully recovered and i can monitor her poo and wee output. poor bif.

well i was on the phone to the nurse at shedfield hospital at 2 am and i was panicking like crazy... but whilst i was being calmed down by the nirse..if decided to eat three pelets..poo three or four of the teeniest poos ever seen.
she also made the effort to eat a cranberry and a pineapple pill..just to say look mum im ok ill hang on till morning honest!

the nurse said i was doing the best as usual and to ring if she got worse..but in the meantime she got me in at the local branch for 9am this morning!! i got to bed around 6am..up at 7.50am.....and taxi at 8.30.....vets at 9am....yup knackered!!

our vet rob said she had no distention or bloat..no obstructions.....no swellings (i guess bladder infection would leave a swelling all the time)
it sounded typical dental probs..except he was stunned..no sign of a spur and her teeth were short and clean...perfect almost!
Bif had obviously lost a nail on the other back foot in the last week or so...but it had healed. Her toenail thats ripped off is a bit sore to say the least...as usual bathe in salty water mix and put antiseptic cream on it he said. i had been bathing and using wound powder until the blood had stopped for good.
The cause...stress......
but the bonding was almost complete..her n willow had finallly curled up together regularly and washed each other etc and had been running round together in the lounge with bandit in tow and bertie snoring!

so i guess its only natural her n willow would be the first to unbond.

we gave bif metaclopramide liquid last night and rob gave her it in a jab this morning and said its in the blood for 8 hrs. he said just continue with the fibreplex as shed done a weeny pile of poo but the poos were 3 times the size they were but still sooooo small.

he gave her a painkiller for her foot...and both jabs went in her thigh whilst she was in my arms. She was again cuddly and amazingly relaxed in my arms..quite unlike other bunnies and their owners rob said..and moreover so unlike bif. but i said the other buns had made her like this..more relaxed.

or is it shes closer tome than i thpught and its my stress and upset since xmas day thats upset her along with my mum...the sleep pattern thats non existent....the 3 days of no sleep chasing two nasty kitties climbing wrecking the xmas tree. new years eve fireworks.....her toenail from the other day...all combined i guess equals as much stress as if newly bonding. so im keeping her in bandits cage alongside the pen panels with the other buns within nose touching distance. i hope she gets better and soon..i hate seeing bertie doing his impression of dumbo seperated from his mummy in the rain!!!

any tips? should i restrict the other three to the pen until she stabilises?

he said this time to keep her seperate till shes fully recovered and i can monitor her poo and wee output. poor bif.

Just wanted to ask is your local vet Animed and where the branch is? Just wandering what decent vets around for buns!

:wave:
yup it sure is!!

our fave bun vet is expecting her first baby this month...my buns adore "aunty petra":lol: but her hubby rob is actually an exotics vet as is caroline his boss. I go to the cowplain branch where rob is most of the week..caroline does saturdays there.

i know the shifts vary and are shared with shedfield..i cant rember when tho since petra left its a bit diff.

heres the link to branches locally..theres one in portsmouth but i dont know the vets there.

http://www.animed.co.uk/sa_dept/branclin.htm

Aw, poor girlie :( I hope she feels better really soon and starts eating again for you. I really thought it sounded like her teeth too! Hopefully she is more calm now, sending nose rubs for her :)

:wave:
yup it sure is!!

our fave bun vet is expecting her first baby this month...my buns adore "aunty petra":lol: but her hubby rob is actually an exotics vet as is caroline his boss. I go to the cowplain branch where rob is most of the week..caroline does saturdays there.

i know the shifts vary and are shared with shedfield..i cant rember when tho since petra left its a bit diff.

heres the link to branches locally..theres one in portsmouth but i dont know the vets there.

http://www.animed.co.uk/sa_dept/branclin.htm

She currently goes to the Animed in Gosport, but at some point as my O/H is terminally ill she will be moving to my Farlington and I would like to keep her with Animed but wanted to make sure the Cowplain one had vets that were very knowledgeable about rabbits rather than taking her to the vets within Pets at Home as there you have to pay a consultation fee everytime and I don't know if it's the same at Cowplain but in Gosport you don't pay a consultation fee unless you ask for a Health Check! So if getting jab you just pay that cost!

Back