• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help bunny had babies and i have questions !

It looks as though you have a mix of agouti and fawn/orange or possibly even sooty-fawn (can't see their tums) kits judging by the heads peeping up and they look about 3-4 days old to me.

With a litter of 9, it's possible, or even probable, there could be a runt amongst them who might fade away in the next day or two but mum should be perfectly capable of easily raising a litter of 8.

I thought that, although i cant seem to see one that is smaller or looks weaker but then it is hard to tell, they are all still alive and very much kicking at the moment, im so proud of mum for doing a great job so far, i can not wait to see them out and about,

I will try and take a few more pictures later today, when mum goes out for her exercise. :)

Yeah i thought the Nest was massive,
She has tons of hay in like a wire thing on the living area attached to the outside of the hutch she pulls it through that, i did that so she didnt get her poo on her hey, i have put some in the bedding area also.

All the babies are together in the nest, and all still seem very active, mum is doing well, has spent most days in the garden coming back in at night as usual and seems quite happy, I really would like to move them into the new hutch so they all have more space but am waiting until 10 days today is 6 i think, so if i wait until the weekend will that be ok ?

I would wait until they are coming out the nest before you move them then transfer the whole of the nest over to the new hutch

Ok will wait :( i hope they start coming out soon then lol, im just so worried about the space they have or dont have as the case may be :oops:

There is one thing about rabbit birth that I know is a myth because I have tested it out myself, every litter that my rabbits have given birth to have been handled since the day they were born and we have had very few deaths, but those deaths occurred because the babies had gotten out of the cage overnight and got cold, and died of the cold. So my point is do not be afraid to move or handle the kits.
Whenever a rabbit has babies it is a good idea to either buy a new cage or baby-rabbit-proof the cage, meaning make sure that they can not get out of the cage, and make sure the cage is big enough, for as I mentioned before if a baby rabbit does not have fur or hay to be under they will die of cold even in the summer.
Also you may never see the mother nurse her babies, because rabbits never nurse their young in front of humans. And do not be afraid of the mother stepping on the babies, because even if she does the babies are very tough and it won't harm them, but if you do see her stepping on the babes it is good to take the babies out from underneath her.

There is one thing about rabbit birth that I know is a myth because I have tested it out myself, every litter that my rabbits have given birth to have been handled since the day they were born and we have had very few deaths, but those deaths occurred because the babies had gotten out of the cage overnight and got cold, and died of the cold. So my point is do not be afraid to move or handle the kits.
Whenever a rabbit has babies it is a good idea to either buy a new cage or baby-rabbit-proof the cage, meaning make sure that they can not get out of the cage, and make sure the cage is big enough, for as I mentioned before if a baby rabbit does not have fur or hay to be under they will die of cold even in the summer.
Also you may never see the mother nurse her babies, because rabbits never nurse their young in front of humans. And do not be afraid of the mother stepping on the babies, because even if she does the babies are very tough and it won't harm them, but if you do see her stepping on the babes it is good to take the babies out from underneath her.

Just so you know, mother rabbits, if they choose to reject a kit, will sometimes push it out of the nest, so that may have been what you have seen, rather than the baby getting out under its own steam.

My charlie fed her babies in front of me did do right from the beginning

Maybe it is true that a mother rejects her kits but I know that my mother did not reject the kits because she was not in the cage when they wiggled out, and I have watched them squirm out.

Babies @ 6 days old

Baby%20bunnies%206%20days%20old
[/URL] [/IMG]

i got quite close with the lens.

what are fox markings :cry: ??

Dont be sad! Its not a bad thing! Its pretty markings. Its like otter but no yellow/orange shades, its just white markings around the nose, eyes, inside ears, bottoms of feet, tummy etc.

They look like at least a couple will grow up to be marked like my Annabella: http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/Nessa_Roche/SAM_3043.jpg the white bits I mean, not the random gingery bits and grey bits :lol:

Dont be sad! Its not a bad thing! Its pretty markings. Its like otter but no yellow/orange shades, its just white markings around the nose, eyes, inside ears, bottoms of feet, tummy etc.

They look like at least a couple will grow up to be marked like my Annabella: http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/Nessa_Roche/SAM_3043.jpg the white bits I mean, not the random gingery bits and grey bits :lol:

awwwww :D she is s cute !!!!

Now you say that mum has a very slight sign of markings like that so does dad, so your prob right, im very excited about what they will look like :D
Im sure i will love every one of them, will be very hard to say good bye i think.

This is mum, she has just come in for some family time, you can see she has that slight mark around her nose. :D

[/URL][/IMG]

This is mum, she has just come in for some family time, you can see she has that slight mark around her nose. :D

[/URL][/IMG]

Mum looks like an opal which is part of the family of otters/agoutis and suchlike. I'm unsure if fox is part of that family, but in my experience, it's not easy to tell until the bunny has full fur if it's an otter or fox. I think you have a tort (maybe lilac?), some black selfs some agoutis and yeh, otter or fox.

ETA- looking closer the one I took to be an otter/fox appears to have patterned fur, so I'm wondering something else now, but not sure what. Maybe a really dark agouti, maybe a really dark sable marten. Doesn't look like a chin.

Last edited:
Back